Poll: If you could only move to one of these states?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I could be happy in any state but I hear so much good things about Texas that I'll have to choose that state.

Warm weather and living near the beach/coast is a bonus but not a strict requirement.

Alaska. Texas is 2nd, simply because I hate overpopulated areas and heat far more than I hate mid-populated areas and cold.

I'm far more willing to go hardcore wilderness than I am hardcore metropolitan. Alaska is probably the most natural and untouched state we have, and is also among the lowest population and pop density wise. Give me solid internet and I can work from anywhere.

Which of these states is closest to northern Sweden in terms of living standard...? That'd be my concern. I also wouldn't want to be in biblethumping crazycountry.

Assuming I could retain my current quality of life, Alaska. I like cold, remoteness, wilderness, snow, nature, etc. I've visited a few times and it's a truly lovely state. I currently live in California, so that's not an option since I'm already here! I hate the weather though. Texas is a 100% hard pass. I've been to El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, and surrounding rural areas. I've never encountered such a horrible place to live in regards to climate, let alone the 'southern hospitality' which I like to call 'southern hostility'. Similar issues with Florida, which has an arguably even worse climate for me. New York I wouldn't mind living upstate where there's snow and nature. Maine would be a close second behind Alaska for similar reasons.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maine. Easy one to answer. Second place would be Alaska.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

From NY. The only state I'd even consider on that list is California.

But that's moot as I found a better version of California. Spain, been living here since the 2009.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Which of these states is closest to northern Sweden in terms of living standard...? That'd be my concern. I also wouldn't want to be in biblethumping crazycountry.
    I think you would like Maine.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    From NY. The only state I'd even consider on that list is California.

But that's moot as I found a better version of California. Spain, been living here since the 2009.
    I've been thinking of moving to the south of Spain for like.......a decade. My Spanish is poor and I keep using that as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I think you would like Maine.
    Well, it sure as heck beautiful... In fact, I'd say it has way more beautiful Fall season than Sweden does, so... Maine it would be!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Well, it sure as heck beautiful... In fact, I'd say it has way more beautiful Fall season than Sweden does, so... Maine it would be!
    As of 2016, had the second lowest state crime rate. In spite of having fairly lax gun laws. And a variety of country. Close to the ocean or many wooded rural country areas. I mean, if you want the small city life, it has that in Portland. The sane Portland in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I've been thinking of moving to the south of Spain for like.......a decade. My Spanish is poor and I keep using that as an excuse.
    I'm in Madrid due to my job (industrial, marine and environmental engineering), but pretty much everything on the Peninsula is a 3 hour train ride away (highspeed rail) and flights everywhere are cheap and frequent. Madrid is not quite the coast, but it's in a mountain region, so once you leave the metro area you are literally in the foothills of a mountain range.

I strongly recommend it.

But if I had my choice on where to live, it would be the Canary Islands. Wouldn't think about for a moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be due to hitting tourist spots, but I know 0 Spanish and became a regular at the local food joint, after just a week. I would walk in and get the “Norm!!” treatment from the staff. You can do well without knowing Spanish... you’ll pick it up us you live there, but can get bye without it.

Edit: I should add that I am fluent in Russian as well and had people who speak Russian and Spanish help, when English speakers were not around. Oh and all maps, events and stuff like that, are in English on your phone... You don’t have to rely on local signs...
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-08-15 at 12:52 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I'm in Madrid due to my job (industrial, marine and environmental engineering), but pretty much everything on the Peninsula is a 3 hour train ride away (highspeed rail) and flights everywhere are cheap and frequent. Madrid is not quite the coast, but it's in a mountain region, so once you leave the metro area you are literally in the foothills of a mountain range.

I strongly recommend it.

But if I had my choice on where to live, it would be the Canary Islands. Wouldn't think about for a moment.
    Canary islands are awesome indeed been there twice in the puerto rico area of gran canaria.

Best place o go with great weather when it's winter here in sweden.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-08-15 at 01:28 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Guess Texas as long it isn't rural, I deal with ignorant Qanon Conspiracy guzzling idiots already, runner up Maine.

California, New York, and Florida are out

Alaska is too far away

Maine is lovely, but I think I'd choose Texas
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

I
    This may sound strange, but Canary Islands are too tropical paradise-y for me. I'm a city boy. Canary Islands is great for a vacation though.

This may sound strange, but Canary Islands are too tropical paradise-y for me. I'm a city boy. Canary Islands is great for a vacation though.
    It's not really tho. Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the capital is about half a million locals plus probably about 100k or more tourists at any given time.

It is quite heavily populated and because it's so touristy/major port it also has quite a bit of nightlife and all.

The climate is quite arid.

Tho I am obsessed with it for the same reason I'm obsessed with Hawaii. I'm a geologist. The entire island chain is literally Disneyland for geologists.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-08-15 at 09:14 PM.

Texas easily !

120 degrees today.
    Record high every year. Next year 130 degrees.
    Cook an egg is easy. Put it on the car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never visited California. It seems like a good place to visit, but I'm not sure if I could live there with the heat. Probably New York.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Texas easily !

120 degrees today.
    Record high every year. Next year 130 degrees.
    Cook an egg is easy. Put it on the car.
    I have a car that can do that, when it’s freezing out. You can have it if you want it... the mold growing in it, from me sweating buckets as it over heat in the summer... fabulous... it took a year to have this... disgusting...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi