Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Raised By Wolves, an HBO Max Original coming September 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

Ridley Scott will direct the show.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...o-max-1040028/

“Raised by Wolves centers on two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet,” HBO Max said of the series. “As the burgeoning colony of humans threatens to be torn apart by religious differences, the androids learn that controlling the beliefs of humans is a treacherous and difficult task.”
    I'm excited. HBO usually makes great shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm intrigued way more than I thought I'd be by the blurb.

That said, I hope a couple things that weren't made clear in the promo;

1> Make the androids inhuman. They came off as "too human" in a "we couldn't afford to do cosmetics" kind of way. I don't mean monstrous, just going as far as ST: TNG did with Data, something that establishes them as "other" constantly. Too often, we make these things human as a shortcut to having the audience empathize, and I think that's a cheat. Make us empathize with them despite that. Westworld, by comparison, went the other way; making the robots seem wholly artificial despite the verisimilitude of their appearance, to emphasize the inhumanity down the line. There's a couple shots in there which hit that note, I'm just hoping it leans more in that direction than not.

2> The title is "Raised by Wolves". I know the clear implication is that the one android we see is "Mama Wolf", and she'll defend her kids like such, but the title isn't "Android Wolves". It explicitly directs the attention to the children. I want those feral little fuckers to be well-taught by Mama. Such that they get kidnapped, and their takers are about to realize they have seriously fucked up​, and not just because their android parents are after them. But because those kids will murder the fuck out of them, themselves.

Thought it'd be about Rome... bah!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty sweet. Hope its good.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm intrigued way more than I thought I'd be by the blurb.

2> The title is "Raised by Wolves". I know the clear implication is that the one android we see is "Mama Wolf", and she'll defend her kids like such, but the title isn't "Android Wolves". It explicitly directs the attention to the children. I want those feral little fuckers to be well-taught by Mama. Such that they get kidnapped, and their takers are about to realize they have seriously fucked up​, and not just because their android parents are after them. But because those kids will murder the fuck out of them, themselves.
    Now that would be awesome. I doubt they're going to go that way, but that would definitely be fun and different to watch!
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Loved Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok and love Ridley scott his Kingdom of heaven directors cut is one of my all time favorite movies that and alien and gladiator of course.

Will give it a try atleast.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks great on paper, hoping it delivers. Hbo hasn't put anything great in quite a while.

So Data + Lore raise(from babies) a colony that turns out to be Deadwood in space?

I am so in on that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Binge watched the first three episodes without expecting to. "Hey its 1am, I can't really sleep lets check out the first episode of this show." Couple hours later I'm checking to see when the next episode comes out.

Thus far, imo, great show. Great scenery. Great, interesting, story. Solid cast and acting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I want those feral little fuckers to be well-taught by Mama.
    Nice description, "feral little fuckers", made me laugh out loud a little. Sadly, doesn't look like thats the direction they are going to go with the kids.

Edit:
    My only complaint: what the fuck is up with HBO Max which is different than my HBO subscription through Amazon. So, what, I have to subscribe to two different HBO services? Further, even if I did sub to HBO Max there currently isn't an app for my smart TV or Roku stick. I think HBO is screwing the pooch on this one: less accessibility combined with more cost. Idiots.

Warmed up my alternate viewing method for the first time in a couple years to watch this show. Shame. Had been nice getting away from those alternate viewing methods.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-09-10 at 02:57 AM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Edit:
    My only complaint: what the fuck is up with HBO Max which is different than my HBO subscription through Amazon. So, what, I have to subscribe to two different HBO services? Further, even if I did sub to HBO Max there currently isn't an app for my smart TV or Roku stick. I think HBO is screwing the pooch on this one: less accessibility combined with more cost. Idiots.

Warmed up my alternate viewing method for the first time in a couple years to watch this show. Shame. Had been nice getting away from those alternate viewing methods.
    Yea, seems like all the "regular cable" and "premium cable" TV providers trying to get in on some of the 'sweet sweet streaming cash'. Soon as CBS was making CBS "All Access" (Irony? For a paid access only), I figured more would jump on the bandwagon. Now we got NBC with their own and so of course HBO gonna try it too - all with seperate charges despite people who already pay for subscription.

But yea I am very surprised to hear you say they don't have an App ready for the various TV attachments - you'd think that would be a no brainer for something they are charging for! Huh. Normally HBO is smarter!

So yea, alternate viewing methods away!

Because this show is really good! While Hubby is a more "likes everything scifi on tv (despite the cheese or poor production) consumer, I am not. But this show is definitely worth giving a try if you enjoy interesting post-apoc/android sci-fi. Not everything Ridley Scott does is great (and I am a fan of his), but this is - so far - really quality stuff.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

I was so skeptical of this show based on trailer. Did not expect it to become my favorite show in years. I am so deeply intrigued by every episode, I feel they end so quickly and I could watch for hours on end at full attention to the story. It's so evocative.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

Ridley Scott will direct the show.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...o-max-1040028/

I'm excited. HBO usually makes great shows.
    Love this show.
    Not the pewpewpew boom baaaaam shows which seems to be the only thing we get in the last few years. A bit different and i like it. There can be slow sober scifi.

5+ Year Old Account
    Someone at work told me to watch trailer, I did, looks like a tv version of netflix movie Mother, can't see why I should be bothered...ridley scott hasn't done anything good since blade runner n that was almost 40 years ago...

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Got renewed for a second season today

https://tvline.com/2020/09/17/raised...-ridley-scott/

So, this is basically Ragnar in space right? I mean, basically.

I'm enjoying this series as well, and I'm not a huge Sci-fi fan. Also, the intro and intro song are pretty awesome--as are the visuals of the entire show.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    So, this is basically Ragnar in space right? I mean, basically.
    Now granted I have...2 episodes left to watch of what had been released as of last week. Not sure if its 4 or 5 behind now But at least after the first 4-5 episodes, I didn't get that feeling so much. *shrugs*.

I mean I agree its the "same lead actor as Vikings playing another 'anti-Leader' Leader Role." But the rest of it doesn't feel that way (Vikings Pt. 2 or Ragnar in Space). At least not yet.

Unless you meant another Ragnar, then nevermind! =D
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Unless you meant another Ragnar, then nevermind! =D
    Yes. I mean the last episode is basically Ragnar in Space.

Ragnar basically is hearing/seeing visions. Taking control of the village/society violently. Imposing his one-sided will on others. Complicated relationship with his strong-willed wife. He skirts losing his grip on command by playing his underlings against each other, etc, etc. This dude is Ragnar.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    I'm enjoying this series as well, and I'm not a huge Sci-fi fan. Also, the intro and intro song are pretty awesome--as are the visuals of the entire show.
    even though i dont post regularly, i mention battlestar galactica shitloads.

the intro to this reminds me of the 200s BSG intro before the drums kick in

Am I the only one that hates the acting of Travis Fimmel? I feel like he acts the same no matter the character. He always does that weird thing with this eyes to "show intensity or craziness" or something. All the time.