Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    the law also said he can get life on his third strike, and he got 5.
    Almost like we're criticizing the nonsense law regarding three strikes. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.

problem is, he is still a repeat offender, a career criminal, with no expectations of stopping. his argument to the court isn't that he will stop and try to live crime free, its essentially 'life imprisonment is cruel, i want to be free'.
    Because for his crimes, life imprisonment is cruel.

This particular case already went to the Supreme Court and it went nowhere.
    So, a non-issue to me.

the law also said he can get life on his third strike, and he got 5.
    Yes, we are all aware of that. The fact that it happened does not make it right.

problem is, he is still a repeat offender, a career criminal, with no expectations of stopping. his argument to the court isn't that he will stop and try to live crime free, its essentially 'life imprisonment is cruel, i want to be free'.
    His argument is that he has already served 23 years for attempting to steal a garden tool.

Life imprisonment should be reserved for violent crimes.

Once again, if his "3 strikes" were all violent offenses this discussion would be different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So, a non-issue to me.
    What kind of argument is that?

Lots of things have gone to the supreme court...are they all "non-issues" to you?

So, a non-issue to me.
    *state supreme court.

If America is anything like Australia the quality and reliability of state supreme court judgments can vary from basically as good as it gets to not even worth reading.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    *state supreme court.

If America is anything like Australia the quality and reliability of state supreme court judgments can vary from basically as good as it gets to not even worth reading.
    But that is as far as it can go.
    The state Supreme Court is the final court that can rule on state cases.
    This isn't a federal issue. The US Supreme Court can't touch this.

It's an 8th amendment case so I'm pretty sure it's theoretically appealable to the US supreme court.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It most certainly can rule on this - state's routinely have their death penalty ruling reviewed by SCOTUS. And many other criminal and civil rulings. What the case won't do is wind through the Federal appellate system - it will request cert with SCOTUS, and then that's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    It's an 8th amendment case so I'm pretty sure it's theoretically appealable to the US supreme court.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth...ically_allowed

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    So how many 2nd chances should we give him? He's a career criminal and the streets are safer without him. Not losing any sleep over this one.
    And at same time you sell guns to 16 year old kids that go to a shooting rampage while not letting others drink before 21.

The most hilarious part is underneath the section where thy upheld a life sentence for stealing video tapes there's and analysis of proportionality and evolving standards of decency.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, a non-issue to me.
    Why are you equating morality with the law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Why are you equating morality with the law?
    Because law serves as his prosthetic morality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because law serves as his prosthetic morality.
    Until it's a law that goes against his viewpoints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair Wayne Bryant has been granted parole after 23 years served for attempted theft of hedge clippers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arole-n1243757

He's been arrested 20 times, so recidivism is still a possibility, but jailing him for life for his petty crimes is wasteful, hopefully he takes better care of himself now.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Fair Wayne Bryant has been granted parole after 23 years served for attempted theft of hedge clippers.
    Well, that's some good news at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    First...I very much doubt he ever got a second chance considering that the American prison system has a rough rehabilitation rate of zero...that further being compounded of him being a black man in Louisiana.

Also his criminal career seems to be him mostly sucking at being a criminal.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd just like to point out that kleptomania is a mental illness, aka an impulse control disorder that is typically manageable with anti depressants and therapy.

I don't think the guy has kleptomania. I think he just had a pretty shitty series of circumstances compounding his situation into the absurdity he ended up in.
    His second chances should have been spent getting help instead of stealing. A career criminal is a career criminal, why bring up race?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    His second chances should have been spent getting help instead of stealing. A career criminal is a career criminal, why bring up race?
    Because race is highly relevant when it comes to:

1. Opportunities.
    2. Sentencing.
    3. Rehabilitation.
    4. Being alive in America.
    5. Being alive in the US South.
    6. Being alive in the South before the 1970s, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well, that's some good news at least...
    It's something.

Because race is highly relevant when it comes to:

1. Opportunities.
    2. Sentencing.
    3. Rehabilitation.
    4. Being alive in America.
    5. Being alive in the US South.
    6. Being alive in the South before the 1970s, in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s etc.
    What opportunities would shears afford him? He was through the system, he must have known there are 3 strikes.

In that circumstance you just end up with an endless cycle of crime-prison-crime-prison where society is not protected from further crime and the taxpayers are paying for a massive bloated nonsensical prison system that just produces broken humans by the millions. And that's while ignoring the inherent racism and class privilege present in the justice system where bwankers are never prosecuted for laundering drug cartel money and illegally foreclosing homes and white college jocks get a slap on the wrist for murdering and raping people while poor knuckleheads like one get spend 60% of their lives in jail for petty theft.
    You're not concerned about justice, your only agenda is race.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Explain to me how garden shears are worth life in prison. Explain to me why any non-violent offender needs to be given a life sentence.
    He decided the shears were worth a third strike.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2020-10-17 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you ask 5 people what the point of jail is, to result in 5 different answers... it should be obvious that the concept of jail is a social failure in it self.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    According to the law?

Absolutely Zero.

Innocent until proven guilty.

It's really weird how you guys are still trying to justify locking a man up for his entire life over non-violent crimes.

Also, there's a false dichotomy between "coddling criminals" and "unduly harsh sentencing" some posters here are trying to force. Absolutely no one is saying that criminals should not be convicted and sentenced. What is being questioned is the idea of sending someone to prison for the rest of their life for attempting to steal lawn tools.
    He's didn't get life for lawn tools, he's getting life for repeated stealing, with attempted armed robbery in 1979. Shears or ride-able lawn mower, it's still theft.