Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bryant was convicted in 1979 for attempted armed robbery, in 1987 for possession of stolen things, attempted forgery of a check worth $150 in 1989 and for simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling in 1992, all before his 1997 arrest for the failed attempt at stealing the hedge clippers.
    So we've got at least two situations that create mortal danger that he was convicted of and a bunch of other low-level criminality. The "but all he did was steal hedge clippers" defense is so obviously stupid and dishonest that it's hard to take anyone framing it that way serious. What exactly you should with someone that just keeps robbing people isn't entirely clear to me, but the right answer definitely isn't to just keep letting him out until one of his armed robberies or home invasions ends in maiming or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The "but all he did was steal hedge clippers" defense is so obviously stupid and dishonest that it's hard to take anyone framing it that way serious.
    Yes, this is literally the only possible defense a person could have for this punishment. Pretending that a series of petty crimes adds up to something on par with murder or rape. All he did was try to steal hedge clippers, and the state ends up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on prosecuting and imprisoning him. I wonder what would have happened if money like that had been spent on programs designed to actually improve people's quality of life so that they don't feel compelled to commit these sorts of poverty-related crimes in the first place. But of course I wouldn't expect a person defending his sentence to give two wet shits about the quality of life of your fellow human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yeah and when bread and games isn't enough and they see thier nieghbour eating steak and driving a nice car they are gonna feel entitled to it.

Human nature always wants more. You give them bread they will steal meat. I dunno why you think freebies will suddenly make someone a good person. Ego rules all
    Some years ago, someone posted an article here about inner city kids to go to high school. Imagine paying people so you can give them a better future. Enough will never be enough. Sometimes, people only want to be thugs and thieves.

Thanks Joe Biden and Bill Clinton for the 3 strike rule. Gotta keep those "super predators" in jail i guess.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-10-17 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, this is literally the only possible defense a person could have for this punishment. Pretending that a series of petty crimes adds up to something on par with murder or rape. All he did was try to steal hedge clippers, and the state ends up spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on prosecuting and imprisoning him. I wonder what would have happened if money like that had been spent on programs designed to actually improve people's quality of life so that they don't feel compelled to commit these sorts of poverty-related crimes in the first place. But of course I wouldn't expect a person defending his sentence to give two wet shits about the quality of life of your fellow human beings.
    Do you actually believe that armed robbery and home invasions are "petty crimes"?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    He's didn't get life for lawn tools, he's getting life for repeated stealing, with attempted armed robbery in 1979. Shears or ride-able lawn mower, it's still theft.
    He served his time for his other crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonbrown View Post
    So how many 2nd chances should we give him? He's a career criminal and the streets are safer without him. Not losing any sleep over this one.
    Eighth Amendment protects us from cruel and unusual punishment.

Life in prison for stealing $50 clippers is both cruel and unusual. The sentence does not match the crime. There are multiple ways of handling this. Find the man some rehabilitation services. Fine him. Some time in jail, sure. But life? Life doesn't make sense.

The problem with the American justice system is that it focuses too hard on punishment and not enough on rehabilitation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Thanks Joe Biden and Bill Clinton for the 3 strike rule. Gotta keep those "super predators" in jail i guess.
    Okay, so I guess I'll vote Trump then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    how many things went unnoticed in his criminal career? we're not allowed to deport him or send him to a penal colony anymore, he isn't fit to live with the rest of society.
    Should I have you arrested for that murder you committed that no one noticed?
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2020-10-17 at 08:03 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What opportunities would shears afford him? He was through the system, he must have known there are 3 strikes.
    Poverty is the mother of crime. Marcus Aurelius.

If a 2nd century Roman Emperor can wrap his head around this concept, how is that you can't?

Furthermore the American justice system is literally intentionally designed to prevent people from being rehabilitated. On top of that race both plays into why people are poor and thus likely to commit a crime and to how they are unable to escape the prison trap.

Your whole shtick of dismissing how race plays into social issues like this kinda suggest to me you might be one of those tiki torch marchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Fifth Amendment protects us from cruel and unusual punishment.
    Eighth Amendment, FYI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Eighth Amendment, FYI.
    My bad. Fixed.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    no it isn't... lol...
    Really showing yourself worthy of debating Marcus Aurelius.
    /s

no it isn't... lol...
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7234816/

This is applicable anywhere.

For real? Like for realz realz? This isn't something you realized yet? Jesus fucking Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Poverty is the mother of crime. Marcus Aurelius.

If a 2nd century Roman Emperor can wrap his head around this concept, how is that you can't?

Furthermore the American justice system is literally intentionally designed to prevent people from being rehabilitated. On top of that race both plays into why people are poor and thus likely to commit a crime and to how they are unable to escape the prison trap.

Your whole shtick of dismissing how race plays into social issues like this kinda suggest to me you might be one of those tiki torch marchers.
    You're the one who brought up race twice. Why did you bring up white college jocks and rape?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Lastman#Controversy
    Mel Lastman's wife was very rich when she shoplifted.

Explain why rich businessmen embezzle money.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2020-10-18 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    That's just obscene... life sentencings should be for violent criminals that area danger to society, petty theft isn't...
    Did you miss the part where he was also convicted of attempted armed robbery? Not to mention the slew of other crimes he committed. It wasn’t the fact he got locked up over stealing hedge clippers, which reads like a CNN article. It’s the fact he was given many second chances. He used up all his second chances.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Did you miss the part where he was also convicted of attempted armed robbery? Not to mention the slew of other crimes he committed. It wasn’t the fact he got locked up over stealing hedge clippers, which reads like a CNN article. It’s the fact he was given many second chances. He used up all his second chances.
    Petty crime shouldn't be a life sentence regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotal evidence, the pinnacle of truth.

Well, now I feel safe enough to walk the streets. Thanks, rule of law.

Not sure if the guy will learn anything (most likely not) it still is good that it is not life for him. Proportional punishment is a concept that even child could understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    When you ask 5 people what the point of jail is, to result in 5 different answers... it should be obvious that the concept of jail is a social failure in it self.
    Yeah, no. Some people literally are too dangerous to be kept free. And if you don't let them go free you automatically get something called prison.

no it isn't... lol...
    Just because some rich people steal does not mean that the majority of crimes are petty theft. We are talking on average.
    I am sure you are gonna ask for statistics now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Canada is the new west.

All the greatness of the west... Capitalism, Freedom, Democracy, it's all there. It's even on the same landmass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Really showing yourself worthy of debating Marcus Aurelius.
    To be fair, your current resident provides a fairly solid argument against it. Hundreds of millions, but his adult life (and probably his teens too) have been an endless series of crimes he's never been called to account for.

And wage theft outweighs all other kinds of theft.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters