Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's all a bunch of paper launches for both Nvidia and AMD. They simply don't have stock for anything but a PR bait, will take a good half a year for both to really launch for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's all a bunch of paper launches for both Nvidia and AMD. They simply don't have stock for anything but a PR bait, will take a good half a year for both to really launch for the public.
    Stop spreading this crap please. No company has an ability to have sufficient stock for anything right now, and it's not their fault.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Stop spreading this crap please. No company has an ability to have sufficient stock for anything right now, and it's not their fault.
    I mean to a certain extent it is, if you buy into the hype about covid and actually close down you are choosing to hurt your business.

Infracted
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2020-11-17 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I mean to a certain extent it is, if you buy into the hype about covid and actually close down you are choosing to hurt your business.
    It doesnt matter what you buy and what you dont. None of these companies operate their own shipping services so there's nothing they can do.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Just have to wait another 6-9 months, eventually there will be enough supply.

In between my expectation of 3080Ti and reality of huge supply issues lasting months, I expect to only replace 1080Ti late next year - certainly not going to pay 50-100% markup just for a couple months advantage.
    I'm not saying you're stupid, but do you understand that 6-9 months pushes basically into the mid-year refresh for the line? That's stupid. You're advocating for someone to wait 6 months to buy an inferior product, just because they can't supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Okay, this is a completely dangerous comment and I'm going to report your comment, because it's damaging to the fabric of society.

There have been 55 million people diagnosed with COVID-19, and 1.3 million deaths.

Don't be a fucking douchebag.

Infracted
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2020-11-19 at 02:31 AM.

I'm totally ready for the next gen CPU's + GPU's... however my bank balance isn't so i'll just stick to my old tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you buy 3080 now for anything close to MSRP? No and won't be able to months to come. Same will be with 6800s and so on.

They launched a pretty power point to be "the first", then tossed a smidge out to the market that got wolfed down in a matter of minutes and there it ended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    I'm not saying you're stupid, but do you understand that 6-9 months pushes basically into the mid-year refresh for the line? That's stupid. You're advocating for someone to wait 6 months to buy an inferior product, just because they can't supply.
    OK, if you want to buy 3080 which shapes up to be already inferior product with 3080Ti under way from some scalper at 100% margin - be my guest. The "smart" approach as you advocate.

/shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Snagged a Gigabyte 3080 two weeks ago. It was a newegg combo deal that gave me a component that i was going to need for my wife's new computer. Her's i am going to go AMD CPU and GPU since it would be a fresh build but my PC i was just going to grab whichever card i could first, be it 3080 or 6800. I only play at 1440p as i honestly do not like 4k on a screen smaller than 50 inches (solely a person preference not based on any facts). I upgraded from a 1070 and boy howdy that was a snug fit in my case. The 12.7 inches fit fine, as i have no drive cages, the problem is, if i had not had 90 degree SATA cables, it wouldn't of fit. With my 90 degree cables there is all of 2mm of clearance from the bottom of the card and the top of the cable.

So far everything is smooth as silk. I am not a COD fan but since it came with Carl on Duty Black Cops: Cold Bar, i threw it in and cranked everything to max just to say i could. My 1070 did well but im ready to rehome that little guy.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you buy 3080 now for anything close to MSRP? No and won't be able to months to come. Same will be with 6800s and so on.

They launched a pretty power point to be "the first", then tossed a smidge out to the market that got wolfed down in a matter of minutes and there it ended.
    That doesn't make it a paper launch. It just means there's a fuck ton of demand and almost no supply due to Covid. Fabs and shipping are running way under capacity because of it, so they can't make as much as they want.

I guess then you would agree that AMD did the same with Zen 3 CPUs and RX 6000 GPUs, Sony and Microsoft with PS5 and Xbox S aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That doesn't make it a paper launch. It just means there's a fuck ton of demand and almost no supply due to Covid. Fabs and shipping are running way under capacity because of it, so they can't make as much as they want.
    What I don't understand is who are all of these people who can suddenly splurge on GPUs? I wouldn't expect stay-at-home to actually cause people to be like "You know what? Fuck it. I'll spend $2k on a new computer!"

Like who the fuck are all of these home DIY pc builders coming out of the wood works? Or is the supply side just __THAT__ fucked right now? I'd expect the DIY PC builder market to be a lot like the sports car market: A bunch of people who wish they could afford a sports car and cant, coupled with a few people who actually can. However, it seems that basically anything tech getting released this year suddenly has an endless demand, regardless of how pricey it is.

