Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph....html?start=26

Some interesting numbers when lowering the power limit. 10%ish lower performance when running at 250w.
    Guess it will be better to just undervolt the cards, usually leads to less power usage while keeping the performance. In some cases you even get better performanceas temps go down.
    Whew, i was actually having second thoughts on getting a 3080 because the idea of it being a space heater, i live in a tropical country with absurd electricity costs. I guess im getting the cheapest 3080 and just do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You gotta consider transient power peaks as well. Pretty much all new GPU's cause these occasionally as a result of their boosting mechanisms. It's not uncommon to see ~100-200W peaks above their rated power draw. This can trip the overcurrent protection on some PSU's or simply cause voltage dips and crashes on other PSU's. It was an issue already with last gen GPU's and some PSU's (famously the Seasonic Focus GX lineup before they made a new version with more relaxed OCP limits).

If you have a very high quality 650W PSU you're maybe probably fine but I'd also recommend a high quality 750W.
    Yeah, that's true. But that can be overcome with some light undervolting, but you'll still be riding close to the redline on a 650w

15+ Year Old Account
    I will try to snatch a card today from several sources.

If I fail, I found MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio X for about €550.
    I might buy that and wait for the refresh or AMD response.

I can't fucking stand this integrated GPU anymore, and my HP Reverb G2 is coming in a couple of weeks.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure which 3080 to buy ������ currently have a zotac card (1070 mini) but chose that at the time due to it being cheap, but if i am spending £650~ I'd rather spend a bit more for a better one. Any suggestions or too early to say?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Not sure which 3080 to buy ������ currently have a zotac card (1070 mini) but chose that at the time due to it being cheap, but if i am spending £650~ I'd rather spend a bit more for a better one. Any suggestions or too early to say?
    Too early to say. That said, ASUS Strix has always been decently high quality but expensive. If you can swing the cash for it, it might be your best bet.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph....html?start=26

Some interesting numbers when lowering the power limit. 10%ish lower performance when running at 250w.
    Guess it will be better to just undervolt the cards, usually leads to less power usage while keeping the performance. In some cases you even get better performanceas temps go down.
    Heh, heh, if you buy a top end card and undervolt, you're doing it wrong.
    I want a custom bios with 400w power limit so I can overclock the crap out of it.

From a review:

The power draw under intensive gaming for the GeForce RTX 3080 is significant. We measured it to be in the 340 Watt range. Now, that is a peak value under stressed conditions. Gaming wise, that number will fluctuate a bit. Are we happy with that amount of energy consumption in the year 2020? No, not at all. Will you as an end consumer care about it? We doubt that as well.

I wonder when we will get a 75W card with ray-tracing capabilities. Last card with feasable passive cooling was the 1650.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Too early to say. That said, ASUS Strix has always been decently high quality but expensive. If you can swing the cash for it, it might be your best bet.
    Looks like the Strix 3080 and 3090 will use the same 2.9 slot cooler. So while the Strix series has a big pricetag attached to it, you'll at least get one of the biggest and best coolers out there along with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Heh, heh, if you buy a top end card and undervolt, you're doing it wrong.
    I want a custom bios with 400w power limit so I can overclock the crap out of it.
    Will be many cases where undervolting will be worth it.

Small formfactor cases, people using 4k@60hz monitors who wont really mind a 5% performance loss as it wont matter, or just people who aims to have their rig running as quiet as possible.

I used to be an overclocker, but these days I value a quiet rig more than one that gives me 5-10% more fps. And I cba to use water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the Strix 3080 and 3090 will use the same 2.9 slot cooler. So while the Strix series has a big pricetag attached to it, you'll at least get one of the biggest and best coolers out there along with it.
    Yeah, that's what I figured as well. And ASUS has generally cared a lot about their Strix lineup, making sure it's always close to the top of aircooled cards

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    From a review:

The power draw under intensive gaming for the GeForce RTX 3080 is significant. We measured it to be in the 340 Watt range. Now, that is a peak value under stressed conditions. Gaming wise, that number will fluctuate a bit. Are we happy with that amount of energy consumption in the year 2020? No, not at all. Will you as an end consumer care about it? We doubt that as well.

I wonder when we will get a 75W card with ray-tracing capabilities. Last card with feasable passive cooling was the 1650.
    I'm expecting a 3050 to run at <100w and be capable of ray-tracing. Not well, mind you, but still.

If you want a 75w GPU to do ray tracing well, come back in a decade or two

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm expecting a 3050 to run at <100w and be capable of ray-tracing. Not well, mind you, but still.
    The older I get the more noise is a concern for me. I have a passive cooled 1050Ti which is enough for WoW, Doom 2016 and similar old games. I feel left out in the GeForce 20 and 30 series.

I do a lot of homeoffice these days and bought an almost silent mini pc specifically for that, working 8 hours a day with a gaming pc would drive me nuts over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Been refreshing multiple sites for the last 35 minutes just in case someone lists early, not that I’m expecting anyone to. The suspense is terrific.
    Just a few more minutes!

Been refreshing multiple sites for the last 35 minutes just in case someone lists early, not that I’m expecting anyone to. The suspense is terrific.
    One can hope scalpers somehow screw up their automation and people can find one that isn't bloated above 800.

A grand total of 50ish cards available @ Norways biggest interwebs store, mostly cheaper cards.
    Strix \ Gaming X cards etc expected late september. No founders.

-

Just updated again before posting, 15 cards left.

If you're not buying today, you're probably not getting a card any time soon.

A grand total of 50ish cards available @ Norways biggest interwebs store, mostly cheaper cards.
    Strix \ Gaming X cards etc expected late september. No founders.

-

Just updated again before posting, 15 cards left.

If you're not buying today, you're probably not getting a card any time soon.
    Not to mention AIBs are reportedly getting a $50 rebate for every card they sell in September. So I'd expect prices to be higher when they come back in stock.

Best Buy went from coming soon to sold out for me 5 seconds after they went live, hehe.
    I do so wish scalping automation wasn't a thing.

"coming soon" hit f5 "sold out" geez.........

The cheaper cards aren't performing as well as the FE cards...

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The cheaper cards aren't performing as well as the FE cards...
    The EVGA card JayZ tested seems to be running a tiny bit worse, albeit quieter, but I'm genuinely surprised by the Asus TUF card.

HW Unboxed had their TUF card running 15c lower while running a few frames quicker than the FE card. derBauer also tore down his TUF, and even he was impressed by the cooling solution and how the card performed, even if his shuntmod didnt net him any performance gains worth mentioning.

It actually looks like the cheaper models are pretty good this time around, with decent performance while being very quiet. At least the Asus TUF.
    Obviously havent seen all the cheap AiB models yet, but so far so good.

MSI Gaming looks like the must have with just 33db under load and 71°.
    But over 350 Watt is heavy.