Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Why are you equating morality with the law?
    Because law serves as his prosthetic morality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because law serves as his prosthetic morality.
    Until it's a law that goes against his viewpoints.

Fair Wayne Bryant has been granted parole after 23 years served for attempted theft of hedge clippers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arole-n1243757

He's been arrested 20 times, so recidivism is still a possibility, but jailing him for life for his petty crimes is wasteful, hopefully he takes better care of himself now.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Fair Wayne Bryant has been granted parole after 23 years served for attempted theft of hedge clippers.
    Well, that's some good news at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    First...I very much doubt he ever got a second chance considering that the American prison system has a rough rehabilitation rate of zero...that further being compounded of him being a black man in Louisiana.

Also his criminal career seems to be him mostly sucking at being a criminal.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd just like to point out that kleptomania is a mental illness, aka an impulse control disorder that is typically manageable with anti depressants and therapy.

I don't think the guy has kleptomania. I think he just had a pretty shitty series of circumstances compounding his situation into the absurdity he ended up in.
    His second chances should have been spent getting help instead of stealing. A career criminal is a career criminal, why bring up race?
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveplanets View Post
    Maybe Russia can bend their requirements to be President, and Trump can be President over there. Make the Motherland Great Again.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    His second chances should have been spent getting help instead of stealing. A career criminal is a career criminal, why bring up race?
    Because race is highly relevant when it comes to:

1. Opportunities.
    2. Sentencing.
    3. Rehabilitation.
    4. Being alive in America.
    5. Being alive in the US South.
    6. Being alive in the South before the 1970s, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well, that's some good news at least...
    It's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Because race is highly relevant when it comes to:

1. Opportunities.
    2. Sentencing.
    3. Rehabilitation.
    4. Being alive in America.
    5. Being alive in the US South.
    6. Being alive in the South before the 1970s, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.
    What opportunities would shears afford him? He was through the system, he must have known there are 3 strikes.

In that circumstance you just end up with an endless cycle of crime-prison-crime-prison where society is not protected from further crime and the taxpayers are paying for a massive bloated nonsensical prison system that just produces broken humans by the millions. And that's while ignoring the inherent racism and class privilege present in the justice system where bwankers are never prosecuted for laundering drug cartel money and illegally foreclosing homes and white college jocks get a slap on the wrist for murdering and raping people while poor knuckleheads like one get spend 60% of their lives in jail for petty theft.
    You're not concerned about justice, your only agenda is race.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Explain to me how garden shears are worth life in prison. Explain to me why any non-violent offender needs to be given a life sentence.
    He decided the shears were worth a third strike.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2020-10-17 at 01:55 PM.
    Maybe Russia can bend their requirements to be President, and Trump can be President over there. Make the Motherland Great Again.

When you ask 5 people what the point of jail is, to result in 5 different answers... it should be obvious that the concept of jail is a social failure in it self.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    According to the law?

Absolutely Zero.

Innocent until proven guilty.

It's really weird how you guys are still trying to justify locking a man up for his entire life over non-violent crimes.

Also, there's a false dichotomy between "coddling criminals" and "unduly harsh sentencing" some posters here are trying to force. Absolutely no one is saying that criminals should not be convicted and sentenced. What is being questioned is the idea of sending someone to prison for the rest of their life for attempting to steal lawn tools.
    He's didn't get life for lawn tools, he's getting life for repeated stealing, with attempted armed robbery in 1979. Shears or ride-able lawn mower, it's still theft.

