Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is the coolest bird?

What is the coolest bird? For me it's a tie between cockatoos, owls, and Peregrine Falcons.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Jay one of the few naturally blue creatures on the planet.

Osprey
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ravens easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Sooo many to choose from even just in North America. Painted Bunting and Elegant Trogon are two of the most beautiful I've seen. Storks and Cranes are always awesome and majestic, and Roadrunners are lots of fun. But I will contribute a couple with really interesting bills.

Black Skimmer- Its lower mandible is longer than the upper, and it has a unique 'skimming' behavior where it flies right over the water and sticks its lower mandible in as it flies

Red Crossbill- this aptly named bird uses its unique bill to eat conifer seeds
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2020-08-17 at 01:16 AM.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Owls in general.
    The golden eagle...in particular

My vote would go to owls as well.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Ravens have always been a favourite of mine. Smart, adaptable.

Birds of prey also get a vote, especially Australia's Wedge Tail Eagle. Its a big bird, with a wingspan averaging 1.8 to 2.3 metres (6 to 7 and a half feet). The largest ever known was over 1 metre long and with an almost 3m wingspan (over 9 feet).

If you are talking extinct birds then that has to go to the Dromornis stirtoni, sometimes called the Demon Duck of Doom, which was part of Australia's megafauna. Picture a flightless bird 3 metres tall and weighing in at 500 kgs, which may or may not have been carnivorous.

For a sense of scale;

They were thought to look something like this;

Dracula Parrot

I like owls too, but they freak me out a bit...

Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-08-17 at 07:04 AM.

Penguin, wearing a tuxedo on ice - seems pretty cool.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Footed Booby

5+ Year Old Account
    ducks

Ducks are fucking awesome

Penguins.

I’ll see myself out.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Harpy Eagle when it comes to bad ass looks.

" If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Basically anything from New Zealand, which has some of the most bizarre birds in the world, and used to have even more. Special shout-out to the Kakapo, which is a carnivorous, flightless, nocturnal parrot. Which makes exactly zero sense anywhere else in the world.

The Martial Eagle.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

The Martial Eagle.
    He is very regal looking.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Basically anything from New Zealand, which has some of the most bizarre birds in the world, and used to have even more. Special shout-out to the Kakapo, which is a carnivorous, flightless, nocturnal parrot. Which makes exactly zero sense anywhere else in the world.
    They had a really unique and interesting ecosystem, the only mammals were bats and so birds filled most every other animal role, a real land of dinosaurs until the Maori arrived. It must have been quite a sight.

As for extant species I appreciate the Cassowary, beautiful animals that will kick you in the throat if you bother them.
    Secretarybirds are also pretty interesting, I saw them featured in some nature documentary in my formative years and they really stuck with me.
    Locally the Red-tailed Hawks are a prevalent and welcome sight with so many rodents around.

My sister works with birds and is particularly fond of owls and the California Condor
    /s