Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Are you ready for the next gen GPUs?

I sold my 1080Ti back in April, been using the integrated GPU since then, lol.

I'm thinking about getting 3080Ti, but there are a ton of rumors floating around.
    3090 with 12gb or 24gb (prices vary from $1399 to $2000).
    No 3080Ti. Straight jump from 3080 to 3090, with 3080 costing $999.
    Performance, 3080 being 30% faster than 2080Ti, 3090 being 50% faster than 2080Ti.
    Nvidia using Samsungs 8nm for their next-gen GPUs, with probable 7nm TMSC GPUs coming next year branded as Super. This lines up with 3080/3090 and no 3080Ti. Now they can milk more money from the top tier car (3090 Super).
    I believe that 3080Ti/3090 will be a bigger jump from 2080Ti than 2080Ti was from 1080Ti. 2xxx series introduced DLSS and RTX and I think that's why Nvidia raised the price. I don't expect 3xxx GPUs to be cheaper, but since they will just introduce improvements and there will be a die shrink, I expect more performance for the same cost or $100-200 more for the top tier GPUs.

AMD been extremely quiet, there are basically no leaks or rumors.
    We only know that if the specs from next-gen consoles could mean that AMD's top card should/could be some 30% faster than 2080Ti. This makes it competitive with 3080, but not 3090.

Intel talking about releasing their high-performance GPUs next year. I don't buy this at all, at least not to be competitive with top AMD/Nvidia cards, but it will be interesting to see. I welcome a 3rd player.

-----

But with all this information floating around. I'm thinking of other options.
    I can afford a €1500 3080 Ti, or 3090. And I want a top tier card since I game at 4k/120hz.

However...

I won't be paying €2000 for the top tier NON-TITAN GPU.
    The next-gen consoles are quite powerful. And they will cost around €500/600. I have already put aside €1500 for 3080Ti/3090.
    But if I sell my GPU-less computer (9900k clocked to 5hz on all cores, 32gb 3600mhz ram, water cooling, 2TB M.2 NVME SSDs, Creative sound card, pretty expensive case/mobo, it's a well-built computer not just to be fast but look good as well), then I could get some €1000-1200. And if I sell my 4k/120hz screen, I'd gather another €700-800 (it's Asus's 43" monitor, costs about €1200 new).
    If I sell everything, I'd have around €3400. €2500 for a laptop with 2070 max-p/2080 max-q so I can play some games like WoW, €500 for a good 1440p monitor, and €500 for a console.
    They say, vote with your wallet, so I just might do that if Nvidia pulls some crazy shit this gen.
    11 days until Nvidia's GeForce event. I assume it won't take long after that until we hear some leaks from AMD.

What's your plan?
    Last edited by Strawberry; 2020-08-21 at 09:33 AM.

30xx series won't be fast enough to play games in 4k on ultra so if you are hoping for that then it's a waste of money.

I'll be using my 1080ti since I only play wow from time to time but will probably buy ps5 when sale starts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    30xx series won't be fast enough to play games in 4k on ultra so if you are hoping for that then it's a waste of money.

I'll be using my 1080ti since I only play wow from time to time but will probably buy ps5 when sale starts.
    You must be talking about 3060, or 3070. Because already 2080Ti is fast enough to push everything on 4k and ultra. But not at 120hz.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    2080ti is a beast but indeed the limitation at 60hz for 4k kills the deal (at least for me). Its superb for 1440p gaming. The other real problem I faced while researching was the lack of adequate monitors to support these nice cards at 4k. With monitors I felt its like hit and miss always something missing and exorbitant amounts of money to find something decent.

Personally, as I am building a pc as we speak, my decision was to ignore the wait and the price of 3xxx surely they ll be faster etc but at some point we have to consider the bang for buck. I literally can't think of a title that I play or expect to play that would need so much power.

Obviously everyone is different but I speak as an average user with some spending power and simpler needs.
    Wait 2 weeks if you can. Pretty sure the prices of 2xxx series are going to tank with the new announcement.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm definitely not prepared for the absurd prices of new video cards. I have a 1080 now and play at 1440p. I doubt I'll be able to keep playing at that resolution any longer once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, but I cannot afford those $600+ cards. Oh well. Prices just keep going up, and I've been priced out.

Like usual, I'm ready, to buy a card from 2 generations before.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I'm definitely not prepared for the absurd prices of new video cards. I have a 1080 now and play at 1440p. I doubt I'll be able to keep playing at that resolution any longer once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, but I cannot afford those $600+ cards. Oh well. Prices just keep going up, and I've been priced out.
    Maybe search a second GTX 1080 then and use SLI?
    You can find a cheap 1080 for around 100-150€ with luck.

