Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Where's my flying car we were promised we'd have in 2020?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The Star Trek phaser with stun setting. Which actually has a 99.9% chance of disabling a target. Instantly. I hate the thought of taking another life. I know they have tasers and such. But those are not all that effective in some cases and the damn wires, with the probes, can be useless if the person is wearing a heavy coat. Pepper spray also has it's disadvantages.
    he said reasonable, even if something like phaser tech was real, it would still just be considered "less lethal" like tasers.

10+ Year Old Account
    That’s a trick question... if we are missing a variable for this technology, how is any technology derived from it, reasonable? I think a better question is what technology we already have, that could lead to Sci Fi stuff.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Where's my flying car we were promised we'd have in 2020?!

[video=youtube;tTq6Tofmo7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTq6Tofmo7E[video]
    Casual and cheap flying cars are a long ways off but I've been seeing more people flying on drones so maybe those will become more safe and reliable in the next 20 years.

---

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeeeesh, I wouldn't use THAT thing in a million years...

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So either you're saying they had no conflicts until Europeans arrived or their conflicts somehow weren't an incentive to develop.

You need to invent new forms of cooking because your society grows larger, not because of conflict. Conflicts are great in helping develop stuff that does not need to last very long.

I couldn't find anything about the parsons' turbine being invented because of conflict.

I'd say the biggest driving factor in human development would be society.
    You are not wrong, and those are fine points. I recognize I am over generalizing, but I do hold that conflict is the single largest driver of technological advancement, although it is not the only one. The one specific to turbines is their development, not their invention. Conflict leads to more rapid development, but only rarely completely new technologies.

Anyway, on topic: I think the most plausible and useful sci-fi techs we could have is underwater habitation and farming. If we had chosen to pursue that route in the early 1900s, we could have cities scattered across the continental shelf all around the world, safe from hurricanes and most other natural disasters. We could have gotten our food supply from algae, instead of from artificial ammonia based fertilizers, developed safer and more practical submarines and so forth. All the technology has been doable in theory since the late 1800s, hence Jules Verne writing about it. But we never pursued it, which might be for the best, or not. We aren't likely to find out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Yeeeesh, I wouldn't use THAT thing in a million years...
    I would love to fly around if it was safe! I had just seen a new video of a person casually flying on a different drone a week ago and it was way more smooth and stable and the person wasn't even using a helmet and boots that fully lock in. I went to Twitter to grab the video but they had taken it down.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    he said reasonable, even if something like phaser tech was real, it would still just be considered "less lethal" like tasers.
    Tasers use barbs which aren't always reliable and they're connected to copper wires. One of those electrical zappy guns from Stargate would be ideal.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-08-08 at 12:43 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Honestly that we haven't really built Arcologies yet. I believe we have the technical ability to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    I know. I think it is reasonable. If it was that accurate as I mentioned in stopping a threat, then I would certainly prefer to use it than carry my firearm for self defense. Less lethal items we have now, do not have that high of level of stopping a threat. And esp. if the attacker is also armed with a firearm. Then you are at a disadvantage.

With the phaser, with 99.9% effective rate, you would be on equal terms without taking a life. More than likely would have a advantage over someone with a firearm, because they do not have that high of success rate at stopping a deadly attack. Only about 1/3 of people who are shot, die. And in many cases, they can still be a threat even after they are shot. Many videos of criminals still attacking after they had been shot several times exists.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Seriously going for manned space travel is going to leap our technology forward quite quickly. And I'm not talking about faster computers, cooler looking cars, and such. I'm talking about space elevators, moon bases and lighter, faster rockets. Aerogel being used for insulation will save tons of space already, it is just expensive as hell to make right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

This is sort of off topic in a sense, but I think technological progress has not progressed in the last decade as fast as it had the decade before, largely due to the fact that companies don't need to innovate in order to sell their products. Like for smartphones, most substantial upgrades are camera related. So in the same vein, I feel like we could have widely more intricate phones, but just don't because there's no incentive. There is a massive difference between the first iPhone and the 6th, but minimal differences between the 6th and the current one. PPI has barely changed, the internals have only gradually increased but that's expected. Nothing exciting.

