Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Deserted zones and long-lived mobs

Alright folks, hear me out here. I play on a (very) low pop RP server, which suits me just fine.

I was recently levelling an alt in the lvl 60 version of Terokkar Forest, killing cultist mobs outside of Auchindoun. In the time I've been here, there have been no other players around on a /who. Everyone hates levelling in Outland, right? So it may have been weeks, possibly months since these mobs were last killed.

What do you think? Which open world mobs have the most 'uptime' in game? The must be more deserted zones than this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Alright folks, hear me out here. I play on a (very) low pop RP server, which suits me just fine.

I was recently levelling an alt in the lvl 60 version of Terokkar Forest, killing cultist mobs outside of Auchindoun. In the time I've been here, there have been no other players around on a /who. Everyone hates levelling in Outland, right? So it may have been weeks, possibly months since these mobs were last killed.

What do you think? Which open world mobs have the most 'uptime' in game? The must be more deserted zones than this.
    Probably mobs in some raid that has the least stuff worthwhile in terms of mounts/transmogs. Maybe previous expac raids even that are too hard to solo for most people. Especially if it’s trash off in some corner.

I offer my congratulations to the longest-lived mob in the game - ignoring the technical limitations of server resets, obviously - whoever, wherever or whatever you may be. May you never eat a pyroblast or chaos bolt to the face.

And with the leveling revamp, this is going to be even more true than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Some random quest mob in felwood. Let's be real who would quest in felwood right now
    Felwood is quite time efficient for questing XP, and one of my main places to level new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Some random quest mob in felwood. Let's be real who would quest in felwood right now
    Sure, but have you seen Blade's Edge recently?

*crickets*

7+ Year Old Account

1. mobs are "killed" every server reset so...
    2. however if you mean as in last time a player killed those mobs? well likely those mobs used as backgrounds for quests, like fliers who sit in the sky, who you dont need to kill and are just there for apperence, so well no one kills them even though they CAN if they want to pull a flying mob down and kill it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    are you asking which zone is done the least? really comes down to personal preference doesn't it. however if I had to gamble on which zone (not instance) has the least amount of kills it would be Kezan. short questline, minimal killing before you move on to the lost isles part of the chain

It would probably be some mobs in the later part of a zone's quest chain (when players have moved on to another zone), or an off-the-beaten path quest chain that often gets ignored. I think a mid-late expansion zone like Blade's Edge, or Sholozar Basin would be particularly sparse. And Vash'jir: yes it's a starting zone for Cata, but it's HUGE and there probably aren't that many people questing ALL the way to the end of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Probably mobs in some raid that has the least stuff worthwhile in terms of mounts/transmogs.
    Sure, but have you seen Blade's Edge recently?

*crickets*

Only dungeon/raid there is Gruul's Lair. There are some zones that don't have ANY dungeons or raids, but often they are rather popular, like Outland Nagrand and Grizzly Hills.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

- mobs spawned as part of quests that no one does anymore
    - mobs in extremely remote locations, like some random cave somewhere
    - mobs in instances that just hang out way off the usual routes (like the spiders way off to the side in Ny'alotha)
    - mobs in hard-to-reach places no one goes to (in the middle the mountains somewhere etc., usually critters)

Yep. We'll never know, of course. Thanks all for indulging this particularly pointless question. Maybe there are mobs in the game that have never been killed.

(This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. We'll never know, of course. Thanks all for indulging this particularly pointless question. Maybe there are mobs in the game that have never been killed.

(This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night).
    I imagine there might be some totally off path mobs in something like Blackrock Depths that are chilling for years.

There is probably a mob out there that spawns inside of a tree or hill that the developers do not know about and no player can target/kill that just gets respawned with server resets. Who or where will remain a mystery to us all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I imagine there might be some totally off path mobs in something like Blackrock Depths that are chilling for years.
    When you spawn into LBRS, and go up the ramp to the right, theres a few mobs there that noone ever kills.

A prize of a firm handshake to the first player to kill every mob in the game. Like the Iron Man challenge, except even less traceable and even more pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unseen enemies in Raven Hill.
    Not everyone knows about them and you need specific abilities to draw them out. Last I checked they were above the average mob level in the zone, too (might have changed), so that accidentally aggroing meant death.

I'd wager every mob gets killed every now and then, especially in raids with transmo mob drops, but for the Unseen you:

1. Have to know they exist
    2. Have a toon with aoe damage/actually want to go check out
    3. Draw them out and forget about it after saying "cool!"

Unless there is a guy somewhere farming them daily for who knows what reason, I bet the average number of Unseen kills for each player is lower than one.

If I had to guess, I would pick some bonus patch zones of legacy expansions. Like Quel Danas for example. There's probably no reason to be there other than to grind that rep that everyone who wanted already has.

But there's also an unfun answer - open world mobs that require ridiculous process to be spawned, especially in older expansions / legacy content. Like some of the argus rares that you have to gather items or use toys to access. Or even the Nazjatar mobs in Mardivas lab - they are technically open world mobs, but you can summon one per week only and there's like 20 of them.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

I'm pretty sure in the deepest parts of the deepest Vashj'ir there's some fish swimming there that has not seen a player in ages mostly because:

A) Most people hate the zone ( Thumb up!!...if you don't)
    B) I have the (unconfirmed) theory that most people prefer to level in Pandaland.
    C) There's some places and caves there that are extremely remote and useless and although some parts get some action ( Ghostcrawler spawn there so you always see hunters and there's the giant shark) for some other places.....I don't know I don't see it being much visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    There is probably a mob out there that spawns inside of a tree or hill that the developers do not know about and no player can target/kill that just gets respawned with server resets. Who or where will remain a mystery to us all.
    This is most likely it.

I doubt Blizzard has specific logs for mob IDs that aren't killed between weekly resets, and even if they did, they'd have to compare all of them to get the single longest living one.

Old Silithus mobs