Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up This class is a broken mess.

Whats the point of runes when you can close your eyes & hit all the spells real fast, druid is broken too.
    it should be like that you have 3 blood, 3 unholy, 3 ice runes, all 3 sorts have their own spells (3 spells each) so you can choose between 3 blood spells any time then it passes to unholy then ice, it changes type after using 3 spells, I use 3 blood spells then it rotates & opens up unholy then ice. maybe I should work at Blizzard? and oh it should be colored so blood spells have red icons in the actionbar same for the other rune types, 2 sets dark grey when it isnt their turn.

I have no idea what you typed but ok

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    I have no idea what you typed but ok
    What? 10chars

Quote Originally Posted by birdpathbirdpath View Post
    it should be like that you have 3 blood, 3 unholy, 3 ice runes
    thats how it was (well 2 not 3) and it was shit, soo no, thank you

Isn't that how launch/wotlk dk worked?
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Think you are referring to how it used to be. You had frost/unholy/blood and you used X ability for X rune and it could become a death rune or whatever. Any complexity has long been stripped from the class so not really sure where you were going with that OP its been what it is for a while now.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

so you can choose between 3 blood spells any time then it passes to unholy then ice, it changes type after using 3 spells, I use 3 blood spells then it rotates & opens up unholy then ice. maybe I should work at Blizzard?
    So you want to be locked to specific spells that can only be used at specific times *all* the time?
    Sounds horrible.

I don't see your reasoning of runes not having a point just because they are of the same type either.
    It's like saying combo points are pointless.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-08-12 at 05:11 AM.

It worked like that before Legion. It increased the DK skill cap, like everything before Legion basically.

Not 100% sure on what you mean, but i'm assuming its different rune types similar to before legion? I did like that system more than apply / spend we have now. You did get more frustrating downtime in the rotation and it still felt spammy though despite gaming the runes.

The current apply/spend system i'm not a fan of but i do like the pacing of it, i am glad in Shadowlands are seeing the return of AMZ! This will be huge and should never have been taken away in the first place.

Going into Shadowlands we should see more of a reason to take a DK to a fight over say another melee in some situations. In BFA it was only really the grip we got taken for over others or the army/pet damage burst window very niche things. We were slow sometimes to the point of requiring a priest grip and did not really have a full real immunity it was often just better to stick with ranged and take a DH for the buff/immunity/stun/prison or a warrior for a shout as a bonus these melee could help with mechanics at a distance and actually get in/out in a reasonable time. Heck they could swap to adds without much ramp up, and get to them very fast unlike a DK who was basically useless.

I hope we will see some fights in Shadowlands where AMS trivialises some mechanics in a big way, fights grips are awesome for and fights where AMZ will really make us shine!

TLR, In BFA we were a mess outside of a few situations. In Shadowlands fight design depending we could be a decent pick for the team and not the bench! And yeah the rotation sucks and feels kinda mindless. (tbf most class's also feel like mindless 3 button spam now, only they are more useful while mindless spamming)
    Last edited by Stacie; 2020-08-12 at 02:16 PM.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yeah lol I reinvented the wheel by accident. but the proc multi rune is impossible to balance with timely input, it needs to be like the olden days but even stricter or its chaos & a class that is broken gameplay wise, like how many times have they changed druid caster now & i certainly aren't refering to dps or fun factor.

frost/unholy/blood runes were actually a pain with target swaps.

Frost was sitting for most of its existence on certain runes and unholy had to deal with left over runes even in perfect ST scenario and could be easily overwhelmed in swap scenarios without pooling runes.

Death Runes helped a lot to bridge what ever other class could do but it was still just the 2/4 limitations and AoE was completly dependent on your runes (no epidemic).

No I did not enjoy the old variant that much and the limitations with it were pretty clear after just a few hours of playtime. Overscaling the class in certain tiers with broken mechanics helped a lot to keep this class wanted in progression and WoDs massgrip to EZ certaint fights was maybe the peak of this stupidity.

Unholys wound system with the ability to at least be able to press something, even if its not DPS optimal in target swap situations is way less frustrating as the surprise swaps from the old systems, where you could do nothing but waiting.

