Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Considering that there are mob spawners below the world in a few places that acts like timers for simple game mechanics that only exist to spawn two mobs and have them fight to the death until one dies, then these mobs have NEVER been touched by players.
    Think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Some random quest mob in felwood. Let's be real who would quest in felwood right now
    It's definitely not a Classic zone, as they have the longest span of levels you can play them.

Most likely it's some outward zone in Outland or Cataclysm, such as Netherstorm or Twilight Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Considering that there are mob spawners below the world in a few places that acts like timers for simple game mechanics that only exist to spawn two mobs and have them fight to the death until one dies, then these mobs have NEVER been touched by players.
    Think about that.
    Well there's a tantalising thought. Which mobs are these?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The mob I see die most infrequently is a Horde healer when I play Ally random bg.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Well there's a tantalising thought. Which mobs are these?
    If I remember correctly they are a Horde(Orc or Forsaken) and an Alliance(Human or Nelf) NPC that spawned below the world in BG's and when one of them kills the other the BG starts. It was a very primitive timer Blizz created back in the day so no idea if it's still in the game. Game developement is full of these weird hacks to make things work.

I would have thought that mob spawning was dynamic, so if there are no players anywhere near a zone, nothing spawns in there. There must be thousands of mobs per server and having to render them when not being used would be a massive waste of resources. I think there is some credibility to this theory as previously if you entered an area after a server restart you would see bunches of mobs all spawn in the exact same spot and then spread out.
    RETH

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    There are some zones that don't have ANY dungeons or raids, but often they are rather popular, like Outland Nagrand and Grizzly Hills.
    Grizzly Hills technically has Drak'tharon Keep. While the Keep itself is seated on the border of Grizzly Hills and Zul'Drak, the entrance rests on the Grizzly Hills side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Which open world mobs have the most 'uptime' in game?
    This guy

You can't kill him so he's been up since Cata launch lol
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I wish they would do away with cross realm zones for Pandaria and any zones that have raid bosses that I can literally never kill without needing a fucking timer add-on or some shit to track it, maybe they could put some spawn time variance in to counter it a bit. Farming for the triceratops mounts is also basically impossible unless you get lucky and someone forgets to check the spawn.

In short they should do away with CRZ for sought out content like the Pandaria world bosses and rares but keep CRZ chat enabled so people can still talk and invite for stuff.

Well there you go. This turned out to be unexpectedly interesting, despite the unpromising opener.

Would be cool if they added something like guildwars where the longer a mob has gone without dying the more bonus exp it gives. Could breath life into less used zones.

Some mobs are unable to be killed at all! They've probably gone the longest without being killed. Other mobs that require items to kill as part of quest chains in neglected zones probably come close... but who could say if some critter always inaccessible behind some walls or down a useless path in a dungeon go longer without dying? Some areas aren't explored fully when you can't just fly around, after all. So there's probably a lot of mobs neglected because you can't spot them from above and decide to kill cuz reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I would have thought that mob spawning was dynamic, so if there are no players anywhere near a zone, nothing spawns in there. There must be thousands of mobs per server and having to render them when not being used would be a massive waste of resources. I think there is some credibility to this theory as previously if you entered an area after a server restart you would see bunches of mobs all spawn in the exact same spot and then spread out.
    That's the thing, the server doesn't "render" them. Your computer does.

The server just spawns an ID at some coordinates, and changes those coordinates every tick, following its defined path.

When a player comes near, the server tells the game where to place the mob on the world, and its immediate path. The client makes the mob walk along that path, and checks the server every few seconds to see if the mob is roughly in the right place.

Meanwhile, the server just keeps changing those coordinates for that mob. It's all numbers.

Philosophical niceties aside about spawning etc, I reckon the Molten Front mobs have a good shout here. When was the last time any of you went there?

Random trash in front of RFD.