1. #1

    [Megathread] Outriders



    Surprised this game is under the radar.
    It's basically a combination of Mass Effect and Diablo.

    Yes, it looks like Destiny / Anthem but the difference is that it's focused on singleplayer and has a very extensive story and RPG mechanics very similar to Mass Effect. And could be a contender with Cyberpunk 2077 for GOTY in 2020.

  2. #2
    Its one of two of Squares attempts to get GaaSed about a solid decade too late when its gone from new hotness to consumer fatigue. This just looks bland and unoriginal in all the same ways Anthem did. You are [thing], granted amazing powers by [device] and you must stop [the other] from saving the last change humanity has!*

    *by repeating the same tired shit on repeat for hopes of a minor dopamine rush from a loot drop to hopefully form a habit loop in you that will massage you into being open to the microtransactions.

    This shit was stale in 2015 let alone 2020. Its not under the radar at all. You just can't sell the same thing after its already burnt so many people hoping people will go 8th times the charm so there is no buzz.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  3. #3
    got my eye on it but i'm a bit worried that it will get all that crazy games as a service shenanigans attached to it.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,342
    Meh. Might be worth keeping an eye on. Pretty sure it will end up falling down the "live service" hole and end up a generic looter shooter. Odd the narrator of that video starts out saying how interesting the world and characters are and then later says that both have failed to grab his attention thus far.

  5. #5
    It has peeked my interest, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I don't expect much, but it would be a shame if it was a great game bogged down with predatory business practices.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its one of two of Squares attempts to get GaaSed about a solid decade too late when its gone from new hotness to consumer fatigue. This just looks bland and unoriginal in all the same ways Anthem did. You are [thing], granted amazing powers by [device] and you must stop [the other] from saving the last change humanity has!*

    *by repeating the same tired shit on repeat for hopes of a minor dopamine rush from a loot drop to hopefully form a habit loop in you that will massage you into being open to the microtransactions.

    This shit was stale in 2015 let alone 2020. Its not under the radar at all. You just can't sell the same thing after its already burnt so many people hoping people will go 8th times the charm so there is no buzz.
    Its weird seeing someone say this considering just how insanely hyped up people were for Anthem and how clearly there's a large ass community that wants such a game.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Its weird seeing someone say this considering just how insanely hyped up people were for Anthem and how clearly there's a large ass community that wants such a game.
    People want a grazer game. But people want an idea. Go look at No Mans Sky at launch as a big example. People will often jump at some version of "you can do anything" or "that mountain? you can climb it" but its never ever been what people had in their heads because the Ur-Game doesn't exist and theres a good reason people seem a lot more cynical of trend chasers, especially when said trend is monstrously skewed into more bad than good because they start from a point of "its going to be a schlooter because habit forming retention mechanics to keep the player locked in our storefront ecosystem" or something and not "i have a great idea, how do we keep the loop engaging?". Outriders thus far looks like a bad cover shooter trying to leech the audience games like Destiny and Anthem chased and people have been burnt more times than not already.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    People want a grazer game. But people want an idea. Go look at No Mans Sky at launch as a big example. People will often jump at some version of "you can do anything" or "that mountain? you can climb it" but its never ever been what people had in their heads because the Ur-Game doesn't exist and theres a good reason people seem a lot more cynical of trend chasers, especially when said trend is monstrously skewed into more bad than good because they start from a point of "its going to be a schlooter because habit forming retention mechanics to keep the player locked in our storefront ecosystem" or something and not "i have a great idea, how do we keep the loop engaging?". Outriders thus far looks like a bad cover shooter trying to leech the audience games like Destiny and Anthem chased and people have been burnt more times than not already.
    You picked 2 games that didn't live up to hype because they very very clearly released unfinished. Hence no mans sky's turnaround and People still regularly checking in to see what's happening with Anthem 2.0.

    That does seem to be the theme of the genre though, as all of the looter shooters have released unfinished. I guess that's why there's such a large demand for one that doesn't need to be heavily fixed / reworked immediately after launch.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Its weird seeing someone say this considering just how insanely hyped up people were for Anthem and how clearly there's a large ass community that wants such a game.
    Anthem is pretty much my dream game.. i'm just waiting for it to be fully developed.

    and after the poster below reminded me that outriders will most likely have cover mechanics my interest just got lower.

    there is for sure an audience for these types of games. it's just sad that developers are trying to shortcut their way to that audience.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    Anthem is pretty much my dream game.. i'm just waiting for it to be fully developed.

    and after the poster below reminded me that outriders will most likely have cover mechanics my interest just got lower.

    there is for sure an audience for these types of games. it's just sad that developers are trying to shortcut their way to that audience.


    Heres gameplay, judge for yourself but i can't say this is something i want to "grind epic lootz" in for years.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  11. #11
    Void Lord Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    41,307
    I'll look at it later but for the record I did care about Anthem but.. yeah that happened(I'm looking to watch how 2.0 unfolds but if its bad I'll move on). Just because we dislike something doesn't mean there's no audience for it at all. Good games generally attract everyone regardless.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance

    Warrior-Magi

  12. #12
    Old God Mirishka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Get off my lawn!
    Posts
    10,451
    I'm interested in Outriders, if cautiously.
    My greatest fear is that one day, my MMO-Champion ignore list will run out of space.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Heres gameplay, judge for yourself but i can't say this is something i want to "grind epic lootz" in for years.
    I know this is something that gets lost on lots of people but not every game needs to last people years.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

  14. #14
    So.....

    Anthem and Destiny fell in love. Married. Then they had a child whose name is "Outriders"?

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    4,342
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    video=youtube;KQCS-FjVByY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCS-FjVByY[/video]

    Heres gameplay, judge for yourself but i can't say this is something i want to "grind epic lootz" in for years.
    I suggest turning the volume off if you are going to watch this. The guy doing commentary is annoying as all hell.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I suggest turning the volume off if you are going to watch this. The guy doing commentary is annoying as all hell.
    I'd probably also look up something more recent, as there's videos from a few days ago as opposed to 6 months ago.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

  17. #17
    My concern is that the gameplay and UI looks TOO much like Anthem.

    Which means it already has a mark against it. Maybe they'll be able to deliver better gameplay, but I have serious reservations against any modern title that looks anything like this. Especially when published by none other than Square Enix. Who have applied some EA Battlefront 2 levels of business model to the new Marvel game. I don't expect any different out of Outriders.

  18. #18
    My problem with loot shooters is that at some point, enemies turn into bullet sponges and it gets boring.

    This looks okay'ish, but i won't hold my breath. Destiny 2 was allright, but nothing that can keep me occupied for long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •