Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Preach was saying in one of his videos that he would get to 60 before the end of the fourth covenant, without doing any side quests or any extra stuff. He would then spend another hour or so doing the rest of the fourth covenant then the Maw intro/ Torghast at max level before he could finally decide on a covenant.

With the new changes, that means you would probably be able to finish all the covenant questlines and the Maw intro/Torghast intro, and be lvl 59 .
    If we just do a few of the side quests and a couple of dungeons as we go , we could ding 60 just as we wrap things up.
    -
    No good deed goes unpunished!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkautumn View Post
    Preach was saying in one of his videos that he would get to 60 before the end of the fourth covenant, without doing any side quests or any extra stuff. He would then spend another hour or so doing the rest of the fourth covenant then the Maw intro/ Torghast at max level before he could finally decide on a covenant.

With the new changes, that means you would probably be able to finish all the covenant questlines and the Maw intro/Torghast intro, and be lvl 59 .
    If we just do a few of the side quests and a couple of dungeons as we go , we could ding 60 just as we wrap things up.
    He had to have done side content or been in war mode.

I did Main story marked quests, SOME side quests, and every single bonus area I came across and was 59.4 at the end of it all. And since quests don't scale I had to grind a bunch of quests with diminishing return XP, it was not fun even then, now it will be horrible if you don't plan for it. You probably won't even be 59 by the last quest. This wasn't some fluke either, I did it twice (once on warrior, once on monk)
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-08-20 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    This was news to me as well; was this ever announced or talked about? Interesting change, to be sure. If it stays this way, wouldn't that mean that alts would not be able to start in different zones? I thought that was a highlight of the alt experience, choose a covenant at 50, etc.
    On your first character leveling will be linear:

Bastion (Kyrian) > Maldraxxus (Necrolords) > Ardenweald (Night Fae)> Revendeth (Venthyr)

Once one character has completed this story (level 60 and joined a Covenant), any alts entering Shadowlands at level 50 will not have to repeat the linear questline. They may join any of the four Covenants immediately and begin working on world quests, Covenant-specific quests, and endgame goals. Players are certainly welcome to go back and quest in any of the four major Covenant realms if they wish, but this isn't required.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/shado...s-level-squish

I'll be doing 50-60 this weekend to see. Skipping side stuff, no dungeons, just main story.

Before the XP change, main story would ding you to 60 about half way through the last zone.

Quote Originally Posted by MabusGaming View Post
    I'll be doing 50-60 this weekend to see. Skipping side stuff, no dungeons, just main story.

Before the XP change, main story would ding you to 60 about half way through the last zone.
    Did you have WM on? Because Main story left me at less than half way through 59 and that was WITH bonus obj.

How long does it take to level 45-50 in Shadowlands versus 110-120 in BfA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I finished a few days ago to go from level 1-60. I did this as an alliance monk.

So a few caviats
    a) Due to testing the Monk-only quests at 48 and got a level's worth of rested XP
    b) I did ALL non-dungeon content that I could. So side quests and Main story quests

1-10 - hour (probably could have been less if I had a tracker like Auto Pilot

Tiragard Sounds
    Finished zone at level 33 almost 34. Picked up chests and Rare mobs as I went (note Azerite gear, both drops and quest rewards reward item level 58)

Drustvar
    Finished zone at level 48. Again picking up chests and rares as I went

Stormsong Valley
    Hit 50 about 1/3rd of the way through the east side of the zone.

Initial Maw
    Finished zone at level 51

Bastion
    Finished zone at level 53 almost 54

Maldraxxous
    Finished zone at level 56 almost 57

Ardenweild
    Finished zone 1/3rd through 59.

Revendreth
    Hit 60 while finishing up a sub-hub from the first major hub in the zone (side quest led to a mini-hub and was finishing that).

1-50 took me; not counting AFK and testing some things along the way; about 15 hours

50-60 took me about 20 hours. That is including reading all the text and what-not. If I was just speed running it, I could see running this part in 10-15 hours. After the change I can see 13-18.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2020-08-20 at 06:22 PM.

I did the whole story and all sidequests I could find in Bastion, Maldraxxus (sans one that I couldn't do due to bugs) and Ardenweald, however I skipped a few in Revendreth (though I still did some of those aswell) and I hit 60 with at least 4 chapters in the Revendreth story left. I did no dungeons besides Necrotic Wake once when I had the quest for it in Bastion.

I did not have WM active at any point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    when i learned anythin from mmo-c then it is that shit is only bad when the horde does it
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    How long does it take to level 45-50 in Shadowlands versus 110-120 in BfA?
    Pretty fast, even after the XP buff. Coincidentally I started Nazmir at level 45 and I dinged 50 at 6/8 zone completion (WM on, some side quests + bonus areas).

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The simple change is have the zones scale with your level, which they do at 60. The problem they will run into by increasing the XP requirements is that not scaling the zones with you will cause issues. For example, say you blow through the campaign and you're you're short XP, and you go back to do side quests. But wait a minute, the zones only scale to your level at 60, so all the quests you skipped in Bastion are gray and barely reward any XP. Maldraxxus has the same issue, and Ardenweald will be green, giving slightly more XP, but still reduced XP. And this is only one of a few scenarios where the current way the zone scaling is implemented will cause issues. These issues are the unintended consequences of making this XP change, which may end up causing far more issues beyond even what I can just postulate in a few minutes.
    I don't see why they can't have the zones scale. They want them to be linear. Ok, they can be, but linear doesn't mean they can't scale

Quote Originally Posted by FuujCraft View Post
    On your first character leveling will be linear:

Bastion (Kyrian) > Maldraxxus (Necrolords) > Ardenweald (Night Fae)> Revendeth (Venthyr)

Once one character has completed this story (level 60 and joined a Covenant), any alts entering Shadowlands at level 50 will not have to repeat the linear questline. They may join any of the four Covenants immediately and begin working on world quests, Covenant-specific quests, and endgame goals. Players are certainly welcome to go back and quest in any of the four major Covenant realms if they wish, but this isn't required.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/shado...s-level-squish
    Thanks for the clarification. That is really good to hear. Should make alt leveling to 60 a lot less tedious.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the last act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Of course, they might have intentionally left XP low the first pass through, to test more things more easily. I don't think anyone should draw conclusions past that about the first pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Pretty fast, even after the XP buff. Coincidentally I started Nazmir at level 45 and I dinged 50 at 6/8 zone completion (WM on, some side quests + bonus areas).
    Shiny, thanks man that's good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I hit 60 when I entered Revendreth. Increasing the XP requirement so that you hit 60 at the end of that zone makes sense.

Deleted my mage and started a new one after the experience increase and doing only Campaign quests with warmode enabled (+ 2 Wanted Quests in Bastion) I reached level 53 the moment I finished The Temple of Courage part in campaign (6/7) - Bastion.

It seems quite ok like this.
    Last edited by Ogait; 2020-08-21 at 08:25 PM.
    | Realm First Monk | Shadowlands Alpha Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I hit 60 when I entered Revendreth. Increasing the XP requirement so that you hit 60 at the end of that zone makes sense.
    What did you do while leveling? Doing only the main scenario and ever bonus obj. I was only 59.4 when I was DONE with revendreth. If they want to keep marking the main scenario like it's what you should be doing they need to scale the zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    What did you do while leveling? Doing only the main scenario and ever bonus obj. I was only 59.4 when I was DONE with revendreth. If they want to keep marking the main scenario like it's what you should be doing they need to scale the zones.
    Aside from main questline, did sidequests in Bastion and Ardenweald and ran through first two bosses of Necrotic wake few times in vain attempt of getting past the bugged third boss to finish the dungeon and bastion quests.

before nerf with warmode (30%) it takes me 2 zones (ofc with side quests; bastion and fea) and ~10-20% of next zone (vampires)

The nerf is a huge problem

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...eveling/619528

And I saw it coming, I haven't leveled a new character since then, but 3 characters before that hit the last quest at 59 and a half were enough for me to know there would be problems.

There very well could be a bug with the new XP requirements.
    #TeamTinkers