Maybe just a bunch of people making bad financial decisions due to covid depression?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Paper launch? what are you talking about? I got both an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 5900X on launch days with no issues lol. Paper launch lol.

Proof:

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    What I don't understand is who are all of these people who can suddenly splurge on GPUs? I wouldn't expect stay-at-home to actually cause people to be like "You know what? Fuck it. I'll spend $2k on a new computer!"
    I guess you're pretty new here. This happens literally EVERYTIME there are new GPUs released.

Like who the fuck are all of these home DIY pc builders coming out of the wood works? Or is the supply side just __THAT__ fucked right now?
    It's very much fucked, yeah.

I'd expect the DIY PC builder market to be a lot like the sports car market: A bunch of people who wish they could afford a sports car and cant, coupled with a few people who actually can. However, it seems that basically anything tech getting released this year suddenly has an endless demand, regardless of how pricey it is.
    MSRP-wise the cards are actually very well priced compared to RTX 2000.

Maybe just a bunch of people making bad financial decisions due to covid depression?
    That too, no doubt.

I guess you're pretty new here. This happens literally EVERYTIME there are new GPUs released.
    I definitely don't recall every past generation of GPU selling out within minutes of release. Same with consoles. Maybe after a few days, but instantly?

That too, no doubt.
    I know among my friends, a lot of them have lost jobs due to the pandemic shutdowns and, despite the fact that even when they WERE employed they wouldn't have been able to afford all this shit, they now buy (or attempt to buy?) every tech release. One of them who just had some random retail pleb job at ross pre-covid has now bought a 3080 AND a ps5... like bitch I know you ain't got the money for that, you're always mooching for EVERYTHING.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

I know among my friends, a lot of them have lost jobs due to the pandemic shutdowns and, despite the fact that even when they WERE employed they wouldn't have been able to afford all this shit, they now buy (or attempt to buy?) every tech release. One of them who just had some random retail pleb job at ross pre-covid has now bought a 3080 AND a ps5... like bitch I know you ain't got the money for that, you're always mooching for EVERYTHING.
    Must really grind your gears that I'm unemployed and on benefits, and bought the RTX 3080 on launch day AND the 5900X on launch day, then bought new mobo, case, RAM, and nvmes to go with it...

About £2000 in past 3 months.

I'm ready. What's the most expensive thing on the market I can buy just to flaunt my generational wealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Must really grind your gears that I'm unemployed and on benefits, and bought the RTX 3080 on launch day AND the 5900X on launch day, then bought new mobo, case, RAM, and nvmes to go with it...

About £2000 in past 3 months.
    Not really. I just don't understand how people, especially here in the US, are affording it. Europe has always carried their lazy, unlucky, and incapable more than I personally like, but that's nothing new.

I'm just wondering when is everyone going to blow through their funds so we can have reduced demand to match the reduced supply.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2020-11-17 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Like who the fuck are all of these home DIY pc builders coming out of the wood works? Or is the supply side just __THAT__ fucked right now? I'd expect the DIY PC builder market to be a lot like the sports car market: A bunch of people who wish they could afford a sports car and cant, coupled with a few people who actually can. However, it seems that basically anything tech getting released this year suddenly has an endless demand, regardless of how pricey it is.

Because people are working at home, and might not have access to their work computer, so they need one at home. And people just having more money either due to handouts from the government, or not needing to drive their car to work every day

And because supply side is massively fucked

Just received my 3080 yesterday and installed it in my rig before going to sleep. Looking forward to playing SL with raytraced shadows And some other games I guess.. But mainly WoW! Just hoping Blizzard adds DLSS support at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account

Look at it this way:

Most people haven't lost their jobs. A lot of people, especially those working in tech fields and generally interested in tech, have shifted towards working from home. Almost 60% of the entire workforce here in Finland is currently working from home. As a result there's also been a dramatic increase in demand for things like fast internet connections, new laptops, desktops, peripherals etc.

Add to that the fact that Covid has shut down all kinds of events, possibility of travel, most restaurant visits, cinemas etc etc etc. People also aren't commuting as much because of working from home so people have more time available in a day.

All in all, there are currently lots of people with more free time than normal, more money to spend on items because there are less "experiences" to spend money on now, and they're all cooped up at home because there's no traveling possible and no events to spend time at.
    Video games and movies/tv-shows are however a form of entertainment that is still available, which is why the demand is so enormous.

I don't remember where I read it anymore but basically some retailers have experienced Christmas rush levels of demand for computers for several months.