Thread: Who or Whom?

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,016

    Who or Whom?

    Is it “To Who” or “To Whom” it may concern?

    I’ll freely admit this one seems tricky. I say Whom
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  2. #2
    Pit Lord KALAMITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The In-Between
    Posts
    2,359
    Whom and whomever are the pronouns used as direct objects (of the preposition).

    Who and whoever are predicate nominatives.

    When it comes after to, it will always be a form of whom.

    Whoever is technically a subject word (like he or I), but whom would be the object (like him or me).

    Therefore, after the word to you would need to use the object word. Remember, you would never write, To he.

    To whom it may concern is the correct statement.

    ...

    I actually just copy and pasted that. Whomst cares.

  3. #3

    Trans Rights are Human Rights // Elune Says Queer Rights!

  4. #4
    Pit Lord KALAMITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The In-Between
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post

    The thread was necessary.

  5. #5
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,016
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Whom and whomever are the pronouns used as direct objects (of the preposition).

    Who and whoever are predicate nominatives.

    When it comes after to, it will always be a form of whom.

    Whoever is technically a subject word (like he or I), but whom would be the object (like him or me).

    Therefore, after the word to you would need to use the object word. Remember, you would never write, To he.

    To whom it may concern is the correct statement.

    ...

    I actually just copy and pasted that. Whomst cares.
    Yeah you’d think it would be that easy, but I don’t think I’ve asked two people and gotten the same answer which is interesting and not uncommon.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The thread was necessary.
    The idea is to facilitate a discussion since grammar is a odd thing sometimes. Maybe others can share other examples.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  6. #6
    The Forgettable Forgettable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah you’d think it would be that easy, but I don’t think I’ve asked two people and gotten the same answer which is interesting and not uncommon.

    The idea is to facilitate a discussion since grammar is a odd thing sometimes. Maybe others can share other examples.
    Grammar is not odd because there are defined rules. However people's education levels around those rules can vary, thus the confusion.

  7. #7
    Let me clue you in on a sneaky trick as an arguably professional lettersmith. 90% of the time now people just write 'To the relevant officer' as it both sounds more professional and sidesteps grammatical minefields.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  8. #8
    Pit Lord KALAMITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The In-Between
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

    The idea is to facilitate a discussion since grammar is a odd thing sometimes. Maybe others can share other examples.

    Then making a thread that champions discussion, instead of asking for an answer for something that is clearly defined, would be your better shot at facilitating discussion.


    An example: "Why are people's education levels generally not high enough to understand the difference between 'who' and 'whom'?"


    Now there is something people can discuss.

  9. #9
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Grammar is not odd because there are defined rules. However people's education levels around those rules can vary, thus the confusion.
    I feel find it’s limited to education levels

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Then making a thread that champions discussion, instead of asking for an answer for something that is clearly defined, would be your better shot at facilitating discussion.


    An example: "Why are people's education levels generally not high enough to understand the difference between 'who' and 'whom'?"


    Now there is something people can discuss.
    Because the thread isn’t about the right or wrong answer. It’s about how people answer that question honest participation along with discussion.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Grammar is not odd because there are defined rules. However people's education levels around those rules can vary, thus the confusion.
    Except English doesn't have formal rules and the manner in which the language is used varies wildly.

  11. #11
    The Forgettable Forgettable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    Except English doesn't have formal rules and the manner in which the language is used varies wildly.
    The former is not correct, but the latter is.

  12. #12
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,013
    "To whom" is the correct version, but "To who" will be understood. Depends on if you care about grammar or not
    Just like some people put periods after sentences, and some do not.

  13. #13
    You guys are all acting like grade A Toby's.

    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

    - Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    USA, Ohio
    Posts
    24,005
    It doesn't matter which you use for myself. As long as I understand what the person is saying, I could not care less what words they happen to use. I have never been a grammar freak or tried to correct people if they use what some would consider, the wrong grammar.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Is it “To Who” or “To Whom” it may concern?

    I’ll freely admit this one seems tricky. I say Whom
    Learn how to use google.

  16. #16
    Whom. Not going nuts about grammar but it's good to know.

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Twoddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,542
    If you don't like being told the right way to do something just ignore the advice, simple. No need to get snarky to someone who went out of their way offering to improve your life.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I feel find it’s limited to education levels

    - - - Updated - - -



    Because the thread isn’t about the right or wrong answer. It’s about how people answer that question honest participation along with discussion.
    Growing up in a poor urban area made me struggle with proper English, I have to look these things up as well.

  19. #19
    Warchief smityx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Walmart Basment FEMA Camp 7
    Posts
    2,125
    Neither. Just lead with "Sup"

  20. #20
    If you are interested the trick is if you can replace the word who/whom with he, it's who and if you replace it with him, it's whom.

    Eg "who/whom broke the glass", you would naturally say "he broke the glass", therefore its who

    "to who/whom " you would say "to him", not "to he", therefore it's to whom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •