Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post

3070’s are delayed so they can launch with more stock. And most launches are like this these days. Availability will level out soon enough and anyone who wants a 3080 will have access.
    Press X to doubt

3070’s are delayed so they can launch with more stock. And most launches are like this these days. Availability will level out soon enough and anyone who wants a 3080 will have access.
    It's quite obvious that it's due to the AMD event on the 28th. Be it to kill AMD hype or prevent AMD from comparing it to RDNA2 or simply to possibly drop the price if AMD undercuts them by a lot.

And what comes to launches.. 3080 launch was very limited in Europe at least. You got only a handful of cards in remote regions.

They literally released under 20k 3080 cards world wide for launch.... They're slow walking this release to try to kill AMDs cards.

More info - the top Navi card may even beat the 3090 in rasterization performance.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    https://imgur.com/WEJdEJ9
    Well, atleast I know what position I'm in now lol. Taking bets on which comes first: The card or SL. I'll go with SL

No clue how to get the image to show w/o clicking link, ah well.
    Last edited by Hypasonic; 2020-10-02 at 07:28 PM.

Stick to your day job, comedy isn’t your strong suit.
    What did I say that got you so amused? The fact that they are treating AMD as a threat? I would. I don't think they will threathen the 3080 or 3090, but likely going to be better than the 3070. And AMD has never shied away from large undercutting when they were behind. Just look at what happened with first gen Ryzen. You got 8 core CPUs for less than Intel was offering their 4c/4t CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    More info - the top Navi card may even beat the 3090 in rasterization performance.
    I really doubt it will. It will likely be somewhat near the 3080 with less RT performance. And they need a solution to combat DLSS too. RIS alone ain't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I really doubt it will. It will likely be somewhat near the 3080 with less RT performance. And they need a solution to combat DLSS too. RIS alone ain't cutting it.
    Just repeating what I've been hearing on various channels. I do agree with you about RT and DLSS though.

Like I want AMD to do well because Nvidia needs to get its head out of its ass but I'll still use Nvidia unless they AMD can improve it's software stack by a ton. DLSS is kind of a game changer for certain games and personally I can't really use AMD unless they vastly improve AMF, it doesn't hold a candle to nvenc right now.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-10-02 at 08:05 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post

The 8700k is bottlenecking the 3080 pretty hard.
    You're telling me that an 8700K @ 5ghz all cores is a bottleneck? Coz this seems to disagree with you.

Your idea that they moved the launch to interfere with *checks notes* an announcement of AMDs card is hilarious.
    Eh, this happens a lot of the times in virtually every industry.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except it’s not obscure. It’s part of modern life at this point. Seriously though, why is being corrected so offensive?
    Because it's unnecessary. We know what was meant. Correcting people on the internet about terminology is meaningless posturing as far as I'm concerned. Especially considering that "2K" is very often being used to refer to 1440p. No one I've met refers to 2k in any other way than that. Words and shorthand change meaning all the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Education is never unnecessary. I love gaining new knowledge and would never get pissed because someone offered it. Maybe that’s just me though. And I know plenty of people who use resolution names appropriately, but I work as a programmer.
    Not pissed. Irritated. And it's not education if it's unsolicited imo. Language changes all the time, as I'm learning myself. If people are using 2k to refer to 1440p, I don't think it's necessary to correct everyone who does it. It's far easier to use "2K" interchangeably than try to get everyone to standardize it in non-professional conversation.

It in no way fucks with AMD though. If it was a launch day? Maybe, but they’re just announcing the product. Dropping the 3070 will have zero impact on that.
    Zero you say? AMD cannot compare their product to a 3070 as it has not launched yet. Nvidia kills the hype from AMD with a massive launch the very next day. Those are 2 very big things that have an impact on consumers. Better yet, you release the NDA on reviews right after the AMD event. That way all reviews have Nvidia cards and 5700xt in them showing Nvidia is clearly ahead in everything. Afterall most people just go for the graphs anyways, they wont stop to ask if anything is missing from this. It may not have any on you, but don't assume it wont on others.

Only way this backfires on Nvidia is that AMD is so far ahead that even a price cut wont make sense to buy a 3070. And.. That probably isn't going to happen.

I'm ready for a 3070, but it seems they aren't ready for me

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    It's close enough, dude. Seriously. There's no need to be so pedantic about such obscure terminology.
    It's not close enough, or obscure.
    If people started saying that 720p was 1050p they'd get laughed at. Why is it any different when people call 1440p 2k? They're completely different, in every way.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's unnecessary. We know what was meant. Correcting people on the internet about terminology is meaningless posturing as far as I'm concerned. Especially considering that "2K" is very often being used to refer to 1440p. No one I've met refers to 2k in any other way than that. Words and shorthand change meaning all the time.
    And no, the problem is that we DON'T know what was meant. Do you mean the correct 2k? Or the kinda-correct 2k? Or the completely wrong 2k? There's no way of knowing. When we then find out you meant the wrong one, we correct it, because using the wrong terminology is a bad idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's not close enough, or obscure.
    If people started saying that 720p was 1050p they'd get laughed at. Why is it any different when people call 1440p 2k? They're completely different, in every way.

- - - Updated - - -

And no, the problem is that we DON'T know what was meant. Do you mean the correct 2k? Or the kinda-correct 2k? Or the completely wrong 2k? There's no way of knowing. When we then find out you meant the wrong one, we correct it, because using the wrong terminology is a bad idea.
    How infrequently do you see people on this site use 2k to mean 1440p? Because every time I see it, I know exactly what they mean, because everywhere I frequent, people use that term as shorthand for 1440p. I highly doubt anyone's going to laugh at you for calling 1440p "2k", I've seen and heard people call it that for years now. I really don't get why it needs correction in a non-professional forum. If this was in a professional workplace message board or something I'd get it. But it's a gaming forum. The meaning of words and phrases change all the time, why is it such an oddity that it requires correction, when so many apparently have become comfortable with a different term?

Education is gaining new knowledge, solicitation is not required. Sounds like you need a bit more education and a little less resentment of ignorance being corrected. There’s nothing wrong with being ignorant until you get upset when someone tries to correct the deficit. At that point it becomes willful ignorance and you can go fuck yourself.
    I don't even see why that kind of language was necessary. I guess we're done.

10+ Year Old Account
    How infrequently do you see people on this site use 2k to mean 1440p? Because every time I see it, I know exactly what they mean, because everywhere I frequent, people use that term as shorthand for 1440p. I highly doubt anyone's going to laugh at you for calling 1440p "2k", I've seen and heard people call it that for years now. I really don't get why it needs correction in a non-professional forum. If this was in a professional workplace message board or something I'd get it. But it's a gaming forum. The meaning of words and phrases change all the time, why is it such an oddity that it requires correction, when so many apparently have become comfortable with a different term?
    Almost every time 2k is used, it's used in reference to 1440p. And every time I see it used like that, I will correct them. Because words mean things. If all of a sudden people starting saying that yellow was green, that doesn't mean that yellow is now green, it means that people who say that are wrong, and they should be corrected.

You can't take a word that has a specific defined meaning and then use it to describe something completely different, that shares no similarities with the original definition besides them both being in the same category of things, like colours, or resolutions.

If you do that, then words will stop having meaning, and you'll have to stop using the shorthand all together because there are those who know what it actually means, and those who wrongfully assume it means something else, and unless you ask you won't know, completely defeating the point of using a shorthand descriptor to begin with.

2k is 2048x1080
    FHD is 1920x1080
    These are.. Close enough that it makes some sense, just like UHD and 4k are basically the same thing (both are 2160 pixels vertically), and 4k has sadly become a moniker for UHD.

QHD is 2560x1440
    It shares *NOTHING* in common with 2k. If you want to use the "k" moniker for it, call it 2.5k or something

I just want to get my paws on a 3080 in general. Hopefully everyone goes off trying to get the 20GB ones thus making the 10GB ones back into stock.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Almost every time 2k is used, it's used in reference to 1440p. And every time I see it used like that, I will correct them. Because words mean things. If all of a sudden people starting saying that yellow was green, that doesn't mean that yellow is now green, it means that people who say that are wrong, and they should be corrected.

You can't take a word that has a specific defined meaning and then use it to describe something completely different, that shares no similarities with the original definition besides them both being in the same category of things, like colours, or resolutions.

If you do that, then words will stop having meaning, and you'll have to stop using the shorthand all together because there are those who know what it actually means, and those who wrongfully assume it means something else, and unless you ask you won't know, completely defeating the point of using a shorthand descriptor to begin with.

2k is 2048x1080
    FHD is 1920x1080
    These are.. Close enough that it makes some sense, just like UHD and 4k are basically the same thing (both are 2160 pixels vertically), and 4k has sadly become a moniker for UHD.

QHD is 2560x1440
    It shares *NOTHING* in common with 2k. If you want to use the "k" moniker for it, call it 2.5k or something
    Here's the thing. I used to feel the same way until I realized it's already being done, and likely has been done before. As an example, Merriam Webster apparently, very recently, changed the definition of the word literally. Words change meaning seemingly quite often, and keeping up can be a pain. But I've seen this 2k=1440p for several years now, and it seems on track to be an alternative definition. You've got to understand that most people aren't programmers or in the tech space in that way, and pick up what they can, bastardizing what was once clear. Myself included. As much as I'd love to be on the side of correcting people, it appears to be a losing, meaningless battle.

Here's the thing. I used to feel the same way until I realized it's already being done, and likely has been done before. As an example, Merriam Webster apparently, very recently, changed the definition of the word literally. Words change meaning seemingly quite often, and keeping up can be a pain. But I've seen this 2k=1440p for several years now, and it seems on track to be an alternative definition. You've got to understand that most people aren't programmers or in the tech space in that way, and pick up what they can, bastardizing what was once clear. Myself included. As much as I'd love to be on the side of correcting people, it appears to be a losing, meaningless battle.
    I know what you mean when talking about words changing all the time, but in this case some absolute clueless people started calling it 2k, and it should absolutely be called out when someone uses it. Its not just words we're talking about, its an actual industry standard. Now, I use 4k instead of UHD, as those resolutions are basically the same when it comes to pixel density (and pretty much no one uses UHD), but using 2k for 1440p is just straight up wrong.

Using 2K to describe 1440p would be like confusing a 4k monitor with a 5k one (5120 x 2880). Or calling a 120hz monitor 144hz. Or saying your car has 200kw when it has 200hp. Those things are very different, and its the same difference when calling it 2k.

You might have seen people use 2k for some years, but those people have been very wrong for a long time. And being wrong for a long time isnt a good excuse to keep using an industry standard incorrectly. That being said, most people do use 1440p correctly. For every 10x 1440p mention I see, I might see 1x 2K, so its not like its commonly used.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    I know what you mean when talking about words changing all the time, but in this case some absolute clueless people started calling it 2k, and it should absolutely be called out when someone uses it. Its not just words we're talking about, its an actual industry standard. Now, I use 4k instead of UHD, as those resolutions are basically the same when it comes to pixel density (and pretty much no one uses UHD), but using 2k for 1440p is just straight up wrong.

Using 2K to describe 1440p would be like confusing a 4k monitor with a 5k one (5120 x 2880). Or calling a 120hz monitor 144hz. Or saying your car has 200kw when it has 200hp. Those things are very different, and its the same difference when calling it 2k.

You might have seen people use 2k for some years, but those people have been very wrong for a long time. And being wrong for a long time isnt a good excuse to keep using an industry standard incorrectly. That being said, most people do use 1440p correctly. For every 10x 1440p mention I see, I might see 1x 2K, so its not like its commonly used.
    Yet it's not really people on these forums that are coming up with this naming. It's the monitor makers. And they won't stop, it's the same with motherboard standards and what E-ATX actually means. You just have to live with it. Correcting someone will just confuse them further as searching for 2k would actually land on something they are searching for and now if something says 2k after people correcting them, they think something marketed as 2k is not 1440p as it certainly is.

10+ Year Old Account
    But people who aren't in the tech space don't even know that 1440p exists. For most people it's either 768p, 1080p, or 2160p/4k/UHD Because as a society we mostly just skipped over 1440p and 1800p. It's only really gamers who use 1440p.

And if it's only people who're ignorant of the truth, why do we let them direct what words mean? That'd be like a rando walking into a museum and calling Van Gogh's work post modern and everyone believing them, or people saying that yellow is now green and everyone rolling with it. In both those cases they'd be shut down by people who know better, because they have no reason to be directing those discussions.