I have a nice $2000 budget set aside for a new computer. It's so hard waiting for the 3000 series because, well, I want to build it NOW lmao! But with the 3070 likely being the same if not better performance wise as the 2080TI for a LOT less money - I have to wait.

Upgrading from 1070 before Cyberpunk would be nice, but the damn cards gonna cost $3000 each to fit their name.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Nvidia really went nuts with prices with their monopoly. 1400 USD for GPU? Or even 1k USD GPU for 3080? I really hope Intel and AMD will get them down a peg in 2021.

They are getting a bit ahead of themselves there.

People don't have money to spend because of Corona and those fuckers want to make prices even higher? Have fun going broke idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Babadoo View Post
    People don't have money to spend because of Corona and those fuckers want to make prices even higher? Have fun going broke idiots.
    #truth

My five year old processor, mother board & ram are all being replaced this year, I’m praying to find a good deal to boost my performance (which really, to me - isn’t suffering - my god seem fine).. I just think it’s time to invest a little bit into my hobby (mainly blizzard games) and I don’t think anyone should be paying those astronomical prices but I mean, invest in what you enjoy
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Except they won't go broke. I'm a consumer myself too and I would also love to see the company take some heat but realistically, that would never happen in the current market. That's the downside of the duopoly AMD & nVidia have. Let's just pray Intel can stir up the market with their gaming GPU and maybe later some chinese competitors (probably takes 5-10 years).

I even highly suspect nVidia throttling their power leaps just for financial gain. I believe if they wouldn't purposely hold back their power gains, we would be on RTX50XX and maybe even RTX60XX in terms of GPU power now.

The majority of people who lost their jobs couldn't afford mid to top end pc components if they wanted. It seems a major portion of the working class is sitting at home working, while saving a ton of money and paying off debt. There is a decent case to be made that these boutique items are in higher demand now because those same customers won't be eroding their budgets with nights out.

Considering the price range I've been given ($1300-1500) and stuff that goes into the 3090 I think the price can easily be justified. Yea, that's fucking expensive, but the card is also insane.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Bought a RX580 8GB last year, I am good on the GPU part for 2 or 3 more years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Considering the price range I've been given ($1300-1500) and stuff that goes into the 3090 I think the price can easily be justified. Yea, that's fucking expensive, but the card is also insane.
    I don't know man. I don't find that price justified.
    1080 Ti is still a monster of a card. It *can* game at 4k/60hz if you dial down some visuals. I gamed at 4k/50 fps with absolutely everything on (even hairworks) my old 1080Ti, in The Witcher 3.
    Yes it's an aging game, but I also maxed almost everything in Metro Exodus, at 4k. I probably had around 45 fps, but I find that good enough, it's not a competitive shooter.

2080Ti was expensive and it's because of DLSS and Ray Tracing. But I still didn't find the price bump justified. My 1080Ti was a great card.
    3xxx series brings Ray Tracing and DLSS as well to the table, but it's not the first-gen tech and there is now "some" competition from AMD and new consoles being released.
    Nvidia will have to fight really hard if they want my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I don't know man. I don't find that price justified.
    1080 Ti is still a monster of a card. It *can* game at 4k/60hz if you dial down some visuals. I gamed at 4k/50 fps with absolutely everything on (even hairworks) my old 1080Ti, in The Witcher 3.
    Yes it's an aging game, but I also maxed almost everything in Metro Exodus, at 4k. I probably had around 45 fps, but I find that good enough, it's not a competitive shooter.

2080Ti was expensive and it's because of DLSS and Ray Tracing. But I still didn't find the price bump justified. My 1080Ti was a great card.
    3xxx series brings Ray Tracing and DLSS as well to the table, but it's not the first-gen tech and there is now "some" competition from AMD and new consoles being released.
    Nvidia will have to fight really hard if they want my money.
    I agree but why do you blame 3090 for that? Nvidia has to improve with every generation, and they do improve. There isnt going to be any competition from AMD, likely for the 3090, 3080 and 3070.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I agree but why do you blame 3090 for that? Nvidia has to improve with every generation, and they do improve. There isnt going to be any competition from AMD, likely for the 3090, 3080 and 3070.
    The price/performance got worse from 1xxx to 2xxx.

2080Ti was some 175% of the price of 1080Ti, here in Sweden at least. Nearly double.
    The performance was about 130% of 1080Ti.

1080Ti was some 125% of 980Ti price, but 190% performance.

(at 4k)

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the main issue. The returns are not there, they just cost more because of that RTX crap, which is still mostly a nascent thing

If they'd for a second would want to be pro-consumer, they'd make RTX an addon on card itself or on another slot, like PhysX was. Then people could have reasonably priced GPUs and those who want would buy an addon.

But no.