Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Well slave owners are there in China now with millions forced to free labor and no one is giving a shit. On topic, we can build jails in cheap countries and ship the criminals there to serve their time. Save tax payer money ... we can even build better quality prisons with better facilities, food and healthcare. It would be a win-win.
    Buh buh CHINA...

So you want to deport criminals. Which criminals? Which countries are you going to exile yourself to because you want to inflict harsh punishment in direct violation of the bill of rights?

Sounds like you’re a criminal in waiting and we should take care of you before it gets dangerous.

Wtf is wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    dont know how you but i feel safer knowing criminals are locked behind bars.
    And no one is arguing that criminals shouldn't be sent to prison. Take your strawman and leave.

Life in punishment for petty theft is excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    People just don't care about prisoners and their quality of life.
    Again, you don't care about prisoners and are projecting that belief on everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Nice “argument”. Care to explain why excessive punishment isn’t sociopathy?
    Because believe it or not but having an opinion on a tricky subject matter doesnt in fact make you a sociopath.

Also you are thinking of a psychopath not a sociopath. Sociopaths suffer from anti social behavior not violent thoughts.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't even know where to start with the fucking depth of idiocy you just spouted there.

You do understand that the times when those punishments were common practice were WILDY and SAVAGELY violent. Curbing those practices went hand in hand with curbing crime and violence. We stopped doing that shit because people realized that the societal consequences were so severe that they made the problems they were meant to address significantly worse.

- - - Updated - - -

With the exception of the armed robbery the other ones are non violent, failed and even outright simply just petty...."attempted forgery of a check worth $150"....like for real.
    forgery is a felony, everywhere in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    forgery is a felony, everywhere in the USA.
    A non-violent felony. And?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A non-violent felony. And?
    its not a petty crime.

There seems to be an inference that simply imprisonment for any crime is wrong and jail cells should be gotten rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There seems to be an inference that simply imprisonment for any crime is wrong and jail cells should be gotten rid of.
    If that's what you've gotten from these replies, you need to go back and reread.

There literally isn't this "inference" anywhere. Nobody has suggested this that I've seen, just that prison sentences should reflect the nature of the crimes committed and that Bryant's prior history and his attempt to steal a pair of hedge trimmers doesn't warrant life in prison.

Yes, some people are inferring that. But its not something that is being implied by anyone.

No one is saying criminals should not be punished.

What is being said is that life in prison over garden tools is a tad bit on the excessive side.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There literally isn't this "inference" anywhere. Nobody has suggested this that I've seen, just that prison sentences should reflect the nature of the crimes committed and that Bryant's prior history and his attempt to steal a pair of hedge trimmers doesn't warrant life in prison.
    And repeat offending shouldnt be incluced in the sentencing?

I'd consider armed robbery and forgery big crimes myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Most countries would not consider petty theft as a repeat offense that would warrant life in prison, no.

Sure. And he was already convicted and sentenced for both of those crimes.

And I'll say it again. If all of his felonies were violent...we would all be having a different conversation now. 3 strikes on violent offenses is something that a lot of us can at least understand.

Factoring in previous crimes into sentencing is even something I can live with. But even if you were to add the sentence for each of his prior convictions to the normal sentence for petty theft...he would have served that sentence almost twice by now.

I'd consider forgery big crimes myself.
    You do understand that not all forgery is the same. Because if it were, about 80% of American teenagers should have felony records for fake IDs and forging their parent's signatures on permission slips and school reports.

150$ is not something we should imprison someone over. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You do understand that not all forgery is the same. Because if it were, about 80% of American teenagers should have felony records for fake IDs and forging their parent's signatures on permission slips and school reports.

150$ is not something we should imprison someone over. Ever.
    Yeah yeah Ive heard people saying "its only 150" he did small amounts so it wouldnt be caught. You think if they didnt notice the 150 and charge him he would have stopped at one and not kept doing it??

Again, nobody argued that prior criminal history shouldn't be a factor. Just that his prior history combined with his last offense don't justify life in prison.

Yeah yeah Ive heard people saying "its only 150" he did small amounts so it wouldnt be caught. You think if they didnt notice the 150 and charge him he would have stopped at one and not kept doing it??
    Last I heard innocent until proven guilty was still a thing. Sending someone to jail for the rest of his life because you think he might commit more crimes kinda goes against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Last I heard innocent until proven guilty was still a thing. Sending someone to jail for the rest of his life because you think he might commit more crimes kinda goes against that.
    No need to think about it, he does continue to commit crimes until caught

I guess by the 10th time he will learn his lesson?

No need to think about it, he does continue to commit crimes until caught

I guess by the 10th time he will learn his lesson?
    That is how the law works. You can only convict someone of a crime after they have committed it. It gets problematic when you try to do it the other way around.