[Concept] Thoughts on improving Feral

Feral seems to get the short end a fair bit. While I don't play it too much myself, I like cats and believe the spec could do with an overhaul and/or adjustment.

- Shred's energy cost should be dropped to 20
    - Rake's energy cost should be dropped to 30
    - Feline Swiftness should increase energy regen as well as movement speed
    - Sabertooth should be baseline
    - Predator should be baseline
    - The following should be baseline: Predator, Open Wounds (Legion artifact trait), Gushing Lacerations (Azerite trait), Jungle Fury (Azerite trait).

From my experience, Feral can get energy starved, which can obviously inhibit the flow of battle. No one likes waiting for even a basic spell/skill to be available (one reason I like Fury and Havoc). My aforementioned suggestions could possibly improve it, but I'll leave that to those who play Feral more often than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    From my experience, Feral can get energy starved, which can obviously inhibit the flow of battle. No one likes waiting for even a basic spell/skill to be available
    I like it. Sometimes having to pool energy is alright. There are so many specs that have you spam abilities every CD, so I appreciate one that doesn't.

I do agree with Sabertooth being baseline.

Feral has been struggling to maintain any form of identity ever since the great pruning of Legion. Feral had an infamous reputation for being the spec to play when you wanted something a tad bit more challenging (and to be rewarded for a job well done).

With Legion's pruning, Blizzard steered Feral Druids in a different direction and fostered a direct damage playstyle as they cut back on Feral's micromanaging responsibilities. This divided the Feral Druid player-base into two: one half that seemingly preferred Feral's more methodical approach (demanding Buff, Debuff, Resource maintenance) while the newer half had become enamored with Feral's newfound strength as a direct damage dealer (3 minute cooldowns, intense burst windows of Shreds, Ferocious Bites, and Brutal Slash).

We're relatively early in Shadowlands and Feral (excluding Soulbinds/Conduits/Legendaries) has not seen much in terms of quality of life improvements or major gameplay changes or tuning. Sabertooth was actually nerfed coming into the expansion and much of Feral's hopes and dreams are going to be determined by the new powers found with Souldbinds/Conduits/Legendaries. One of the most appealing aspects of the great pruning of Legion was the introduction of Jagged Wounds and we now have access to that "talent" as a new legendary. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but as a Feral Druid who prefers the pre-Legion era, I am holding out hope for a best of both worlds scenario. I respect that Ferocious Bite is here to stay but it may not be over for Bleed play just yet!

Sabertooth was actually first known as "Blood in the Water" and was basically baseline (it was a talent you would take). Blood in the Water would only come into effect at 25% where the player would have previously timed a juicy Rip on the boss to then extend for the remainder of the fight.

Fury Warrior and Havoc Demon Hunter are button mashing machines and to be frank, I personally would hate to see Feral go down the same road as those two specs. I hold no ill will in saying this but Feral may not be well suited for you if you are looking for an engaging, high APM spec to fall in love with.

I didnt play druid for about 10 years and when i came back i was shocked. The closest thing to "old druid" i know is Guardian (which i play). I find cat just lacking in so many ways, its a bit like a crap rogue knockoff, at least Guardian has "some" kind of identity of its own. I used to be a hardcore raider/pvper from vanilla - wotlk and as i got older i become more casual

Call me old fashioned but "feral" druid to me is the class that can sort of do a bit of everything that you took along to raids for the "Oh fuck" moments where you need an off tank, combat rez, CC or some extra healing and i guess the reams of information, guides, videos, competitiveness and the requirement to be included in raids as dps etc destroyed that druid and blizz had to come up with a 4th rogue build, so i can see why it seems to struggle. I think the solution would be to just get rid of it really and just make it how it used to be.. you can go cat for extra pew pew then bear when the damage comes in and you need health... a raid class that switches forms for damage mitigation and damage boost abilities.

I love being able solo bosses and tough elites in the world and dungeons because i can use all my tools (run away, root, stun, self heal, swiftmend). The only thing i dont do is go cat any more as its just not viable (in guardian) besides moving faster indoors, so i feel it needs to be remerged again.

The comparison to Rogue is an unfair one. Feral really doesn't play anything like a Rogue.

As for the feeling of being able to do everything as a Druid, that does exist in the current game. Formweaving for damage is a thing for all specs (except perhaps balance? I don't play balance). Bear tanks, for example, have the ability to "catweave" when offtanking to maximize DPS. Resto druids (especially in PvP) often go cat as well for extra DPS. Believe it or not, ferals can minmax some extra DPS by "moonweaving" into moonkin form in certain situations.

Outside of minmaxing dps, you always have the ability to switch forms for utility. Resto, balance and feral can all go bear to save a pull by tanking for a while (as you hinted at), while the tank is res'd, or simply go bear to help with a soak mechanic. Stampeding roar exists. Offheals for both dps specs are strong. Cat movement speed is a thing. Wild Charge is a powerful talent that allows multiple methods to get around based on form.

Talent choices can make or break a lot this functionality, but it's there, and masterful Druids can get a ton of support out for their group. Nowadays people just do it less, which is a shame. The extremely powerful utility of being a Druid is one of the reasons Druids are still one of the best for open world content and 1v1 duels.

Feral first talent row is baffling. Why is the easiest talent the most effective one? It should be the moonfire talent right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Feral first talent row is baffling. Why is the easiest talent the most effective one? It should be the moonfire talent right?
    The first talent row is bonked. There's always an ideal choice depending on what activity you're doing - so much so that they can't be called that.
    Incidentally, LI is none of them. Although it can be good enough, I'd rather not put in additional upkeep into sometimes almost being as good.

I don't even know why, but I really liked casting moonfire as feral. Was quite disappointed when Sabertooth became the way to go for PvP, still hoping they change something about that.