The class is allways a broken mess if you dont know where it came from, might be true for most classes and specs. The QoL changes this class got over (a very long) time are massive and if you dont see it, I cant help you - watch a video about previous expansions to see the issues we had back then.

You understand that certain raid tiers had deathknight specific things you could not do with this class and stacking this class was a huge PITA even for farming raids because of this. Of course you dont know this, since you are complaining about the current situation with massive improvements.
    -

Whats the point of runes when you can close your eyes & hit all the spells real fast, druid is broken too.
    it should be like that you have 3 blood, 3 unholy, 3 ice runes, all 3 sorts have their own spells (3 spells each) so you can choose between 3 blood spells any time then it passes to unholy then ice, it changes type after using 3 spells, I use 3 blood spells then it rotates & opens up unholy then ice. maybe I should work at Blizzard? and oh it should be colored so blood spells have red icons in the actionbar same for the other rune types, 2 sets dark grey when it isnt their turn.
    That was called "rune tetris" back then. It's just like playing a mini game where I'm just watching my runes fill up and hit the same buttons again and again when the runes light up. There was a lot of muscle memory involved because you settle into a fixed rotation so it became quite brainless back then.

Now without belong locked into the tri-colour runes I'm actually reacting more to the game itself than playing rune tetris.
    Last edited by catalystical; 2020-08-24 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotural View Post
    It worked like that before Legion. It increased the DK skill cap, like everything before Legion basically.
    people constantly talking about how easy the game is. no skill cap. why are there so many bad players then? because people are awful, most of the time.

On the mean specs have far less complicated/cumbersome rotations than they did prior to MoP, largely because "rotation" is no longer a thing and the current priority systems are far less complicated. The trade off is the raid encounters are MUCH more complicated than they used to be. Players that don't engage in mythic raids or high M+ don't experience the massively increased complexity of fights so they think the game is easier, because all they have are their 3-5 attack priority systems and 1-3 DPS/heal/tank CD's.

It was like that previously (before Legion I think)
    DKs had talents/passives that generated Death Runes (same runes we have today) and those talents/passives were well-received by everyone so Blizz just decided to make these Death Runes the default Runes for DKs
    I am personally okay with either, because unless they make diseases matter again then it'll play the same most of the time regardless of what Rune system we have

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you really shouldn't.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    The old runes just made it to where you had to dump deathcoils as all 3 specs, otherwise you were straight up white swinging sometimes, there was a more prominent element of saving your runes for the abilities you actually needed to use, instead of today where they just feel like resource generators. For BDK you wanted to pool for mit and for Frost you pooled for burst back when Frost strike actually did damage.

The sad thing about it is that RP has felt really shitty for Unholy and meh as Frost. Deathcoil never does damage and needs 20 different 5% buffs after the expansion launches and epidemic literally fights with D&D/SS for your GCDs. Meanwhile Froststrike hits like garbage in BFA, along with everything else, RP is a dedicated Breath of Sindragosa resource lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely prefer DK now to what it was. I played them from the start, back in the days of blood DPS, 2H frost tanking, dual-wield unholy everything.

Prior to the change to make all runes the same, DK's had to sit out their rotations at times when the runes didn't align in their favor or they didn't use a rune for anything, like unholy having no use for blood runes. I still remember T12's insta-one-shot of DK tanks due to death strike not landing (no shield). Yuck.

No, they're absolutely much better off today.

10+ Year Old Account
    It honestly was kinda shitty back then...having to use runes on things that had very low impact...Blood Strike was meh for everyone (Blood got Heart Strike) Icy Touch was basically the only Frost rune ability that did damage for Blood and Unholy. Frost had little more to do with the Unholy rune other than Plague Strike.

It really wasn't that higher of a skill cap...it was basically a slow grind...buildup phase then burst phase. Only thing I miss is the versatility it had...you could pretty much do anything with any spec

Ya I loved old-school DK but any good DK always took the Death Rune talents for every spec to begin with as they added so much flexibility there were no other choices that compared. This was basically just making death rune class wide and removing the redundancy of the talents.