Thread: Dark Runes

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Dark Runes

I recently had a bad experience in Scholomance where someone demanded that they get all of the dark runes, and if we didn't capitulate they would ninja all of the gear. They were obviously immediately kicked and replaced, but when I mentioned the incident in guild chat I was told that if they had been a healer (they weren't) this behavior would have been perfectly acceptable, as healers are supposed to get all of the runes. Which made me wonder, why?

First off, anyone with a mana bar can make use of them.
    Second, they are BoE (and sell for 5-10g).
    Third, they are used as reagents for numerous pieces of crafted gear, as well as being required for the tier .5 quest chain.

So then, why would healers get priority? The best answer anyone in my guild could give me is because it is harder for healers to farm, and so they deserve the extra gold; but if that is the case, why does it only apply in Scholomance, and why shouldn't the tank also get extra rewards?

Anyone able to explain this rule to me?

None of the healers in my guild require all the Rune drops in Scholo, so I don't know what your guild is on.

The person that you booted from the group sounds like an extremely entitled jackass.

However, I think it is courteous to pass Runes to good healers if they ask.

It's standard to pass on runes for healers.

If you need them, just need them and inform the healer that you need them and why, if he disagrees just leave or boot, it's not a difficult conundrum.

Quote Originally Posted by skulmar View Post
    I recently had a bad experience in Scholomance where someone demanded that they get all of the dark runes, and if we didn't capitulate they would ninja all of the gear. They were obviously immediately kicked and replaced, but when I mentioned the incident in guild chat I was told that if they had been a healer (they weren't) this behavior would have been perfectly acceptable, as healers are supposed to get all of the runes. Which made me wonder, why?
    If grp leader did not point it before starting dungeon he is douche and just report him for a scam.

1. Not everyone uses mana.
    2. Not every mana user will have such benefit from it as healer.

You should not see it as free money imho.

Third, they are used as reagents for numerous pieces of crafted gear, as well as being required for the tier .5 quest chain.

So then, why would healers get priority? The best answer anyone in my guild could give me is because it is harder for healers to farm, and so they deserve the extra gold; but if that is the case, why does it only apply in Scholomance,
    It is standard that healer is taking them but it has to be said before starting dungeon.
    95% of the healers are here not for gear but for rep and runes and it is totally fine.

and why shouldn't the tank also get extra rewards?
    Typically tanks take frist Orb from Strathole Living side.
    Last edited by Mendzia; 2020-08-13 at 05:55 PM.

Do they sell for a lot? I have a feeling they do sell for a decent amount if they are that sought out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's bullshit that healers automatically get them, I use them as a Hunter and other dps classes do, too. I haven't done Scholo in ages, but I do see the same advertised. I either would not join, or would start my own group/with guild.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It's bullshit that healers automatically get them, I use them as a Hunter and other dps classes do, too. I haven't done Scholo in ages, but I do see the same advertised. I either would not join, or would start my own group/with guild.
    Consequently I would kick a non healer who needs on runes without a good reason, like a quest or smt

This is standard practise from what I've seen. Also I don't mind passing on them despite needing them as well (hunter main) since I can easily farm the BoP version from demons.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Consequently I would kick a non healer who needs on runes without a good reason, like a quest or smt
    Some boss fights last more than 90 seconds which a major mana potion alone isn't enough to keep you going and a dark rune or demonic rune, or nightdragon thingie is required to maintain DPS.

Which is kinda precisely the same reason a healer needs them - for long fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

So then, why would healers get priority? The best answer anyone in my guild could give me is because it is harder for healers to farm, and so they deserve the extra gold; but if that is the case, why does it only apply in Scholomance, and why shouldn't the tank also get extra rewards?

Anyone able to explain this rule to me?
    just yet another example of sweaties that were bullied for being noobs at the game back in the day, trying to come out as tryhards nowadays on a 15 year old game

10+ Year Old Account
    In a PUG I'd just have everyone roll on them, but in guild runs we give them to healers. Why? Because they're like a mana pot but they do not share a CD with an actual mana pot. So a healer if a healer is running low on mana and has already popped a mana pot and the mana pot is still on CD can pop one of these. Since most of our healers are also our raid healers, we want them to be able to heal us in tight situations.

Can other mana users get the same benefit? Sure. But mages already have Mana Ruby, etc and in progressions fights it's much less critical to the fight if the hunter OOMs than if a healer OOMs.

