Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Some miscellaneous thoughts I've been having because I'm weird and think about these things...

The 30 series cards are going to be terrible for laptops due to their power draw.

AMD is going to have the best chance they've ever had to reach the high end laptop segment because OEMs aren't going to want to put in power hungry Intel CPUs and power hungry Nvidia GPUs.

Apparently the 3080 is beastly for Ethereum mining when OCd.. So we maybe in for another wave of nothing to be found for anything near MSRP. Not that you could buy the 3080 for MSRP, unless you luck out with a Founders Edition(from what rumors are telling us).

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Apparently the 3080 is beastly for Ethereum mining when OCd.. So we maybe in for another wave of nothing to be found for anything near MSRP. Not that you could buy the 3080 for MSRP, unless you luck out with a Founders Edition(from what rumors are telling us).
    I'm unsurprised that it's good at mining. Mining is hyper parallelized, and GPUs have a lot of cores, so they're good at parallelized tasks, and the 3080 is a lot better than a 2080ti, which is also really good at mining.

As for another mining craze..? I'm not sure. Didn't all the popular coins swap to ASIC miners already? GPU mining will be ineffective compared to ASICs

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Some miscellaneous thoughts I've been having because I'm weird and think about these things...

The 30 series cards are going to be terrible for laptops due to their power draw.

AMD is going to have the best chance they've ever had to reach the high end laptop segment because OEMs aren't going to want to put in power hungry Intel CPUs and power hungry Nvidia GPUs.
    We know nothing about the laptop 30 series powerdraw so why speculate? Also, AMD doesnt even have high end mobile GPUs.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    We know nothing about the laptop 30 series powerdraw so why speculate? Also, AMD doesnt even have high end mobile GPUs.
    This most of this thread is speculation and rumors so far.. But hey at least the review embargo should lift today on the 3080. So that's at least something. Just a shame it's one day before launch. Doesn't give people much time to gather their thoughts.

And it's not too far fetched of an idea as Nvidia didn't really improve their Perf per Watt. Given we haven't seen a lower clocked Ampere.. All we know they could've done an AMD and just clocked the reference too high. Rumors on the other hand are putting some variant of Big Navi as 3080 +/- 10% and consuming 250-275 watts. And consoles have really low wattage numbers for their performance.

Also the speculation is also in AdoredTVs latest vid. He basically threw the same idea as an afterthought of the vid.

I'm on a 1440 so my 2070s is more than fine for the next few years

If I were to get a 3080 I'd need a new PSU and likely a new mobo, at that point I'm spending a lot more than I feel is worth

Just gonna wait for the 40xx series and go for a whole new rig

- - - Updated - - -

That is amazing value - I'd feel so bad if I'd bought a 2080ti

I actually have a GTX 680, so I don't feel like I have a massive need, or any need, to upgrade, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I only really feel bad for people who bought it within the last couple of months..
    I got my 2080ti at launch pretty much, and it's served me well for almost 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It's more like Turing wasn't amazing value. We got to remember 3080 is a GA102 designation die.. So we can compare it to 2080ti. So it's more of a return to the normal pricing(near 1080ti pricing).

Looking like Nvidia's claims of nearly double the 2080 performance are very false.

Looking like Nvidia's claims of nearly double the 2080 performance are very false.
    Was anyone thinking they wouldn't use the absolute best case possible?

Was anyone thinking they wouldn't use the absolute best case possible?
    Very true.

Some power numbers...
    3080 FE OC ~ 370 watts
    3080 Stock ~ 330 watts

That's bananas.

Very true.

Some power numbers...
    3080 FE OC ~ 370 watts
    3080 Stock ~ 330 watts

That's bananas.
    If you're used to running an OC 1080ti / 2080ti, the stock 3080 numbers wont really change much, as those cards run at 300-330w OC'd. And looking at the OC results, it probably wont be worth to OC the 3080 that much. Will be interesting to see what the AiB boards can do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    If you're used to running an OC 1080ti / 2080ti, the stock 3080 numbers wont really change much, as those cards run at 300-330w OC'd. And looking at the OC results, it probably wont be worth to OC the 3080 that much. Will be interesting to see what the AiB boards can do though.
    The FE is power restricted when it comes to OC, the numbers aren’t very telling right now.

I'm operating under the assumption that AIB cards like the 3080 Strix OC will use significantly more power than the FE cards as they have in the past. Are we going to see 400 watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The FE is power restricted when it comes to OC, the numbers aren’t very telling right now.
    Yeah, exactly. Will probably see 400w+ AiB cards. Will be great for those cold winter days we got incoming!

That's bananas.
    Considering it's a node shrink.. Sort of. But it's still an efficiency gain over Turing. Albeit a very slight one.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I only really feel bad for people who bought it within the last couple of months..
    I got my 2080ti at launch pretty much, and it's served me well for almost 2 years.
    True, I'd be happy for 2years or so out of a card that price

But yeah, people who brought them less than a year ago, that's gotta sting

- - - Updated - - -

So is the 1000w psu thing still true?

Considering it's a node shrink.. Sort of. But it's still an efficiency gain over Turing. Albeit a very slight one.
    Gotta love that Samsung 8nm