Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    https://www.unwater.org/water-facts/human-rights/


    The keyword affordable however implies that people have to actually pay for it to get it which is why no rights are violated when it is shut down

    However people in a party in LA who has their water shut down still has plenty of access to affordable clean water (just not from their pipes) so that cannot be a real concern
    I'm well aware of what the UN believes is a human right, but they are not a governing body and they don't have the ability or authority to enforce these 'rights' for every human on the planet. Ultimately, the UDHR is little more than a list of nice things a group of people thought would be cool if everyone had.

  2. #162
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    4,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I'm well aware of what the UN believes is a human right, but they are not a governing body and they don't have the ability or authority to enforce these 'rights' for every human on the planet. Ultimately, the UDHR is little more than a list of nice things a group of people thought would be cool if everyone had.
    Then there are no human rights at all because there are no rights that can or will be enforced universally..

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Then there are no human rights at all because there are no rights that can or will be enforced universally..
    Yep, that's exactly right.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Then there are no human rights at all because there are no rights that can or will be enforced universally..
    You are trying to redefine language to win an argument. That is not how it works.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  5. #165
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    4,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You are trying to redefine language to win an argument. That is not how it works.
    I have redefined nothing here.. What the f. are you even talking about?

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    I have redefined nothing here.. What the f. are you even talking about?
    Yes, you have. Either that, or you do not understand the most basic thing about human rights. They are not absolutes. Never have been. Your entire premise is wrong. Of course there are human rights. But they cannot, by definition, be enforced universally. They only exist in context.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, you have. Either that, or you do not understand the most basic thing about human rights. They are not absolutes. Never have been. Your entire premise is wrong. Of course there are human rights. But they cannot, by definition, be enforced universally. They only exist in context.
    I guess you misunderstood he was being sarcastics in response of the poster he quoted.

  8. #168
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    4,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes, you have. Either that, or you do not understand the most basic thing about human rights. They are not absolutes. Never have been. Your entire premise is wrong. Of course there are human rights. But they cannot, by definition, be enforced universally. They only exist in context.
    Read what Specialka said

    This sub thread is about Very Tired claiming water is not a human right and when confronted with the UN thinking access to water* is a human right moving on to the un's "rights" pretty much not being real, i was being sarcastic.

    *) not unconditionally since they talk about affordable not free for example
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2020-08-14 at 10:55 AM.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Read what Specialka said

    This sub thread is about Very Tired claiming water is not a human right and when confronted with the UN thinking access to water* is a human right moving on to the un's "rights" pretty much not being real, i was being sarcastic.

    *) not unconditionally since they talk about affordable not free for example
    I understood that you were sarcastic. You had no reason to be, though. He is right. The UN charta is meaningless. Human rights are granted by nations individually. They are not "real" in the sense like the law of gravity is real. Maybe I am still not understanding what the discussion is about. But people tend to overthink it and seriously arguing about access to water being a human right means not understanding what human rights are about.

    To teach the uneducated here: Human rights are not as much designed to "give" you anything. You're born with life, you're born with dignity (as far as being shat into the world can be dignified, arguably), you're born with an opinion and the ability to express it and so on and so forth. The main purpose of human rights in particular is primarily to protect you from the state curbing you from doing what we consider basic necessities of being a human being.

    So, whoever brought this water stuff up clearly went down the wrong road from the onset and anyone discussing with him on his level is helping him along the way. That discussion should have ended on page one.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    “It’s majoritarian, the majority wins, it’s ruled by the majority for the majority – sod the minority. Whereas true democracy includes everybody’s opinion in society,” - Margaret Georgiadou, 2019 about Brexit referendum.
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  10. #170
    The whole argument as to whether it's a human right or not is a red herring. The point is that your government should provide basic access to water for all citizens.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    The whole argument as to whether it's a human right or not is a red herring. The point is that your government should provide basic access to water for all citizens.
    This seems to be directly related. What else are you basing the necessity for the government to provide this service/good?

  12. #172
    Tbh the weirdest thing about this thread is how many of you think having access to water isnt/shouldnt be a human right. Thats the good ol' american education at work there.

  13. #173
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Tbh the weirdest thing about this thread is how many of you think having access to water isnt/shouldnt be a human right. Thats the good ol' american education at work there.
    Misinterpreting what’s being said is weird too.
    Wall of LOLs

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'm not opposed to incest

  14. #174
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    solve coagula
    Posts
    52,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Tbh the weirdest thing about this thread is how many of you think having access to water isnt/shouldnt be a human right. Thats the good ol' american education at work there.
    Yet, not a quote in sight...

    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Misinterpreting what’s being said is weird too.
    Is their water still turned off? Are they absolutely parched? what’s the status on this stand off? Nothing happened? Okay...
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •