Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fact of the matter is AMD has been promising competition for years and has yet to deliver. The 5700XT is a somewhat decent budget option, but as soon as the Supers hit it was quickly forgotten for the vast majority of users.
    The 5700xt was still better value than 2060 super, 2070, and 2070 super, and it was a better performer than the 2060 super and 2070. How was it instantly forgotten?

New info -

Founders Edition cards are being sold at a loss and will be very scarce. The coolers cost upwards of $150-$200 to manufacture.

AIB cards are considerably more expensive to get the same performance as the Founders Editions.

Nvidia will release the 3080 20GB and the 3070 16 GB sometime later at much less reasonable prices.

I already have a 2070 Super. Unless something happens that requires me to upgrade quite a bit, I will wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    New info -

Founders Edition cards are being sold at a loss and will be very scarce. The coolers cost upwards of $150-$200 to manufacture.

AIB cards are considerably more expensive to get the same performance as the Founders Editions.

Nvidia will release the 3080 20GB and the 3070 16 GB sometime later at much less reasonable prices.
    You're gonna post something like that and not have a source?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    If the 3080 lives up to the hype I'm definitely getting one, although I'm a bit disappointed with it's amount of Vram. My cousin is dead set on buying my 1080 for $300 despite buying a 3070 would make more sense. I want a killer GPU for Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm wondering if my 8600k @ 4.8 on all cores will hold it back. I also may need to get a new PSU since mine is a top-end 750 Watt

- - - Updated - - -

wow, enjoy the upgrade !
    750w is the recommended power supply for the 3080, so yours should be fine.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Welcome to mmo-champion?

Either way, if true, then I guess I'll be keeping my gtx 1080 for another couple years until the next gen 4080 or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Source...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtfNcm45xk

He was spot on with everything with the nvidia Ampere launch.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    The 5700xt was still better value than 2060 super, 2070, and 2070 super, and it was a better performer than the 2060 super and 2070. How was it instantly forgotten?
    1) Some of AMDs board partners have no clue how to design GPUs, i.e. XFX, Asrock, Powercolor.
    2) Reference coolers are still HORRIBLE.
    3) Driver issues were bad again.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    1) Some of AMDs board partners have no clue how to design GPUs, i.e. XFX, Asrock, Powercolor.
    Performance is performance, regardless of how the architecture shakes out. If it works, it works.

2) Reference coolers are still HORRIBLE.
    Reference coolers are always horrible. Who the fuck actually buys reference coolers on ANY gpu?

3) Driver issues were bad again.
    This is a legit concern, but I accept it as part of getting better value and also wanting to get AMD back in the game so they can compete with nvidia and intel.

Performance is performance, regardless of how the architecture shakes out. If it works, it works.
    I wouldnt count burning/throttling as "works".

Reference coolers are always horrible. Who the fuck actually buys reference coolers on ANY gpu?
    1) AMD doesnt let board partners to launch their card with the reference models, so a lot of people usually buy reference on launch simply because there's nothing else available.
    2) Nvidia reference coolers are good performance-wise.

This is a legit concern, but I accept it as part of getting better value and also wanting to get AMD back in the game so they can compete with nvidia and intel.
    Yea, but it's not like it's Nvidia that is preventing AMD from pushing working drivers.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    If you have a RTX 2080 ti, there is really no reason to buy a RTX 3080, if the numbers are real, wich we don't know yet ofcuase. But if they are, then better wait for at ti or super version of the RTX 3080 or go for the 3090.

If you have a 2060/2070 or 2080 then there is a good reason to upgrade to the 3080 or 3070. But for 2080 ti users i don't really see the reason to upgrade to a 3080 IF the nembers are true. Then better wait for the card between the 3080/3090 or go for the 3090.
    Ah yeah. There isn't a reason to upgrade specifically to the 3080, but there is still a reason to upgrade if you want the epeen or performance

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    At half the price...
    Which is still goddamn expensive.

Also as kaelleria posted above, apparently Founders Edition cards have planned scarcity and AIB cards will be $70-$100 more expensive than FE. So it's more like 66% of the price, which is still a lot better than 2080ti was, but 2080ti was already more expensive than anything that became before it. Comparing 3080 to 1080ti launch price it's still the same and the performance increase is way less.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but it's not like it's Nvidia that is preventing AMD from pushing working drivers.
    They sort of did, by smashing them to the ground with 10 series and putting Radeon profits to non-existing levels. AMD is using Zen profits to drive Radeon currently. And am not blaming Nvidia for anything, just pointing out that AMD had no money to put towards Radeon for quite a while. And they had Raja.

I wouldnt count burning/throttling as "works".
    Have had zero issues, drivers or otherwise, and have not heard of cards burning up or throttling. Is this something relegated to references?

1) AMD doesnt let board partners to launch their card with the reference models, so a lot of people usually buy reference on launch simply because there's nothing else available.
    So be patient and wait like you have to do every time a new GPU gets close to dropping. The number of people who are asking for comp advice on this forum and getting told "wait a few months because new hotness is right around the corner" is staggering. It's also normal. Again, one month more in a series of waiting 4-6 months leading up to a new drop is nothing.

2) Nvidia reference coolers are good performance-wise.
    Lolwut? What exactly do you consider "good"? They're worse than all the non-reference coolers by about 10 degrees. That's not "good."

Agreed, however people just need to stop formulating their opinions on the early growing pains of cards. Stop being front end adopters. Wait till mid or last half of life to get stuff. I got my 5700 xt like 8 months ago and haven't had a single issue since I got it. No driver issues, no heat issues, no nothing. I appreciate people have, but you're acting like NVIDIA isn't also littered with tons of stuff like drivers bricking cards, people bitching about lots of stuff on updating drivers, rolling back to previous versions being a standard practice among nvidia, etc. They're not perfect either. I only had a few issues with my 1070 across it's life, and they were always easy to solve as well, but cmon...

Also as kaelleria posted above
    you mean made up himself ?

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    you mean made up himself ?
    Source...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxtfNcm45xk

He was spot on with everything with the nvidia Ampere launch.
    Don't really know what you are on about again. Now his source might be questionable, but from what I've seen he has been mostly right about stuff so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    They sort of did, by smashing them to the ground with 10 series and putting Radeon profits to non-existing levels. AMD is using Zen profits to drive Radeon currently. And am not blaming Nvidia for anything, just pointing out that AMD had no money to put towards Radeon for quite a while. And they had Raja.
    Eh? Yea, they chose to not compete with 1070/1080/1080Ti, but Polaris was good silicon. It was better than 1060. But then again, 1060 was still competitive because of shitty boards, bad coolers and driver issues on AMD's part. Nvidia did not contribute to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Have had zero issues, drivers or otherwise, and have not heard of cards burning up or throttling. Is this something relegated to references?
    As I said, a lot of people couldnt buy anything other than reference on launch and also a lot of board partners have made bad cards. If you were buying Sapphire all along you probably didnt have any of those issues but again, not everyone did.

So be patient and wait like you have to do every time a new GPU gets close to dropping. The number of people who are asking for comp advice on this forum and getting told "wait a few months because new hotness is right around the corner" is staggering. It's also normal. Again, one month more in a series of waiting 4-6 months leading up to a new drop is nothing.
    Yea, smart people will wait. But a lot of people would jump on a bandwagon, buy early, get burned and create a bad reputation for the good product because it wasnt marketed/handled/supported properly.

Lolwut? What exactly do you consider "good"? They're worse than all the non-reference coolers by about 10 degrees. That's not "good."
    Good means something that is comparable at the price point (and it is competing with entry level designs that are close to MSRP), not 50 dba loud, without any overheating issues or durability concerns. Pretty much any dual axial cooler would accomplish that.

Agreed, however people just need to stop formulating their opinions on the early growing pains of cards. Stop being front end adopters. Wait till mid or last half of life to get stuff. I got my 5700 xt like 8 months ago and haven't had a single issue since I got it. No driver issues, no heat issues, no nothing. I appreciate people have, but you're acting like NVIDIA isn't also littered with tons of stuff like drivers bricking cards, people bitching about lots of stuff on updating drivers, rolling back to previous versions being a standard practice among nvidia, etc. They're not perfect either. I only had a few issues with my 1070 across it's life, and they were always easy to solve as well, but cmon...
    No, they dont have to. Any manufacturer has to make sure that all the critical issues are fixed before you launch it. If there's a possibility of extracting more performance out of the card later - sure, I dont care. But people need to be sure that they stuff wont blackscreen or crash. Especially since AMD is running the same fricking architecture for over a decade already.

Some miscellaneous thoughts I've been having because I'm weird and think about these things...

The 30 series cards are going to be terrible for laptops due to their power draw.

AMD is going to have the best chance they've ever had to reach the high end laptop segment because OEMs aren't going to want to put in power hungry Intel CPUs and power hungry Nvidia GPUs.

Apparently the 3080 is beastly for Ethereum mining when OCd.. So we maybe in for another wave of nothing to be found for anything near MSRP. Not that you could buy the 3080 for MSRP, unless you luck out with a Founders Edition(from what rumors are telling us).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Apparently the 3080 is beastly for Ethereum mining when OCd.. So we maybe in for another wave of nothing to be found for anything near MSRP. Not that you could buy the 3080 for MSRP, unless you luck out with a Founders Edition(from what rumors are telling us).
    I'm unsurprised that it's good at mining. Mining is hyper parallelized, and GPUs have a lot of cores, so they're good at parallelized tasks, and the 3080 is a lot better than a 2080ti, which is also really good at mining.

As for another mining craze..? I'm not sure. Didn't all the popular coins swap to ASIC miners already? GPU mining will be ineffective compared to ASICs

Some miscellaneous thoughts I've been having because I'm weird and think about these things...

The 30 series cards are going to be terrible for laptops due to their power draw.

AMD is going to have the best chance they've ever had to reach the high end laptop segment because OEMs aren't going to want to put in power hungry Intel CPUs and power hungry Nvidia GPUs.
    We know nothing about the laptop 30 series powerdraw so why speculate? Also, AMD doesnt even have high end mobile GPUs.