View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
349. You may not vote on this poll
  • Change it! Remove the 5% damage debuff so it isn't required in PvE but is cool for PvP.

136 38.97%
  • Change it! Make it deal damage so it feels better, the same treatment as Blade Flurry.

11 3.15%
  • Change it! Give it a raid debuff of some kind.

21 6.02%
  • Change it! Take it off the GCD.

103 29.51%
  • Change it! In some other way, I'll post my idea below.

17 4.87%
  • Keep it! (I play Classic exclusively.)

3 0.86%
  • Keep it! (I play both Live and Classic.)

19 5.44%
  • Keep it! (I do not play Classic.)

23 6.59%
  • I don't care one way or the other!

16 4.58%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    They absolutely will balance Hunters against having that 5% damage against every primary target. Basically, everything other than AE and low-health adds. If they didn't do that, Hunters would straight-up do 5% more single-target damage than every other class.
    That's what I think too. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Wouldn't the devs count HM for the overall damage of the Hunter? i mean... that's the point of adding certain abilities.

Either way, not a fan of it for how it disrupt the combat, though i think it may not be as big of a deal for all specs, but for others it may be more of a blunder.
    I imagine your single target would be - your aoe wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

@Sondrelk: Both of those things you talk about are indeed issues, but class balance is also pertinent here, because it means you can't just ignore it and not even keybind the ability. If you don't use Hunter's Mark you will deal 5% less damage to primary targets than the devs intended.

That's why people saying "HM makes you do 105% your normal damage!" are extremely wrong. HM makes you do 100% your normal damage to primary targets.
    Again, put it on bosses, and prio adds every trash pack if you really are offended by having a use a gcd every mob to do 5% more damage.

Your only source of damage isn't ST - so you are not only doing 95% damage if you don't use HM.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a hunter's mark advocate - I would prefer it wasn't in the game - but it's nowhere as bad as people are making out

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Again, put it on bosses, and prio adds every trash pack if you really are offended by having a use a gcd every mob to do 5% more damage.
    Yes, that's what I mean when I say "primary targets". Everything other than AE packs and low-health adds. I really do try to pick my words carefully, this ain't my first time arguing on the internet!

Yes, that's what I mean when I say "primary targets". Everything other than AE packs and low-health adds. I really do try to pick my words carefully, this ain't my first time arguing on the internet!
    Yeah I simply don't agree though, maybe it's an attitude or perspective thing but to me this is how it works

Let's say we're fighting 5 mobs

Mob 1: 100% damage taken
    Mob 2: 100% damage taken
    Mob 3: 100% damage taken
    Mob 4: 100% damage taken
    Mob 5 with HM : 105% damage taken

As I said earlier, if people want to believe they now do 95% of the damage they should do to every other target - you're always gonna be mad at something or another

Would be nice if it gave some party/raidwide buffs. Or change it mechanically so it will apply it to a group, let's say cap it to main target + 4 adds. So 5 targets in line with the other AoE cap damage abilities in SL.
    - Enough prattling. Let them come. We shall grind their bones to dust.

No, on AE groups HM isn't worth using at all. You only use it when you have a "primary target". For example, some pulls have big high-health mobs surrounded by small ones, in that case you would HM the big one only then run your normal AE priority against the group.

This isn't anything new, HM worked this way for many, many years. Older players know how to use it properly. Many of us just don't like it.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2020-08-11 at 08:41 PM.

The Patient
    I'm not a big fan. It's really only something I notice when it's not efficient to recast it before something dies. The niche uses in pvp are kind of cool but I think it's unnecessary bloat for PVE, particularly in dungeon trash. I really don't like the idea of it on survival because it's such a fast-paced spec.

No, on AE groups HM isn't worth using at all. You only use it when you have a "primary target". For example, some pulls have big high-health mobs surrounded by small ones, in that case you would HM the big one only then run your normal AE priority against the group.

This isn't anything new, HM worked this way for many, many years. Older players know how to use it properly. Many of us just don't like it.
    Ever heard of a priority add? I've played since BC, most of that time as a hunter. I know how it works.

Yes, and if that priority add has high health you'd use HM on it.

GCD on this ability is bunk.

Instead of +5% damage it should be +10 yard range to the target. So it still has purpose and helps a bit but it isn't utterly necessary on every target swap.

Poll should have been checkboxes, not radio boxes.