Bryant was convicted in 1979 for attempted armed robbery, in 1987 for possession of stolen things, attempted forgery of a check worth $150 in 1989 and for simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling in 1992, all before his 1997 arrest for the failed attempt at stealing the hedge clippers.
    So we've got at least two situations that create mortal danger that he was convicted of and a bunch of other low-level criminality. The "but all he did was steal hedge clippers" defense is so obviously stupid and dishonest that it's hard to take anyone framing it that way serious. What exactly you should with someone that just keeps robbing people isn't entirely clear to me, but the right answer definitely isn't to just keep letting him out until one of his armed robberies or home invasions ends in maiming or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The "but all he did was steal hedge clippers" defense is so obviously stupid and dishonest that it's hard to take anyone framing it that way serious.
    Yes, this is literally the only possible defense a person could have for this punishment. Pretending that a series of petty crimes adds up to something on par with murder or rape. All he did was try to steal hedge clippers, and the state ends up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on prosecuting and imprisoning him. I wonder what would have happened if money like that had been spent on programs designed to actually improve people's quality of life so that they don't feel compelled to commit these sorts of poverty-related crimes in the first place. But of course I wouldn't expect a person defending his sentence to give two wet shits about the quality of life of your fellow human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah and when bread and games isn't enough and they see thier nieghbour eating steak and driving a nice car they are gonna feel entitled to it.

Human nature always wants more. You give them bread they will steal meat. I dunno why you think freebies will suddenly make someone a good person. Ego rules all
    Some years ago, someone posted an article here about inner city kids to go to high school. Imagine paying people so you can give them a better future. Enough will never be enough. Sometimes, people only want to be thugs and thieves.

Thanks Joe Biden and Bill Clinton for the 3 strike rule. Gotta keep those "super predators" in jail i guess.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-17 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, this is literally the only possible defense a person could have for this punishment. Pretending that a series of petty crimes adds up to something on par with murder or rape. All he did was try to steal hedge clippers, and the state ends up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on prosecuting and imprisoning him. I wonder what would have happened if money like that had been spent on programs designed to actually improve people's quality of life so that they don't feel compelled to commit these sorts of poverty-related crimes in the first place. But of course I wouldn't expect a person defending his sentence to give two wet shits about the quality of life of your fellow human beings.
    Do you actually believe that armed robbery and home invasions are "petty crimes"?

He's didn't get life for lawn tools, he's getting life for repeated stealing, with attempted armed robbery in 1979. Shears or ride-able lawn mower, it's still theft.
    He served his time for his other crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    So how many 2nd chances should we give him? He's a career criminal and the streets are safer without him. Not losing any sleep over this one.
    Eighth Amendment protects us from cruel and unusual punishment.

Life in prison for stealing $50 clippers is both cruel and unusual. The sentence does not match the crime. There are multiple ways of handling this. Find the man some rehabilitation services. Fine him. Some time in jail, sure. But life? Life doesn't make sense.

The problem with the American justice system is that it focuses too hard on punishment and not enough on rehabilitation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Thanks Joe Biden and Bill Clinton for the 3 strike rule. Gotta keep those "super predators" in jail i guess.
    Okay, so I guess I'll vote Trump then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    how many things went unnoticed in his criminal career? we're not allowed to deport him or send him to a penal colony anymore, he isn't fit to live with the rest of society.
    Should I have you arrested for that murder you committed that no one noticed?

What opportunities would shears afford him? He was through the system, he must have known there are 3 strikes.
    Poverty is the mother of crime. Marcus Aurelius.

If a 2nd century Roman Emperor can wrap his head around this concept, how is that you can't?

Furthermore the American justice system is literally intentionally designed to prevent people from being rehabilitated. On top of that race both plays into why people are poor and thus likely to commit a crime and to how they are unable to escape the prison trap.

Your whole shtick of dismissing how race plays into social issues like this kinda suggest to me you might be one of those tiki torch marchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Bloodsail Admiral Raspberry Lemon's Avatar
    Poverty is the mother of crime. Marcus Aurelius.

If a 2nd century Roman Emperor can wrap his head around this concept, how is that you can't?

Furthermore the American justice system is literally intentionally designed to prevent people from being rehabilitated. On top of that race both plays into why people are poor and thus likely to commit a crime and to how they are unable to escape the prison trap.

Your whole shtick of dismissing how race plays into social issues like this kinda suggest to me you might be one of those tiki torch marchers.
    no it isn't... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Fifth Amendment protects us from cruel and unusual punishment.
    Eighth Amendment, FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Eighth Amendment, FYI.
    My bad. Fixed.