Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What is the most frustrating game you have ever played?

i would say Geometry dash

5+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect ANDROMEDA, it was like someone rap* me from Geths to Ketts.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

surgeon simulator. controls drove me so bonkers - I gave up. and I get that its kinda the point but.. /shrug

Overlord for the NES....still have no idea how that game works

Getting over it with Bennet Foddy....but its made to be frustrating so doesnt count

i think world of warcraft is the most frustrating game i ever played. then ninja gaiden on nes was pretty hard too.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to be bashed hard for this, but here goes.

1. Shadow of War. I played at release when the post-game content was just slogging through 20 assaults to unlock the secret ending and you could not skip captains intro when they spotted you. This meant disrupting the pace every single time with 7+ people speaking their piece in your face endlessly.
    I even lost a bleeding captain of my own because the enemies would not stop talking to me and I kept falling from the same wall.
    I have no idea if that bullcrap is fixed now but I was frustrated to the point that I will never play the game again.

2. Borderlands 3. Every dialogue was pure cringe. The majority of characters was pure cringe. The big baddies were designed to be cringe because they represent post-apocalyptic instagram stars or something? My character had no weight throughout the game and they kept pushing a very unlikable brat to be the next best thing (if you played the game, you know who I mean).
    After the credits rolled the game prompted me with all the post-game content I could tackle. I instead saved my game and turned off my console. That was 3 months ago.

3. Kingdom Hearts 3. Incredibly bad narrative. Nothing to tie the worlds together apart from supposed macguffin nonsense. Sora and company always had at least marginal roles in every world before, but this time they were just... there.
    This is true for the Frozen world where you get smacked around a mountain while the plot unfolds elsewhere. The Pirates world was the worst offender because you literally play a semi Black Flag inspired minigame while cutscenes play with the original cast of characters, as if SORA WAS NOT THERE AT ALL. Especially frustrating because I loved previous installments.

4. No Man's Sky. I need to buy a house consisting of 4 walls, a roof and a window. I will just need 200 carbon units, 40 glass fibers, 80 wood specimens, 120 anti-radiation panels and a nuclear core too for good measure.
    If I get bored of this planet, I can always lift off! I just have to grind resources to get the fuel needed. Actually there are three kinds of fuel: one for lift-off, one to roam space, and one for hyperspeed.
    It's just ambitious Minecraft with no fun and obnoxious crafting. I really tried to like the game but the sole prospect of having to do anything is just daunting.

5. Lords of the Fallen. Failed Dark Souls attempt with shallow combat, shallow plot, shallow world, shallow enemies, shallow everything. The frustration comes from the fact that it had the potential to be a very interesting take on the soulslike genre, but it fell flat with its grand total of two zones, gamebreaking builds and boring main characters.

I am sure there are more because I am a very critical person when it comes to videogames, but 5 is more than enough tbf. I hid possible spoilers if people have not played said games yet.
    Last edited by Lord Pebbleton; 2020-08-01 at 12:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bloodborne.

Farming for blood vials and bullets after failing fights? Check

Bullshit hidden enemies that combo you from around a corner? Check

Dodging is unreliable and clumsy? Check

Fucking hated that game so much.

Darkest Dungeon. I just quitted the game recently after losing two lv6 chars in one trip. Extreme RNG pluses extreme consequences just made me lost it.

ghouls and ghosts. i dont think i ever made it past level 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Pokemon Sword and Shield. For every great step forward they took, it felt like they took 2 steps backwards in some cases. The game was fun but the wasted potential soured the experience for me.

Also Breath of the Wild. I've never played a game where one moment I'm having an 12/10 experience and then 30 minutes later I'm having a 5/10 experience. The systems based design of the game works incredible well, but a lot of the handcrafted content they made outside of the shrines is pretty barebones and in some cases just really terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some broken weird game where you play a male character and have no change against other sex as its so broken, that you cant progress or gain lvls. (and every time you lose, you lose lvl)

Classic WOW for sure,lack of content,leveling is utter crap,community discovering new levels of arrogance and toxicity...
    The Man in Black: “They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.”
    Jacob: “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with pvp in it, sure it will cause my cardiac arrest someday but I'm still gonna do it.

I rarely rage at pve/sp games

10+ Year Old Account
    Bushido blade PS1.

1 vs 1 duel game with Samurai, no health meters, no real UI information at all. Opponents could insta kill you with a single hit and taking damage somewhere could cripple you.

You could cheat by throwing sand and such but the game considered that dishonourable and you could lose also by acting this way. I also remember that it was hard to control your character.

I borrowed the game and i returned it never to play it again, i mean it was just frustrating. Apparently it was very popular in Japan.

I Wanna Be the Guy.

Good times... Frustrating but strangely good.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mordheim city of the damned by far. I don't know why devs that make Warhammer games feel the need to make them so punishing.

I wanna kill the Kamilia 3.

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you really hate yourself.

It's a pixel platformer (IWBTG fan-game) where you can spend literally thousands of deaths on a single jump, I can't think of a more challenging or insanity inducing platformer. If you've heard of I wanna be the guy; It sprouted hundreds of fan-games that mimicked its game-play to varying degrees. This one is known quite widely among the community as one that just went a bit too far, it makes the original, Boshy and most other fan-game look like LFR to WF Mythic Raiding.

Don't see myself ever finishing it.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2020-08-01 at 03:32 PM.

Bloodbowl for sure.

Your character runs two steps, stumbles and dies.

Escape MCP on the Commodore VIC-20

After about 3rd maze i gave up

My attitude to games in general shifted to the point where it takes something really special to frustrate me. The Binding of Isaac, I think, is this kind of game for me: when you get a few good items at the start and things go smoothly, it's the best game ever. On the other hand, you will vividly remember every run where the RNG decided to be sadistic and gave you 10 active items in a row, or weird utility shit that either actively hinders you when picked up, or doesn't do anything for you at that point in time. The game absolutely LOVES to shove tons of objects to break with bombs/chests that need keys in your face every time you don't have either of those two resources on you, too.

Team Fortress 2 is in the same boat, depending on what the skill disparity is like in a given match. If your team is a packet of sausages and the enemy is pulling maximum tryhard comp strats in a casual game, things can get high-pressure fast. Especially if they start rubbing it in your face on top of all that. And nowadays there is the whole fuckery with bots being literally EVERYWHERE in the matchmaking system - I'm not even touching that, hence I haven't returned since it started.

That reminds me - DotA, both 1 and 2, were the true epitome of love/hate relationship for me. Toxic as fuck, way more than any other game I've ever played, people throwing shit-tantrums and blaming eachother for their own failings entire game, completely giving up after one death, the works. It was getting worse over the years until I finally decided that my own health is not worth it anymore. Haven't touched it in years now.