• Change it! Make it deal damage so it feels better, the same treatment as Blade Flurry.
    • Change it! Give it a raid debuff of some kind.
    • Change it! Take it off the GCD.

All of them would be fine for me tbh

Yeah I simply don't agree though, maybe it's an attitude or perspective thing but to me this is how it works

Mob 1: 100% damage taken
    Mob 2: 100% damage taken
    Mob 3: 100% damage taken
    Mob 4: 100% damage taken
    Mob 5 with HM : 105% damage taken

As I said earlier, if people want to believe they now do 95% of the damage they should do to every other target - you're always gonna be mad at something or another
    As I’ve tried explaining to you earlier, this is what is actually happening.
    Picture a ST fight. If you use HM you are doing 100% of the damage your class is able to do thru buffs and abilities in your personal toolkit. You aren’t doing 105%. Make sense?
    Now, switch to an AoE/Cleave fight. You use HM on 1 target which means you are doing 100% of your personal toolkits damage to that target. Everything else without HM means you are doing 95% of your total allotted damage to everything else.
    I get what you are trying to point out, and on one hand it’s a good perspective to have as it’s more of a “look on the bright side” way of thinking. The issue is that the other way of thinking is also true and it upsets people. It doesn’t mean either way of thinking is wrong, but it does mean that when there is a split like this then it’s probably not a good thing to have implemented the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Poll should have been checkboxes, not radio boxes.
    Yep just trying to force people to pick their absolute favorite. And the "I like it how it is" options needed to be exclusionary from the others.

Regarding AE, again in that scenario you don't use HM at all as it isn't worth the GCD. You could reapply it before the pull of course if you like, it doesn't hurt anything, but 5% more damage to one of 5 small enemies in an AE pull is not worth your attention. Now if it's an AE pull with one "big" mob and a bunch of small ones, you do HM the big guy as it is a primary target, it has enough health that HM will be worth that GCD.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2020-08-12 at 02:28 PM.

So having been playing the beta, I don't mind it. I just think if it stays how it is, it needs to be off the GCD.

Well sure, if it's off the GCD you just macro it into your abilities and it's a complete non-issue. That is one of the poll choices.

That said, there is no way they're taking it off the GCD. I put it in the poll simply because it's what a lot of people want. But that isn't gonna happen.

Make it a PvP talent. If there's anything out there that makes sense for being a PvP talent, it's this. Otherwise delete it entirely. Of all the things that have ever been removed from the game, I can't think of anything that's brought me more joy than the removal of Hunter's Mark. If it's on the GCD, it's painful to have to apply it constantly. If it's off the GCD or applied by something else, we just macro and forget it and it might as well not exist except to lower our dps on secondary AoE targets.

ETA: I am in the beta. It sucks.

Yep, I'm in the beta too. Hate it a lot.

Really though, hunters don't need to be in the beta to know exactly how HM feels there, many of us have played for over a decade. HM always worked that way, and for me, it was a pure joy when it was pruned.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Instead of +5% damage it should be +10 yard range to the target. So it still has purpose and helps a bit but it isn't utterly necessary on every target swap.
    I LOVE this idea. Make us true snipers.
    And on second thought, this would be a nice, unique utility for hunters. Picking up/picking off mobs spawned at the far side of a room, or interrupting a healer at the back of the arena that thinks they're safe. I think it would be awkward for Survival, though, what with the melee limitations.
    Last edited by Rustov; 2020-08-13 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustov View Post
    I LOVE this idea. Make us true snipers.
    And on second thought, this would be a nice, unique utility for hunters. Picking up/picking off mobs spawned at the far side of a room, or interrupting a healer at the back of the arena that thinks they're safe. I think it would be awkward for Survival, though, what with the melee limitations.
    Eh, +10y range unfortunately looks far too good not to have mandatory hunter in raid groups to pick up mobs faster from safer distance and misdirect them to Tanks.
    That would put MM's range to at least 46y range, further increased by mastery. 30y range + 6y base mastery + 10y Hunters mark.

For Survival lets say having + 10% leech to help them survive in melee? or 5% leech and 5% movement speed?

But i really dont mind being +5% damage, just make it off GCD so i can macro it, or having "Hunters Mark Level 2" at level 60 that makes our cleave/aoe spread HM to nearby targets in 8-10y range.
    In its current form its just.. pain in the butt and extremely annoyboring button on my bar, having to pre-cast it before pulls.