There's also an argument to be made about how energy production in sci-fi is much higher than ours, and the only way to get that is through the use of Nuclear/Solar/Wind simultaneously to achieve it. However, the fear-mongering of Nuclear has held back the field immensely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

Honestly that we haven't really built Arcologies yet. I believe we have the technical ability to do so.
    Ah yeah that's one reason why I put "indoors agriculture" on my sci-fi list. Arcology is a self-sustaining or self-contained mega city which means that society must learn to internalize production. Probably we would have to make a project like that work on Earth before we could truly start space colonization.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-08-08 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    This is sort of off topic in a sense, but I think technological progress has not progressed in the last decade as fast as it had the decade before, largely due to the fact that companies don't need to innovate in order to sell their products. Like for smartphones, most substantial upgrades are camera related. So in the same vein, I feel like we could have widely more intricate phones, but just don't because there's no incentive. There is a massive difference between the first iPhone and the 6th, but minimal differences between the 6th and the current one. PPI has barely changed, the internals have only gradually increased but that's expected. Nothing exciting.

There's also an argument to be made about how energy production in sci-fi is much higher than ours, and the only way to get that is through the use of Nuclear/Solar/Wind simultaneously to achieve it. However, the fear-mongering of Nuclear has held back the field immensely.
    Why take a giant step forward when you can take a baby step and then sell that product for 1k+?
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Anyway, on topic: I think the most plausible and useful sci-fi techs we could have is underwater habitation and farming. If we had chosen to pursue that route in the early 1900s, we could have cities scattered across the continental shelf all around the world, safe from hurricanes and most other natural disasters. We could have gotten our food supply from algae, instead of from artificial ammonia based fertilizers, developed safer and more practical submarines and so forth. All the technology has been doable in theory since the late 1800s, hence Jules Verne writing about it. But we never pursued it, which might be for the best, or not. We aren't likely to find out.
    Eh, there's a few reasons we didn't develop underwater cities.

Pressure is no joke, even at a depth of 30', and you'd need to be double that to really avoid hurricanes.
    Catastrophic failure risk.
    Cost of maintenance and supplies. The logistics of just air are pretty crazy unless we developed some magic building material where you didn't need to pressurize the compartments. Let alone the difference between how corrosive air and salt water are.
    Continental shelves are generally in seismically active areas.

The benefit (as far as I can see) is basically just ignoring the surface weather. Not really a good trade off. If you've got some other benefits in mind, what would they be?

I am, obviously, separating aquaculture and underwater cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The benefit (as far as I can see) is basically just ignoring the surface weather. Not really a good trade off. If you've got some other benefits in mind, what would they be?
    Habitable land? We are talking about populating the universe, before we populated most of the earth. We have not tapped full potential of earth... It also why we are around .60 on the Kardeshev scale... we have not even tapped the full energy potential of the planet and none of the current means are sustainable to even reach Tier 1...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The Star Trek phaser with stun setting. Which actually has a 99.9% chance of disabling a target. Instantly. I hate the thought of taking another life. I know they have tasers and such. But those are not all that effective in some cases and the damn wires, with the probes, can be useless if the person is wearing a heavy coat. Pepper spray also has it's disadvantages.
    So here's a hypothetical question for you. If we did perfect a "stun gun" that has a 99.99% success rate, should we still allow lethal firearm possession?

OT: Like others have said, automated transportation. The human element is the main cause of automobile deaths because of an idiot behind a wheel or intoxication. A synchronized network of vehicles would likely save thousands of lives while providing the practicality of doing something else while getting from point A to B.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post

Arcology, my favourite spire in Surviving Mars.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Arcology, my favourite spire in Surviving Mars.
    Yeah, there's no match for it, sometimes use the sanatorium or the medical one. But nothing saves as much space and opens up as much options as the acrology spire, especially in basic domes. Great game, and great DLC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah, there's no match for it, sometimes use the sanatorium or the medical one. But nothing saves as much space and opens up as much options as the acrology spire, especially in basic domes. Great game, and great DLC.
    Yes, I wish they had continued making more DLC's.

I only use Arcology until I start making combined megacolonies that have an extensive pathway network and then dip those other spires in.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Lightspeed engines.
    Energy weapons.
    Sonic weapons.
    Power armors.