This isn't a consideration at some point, of course because the healers will be well geared enough that they don't OOM and/or the DPS will be high enough that the fight is short.

Aside from that... eh.
    Last edited by clevin; 2020-08-14 at 01:50 AM.

It's bullshit. They are not BoP so they can be sold on the AH to pay for other consumes. Don't fall for the "healers deserve them" meme.

suddenly personal loot doesnt sound so bad...well,i guess it only became bad when forced

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to avoid bad experiences, juste make sure the loot rules are decided upfront.

It's the same for a tank who runs dungeons for dps gear for example. As long as he mentions it and everyone agrees, I don't see a problem with that. It is a problem if he just rolls need out of the blue on dps gear.

Only reason I would run Scholo on my full T2 priest is for dark runes. If I see a group looking for a healer, I will tell them I am interested if I get all the dark runes, and let them know I will pass on everything else, since I don't need anything. I see it as a win-win. They get more chances at loot, they get a geared healer, and I get dark runes.

If they would rather roll on the dark runes and find another healer, there is nothing wrong with that either.

It is not about being entitled to get all the dark runes as a healer. It is about clarifying loot rules before running a dungeon.

It's not that hard to ask...

15+ Year Old Account
    Just team up with 1 or 2 other people like you're about to do DM jump runs (CC is way better in Scholo) and farm runes. I did it a couple times but got bored of it.
    Classic is cute how you do little play dates just to farm crap you don't even need lol.

Also apparently healers have a hard time getting gold? That sounds like a load of bologna if I ever heard it. When I'm resto I do nothing but hunt for herbs and sell Mongoose pots, I have more herbs and gold than I can even do anything with, unless I feel like pointlessly burning through consumes on wipes (I don't even raid anymore).
    All in all, pointless exercises. Imagine acting like a complete douche, getting kicked over runes that don't even matter, that you don't even need a group of 5 to obtain lmao..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Just team up with 1 or 2 other people like you're about to do DM jump runs (CC is way better in Scholo) and farm runes. I did it a couple times but got bored of it.
    Classic is cute how you do little play dates just to farm crap you don't even need lol.

Also apparently healers have a hard time getting gold? That sounds like a load of bologna if I ever heard it. When I'm resto I do nothing but hunt for herbs and sell Mongoose pots, I have more herbs and gold than I can even do anything with, unless I feel like pointlessly burning through consumes on wipes (I don't even raid anymore).
    All in all, pointless exercises. Imagine acting like a complete douche, getting kicked over runes that don't even matter, that you don't even need a group of 5 to obtain lmao..
    That's what I do now. Solo farm DM:E for herb spawns, ore, Felcloth, crystals, Dark Runes. Really good money maker and convenient.

Third, they are used as reagents for numerous pieces of crafted gear...
    Was this person a Warlock? 20 of them are required to craft the full set of SR gear necessary to tank Twin Emps. They shot up to over 25g on my server in the weeks leading up to AQ launch and I believe are floating around 15-20g still.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    My opinion is a fact.
    Having opinions are F A C T S.
    Stating you do not agree with my world has no impact on mine.
    It is not the same as talking about math either.
    This is talking about MY perception and so to me it is A fact.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    If hes not in my guild.... he doesn't get to just gobble up valuable loot drops "because". Yeah, itll benefit him more in a raid - a raid im not doing with him, so .. .no.

Its a valuable BoE.

Everyone gets to roll.

Yeah, I'd kick anyone who openly tries to reserve Dark Runes. To the people saying "Oh healers should get them because they need it for going OOM at boss fights", you can make the same argument for DPS needing/using them. It makes a considerable difference for spellcasters too. As a warlock, it is a pretty hefty dps loss to use life tap (in fact, it also costs healers more mana to help them recover from that), and it is standard for a warlock to be using mana pots + demonic and dark runes actively if you are trying to get things down quickly.

Also, if your healers are going OOM that easily, start replacing your healers or your DPS (someone is slacking). Any guild with proper dps should never have OOM healers on most content unless you are running very healer light on purpose.

TL : DR - Dark runes are fair game for any mana user, stock up!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Is it a nice thing if the group passes on them so the healer can have them? Yes.

Do healers automatically have a right to get them all? No.

Simple as that.