Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That'd be like a rando walking into a museum and calling Van Gogh's work post modern and everyone believing them, or people saying that yellow is now green and everyone rolling with it.
    Not funny. That happens way too often in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    In both those cases they'd be shut down by people who know better, because they have no reason to be directing those discussions.
    You wish.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Yet it's not really people on these forums that are coming up with this naming. It's the monitor makers. And they won't stop, it's the same with motherboard standards and what E-ATX actually means. You just have to live with it. Correcting someone will just confuse them further as searching for 2k would actually land on something they are searching for and now if something says 2k after people correcting them, they think something marketed as 2k is not 1440p as it certainly is.
    I've heard this before but I don't see it. I even recently had a look through LG, Samsung, and AOC websites and nowhere did I find "2K" used as a description or marketing term. I also had a look through several retailers here in Finland and again, nothing. Search for "2K" on gigantti and there are no monitor or TV results. It's exclusively called WQHD/QHD (those are the same) or 1440p.

In fact, the only place I see "2K" being used to refer to 1440p is in various subreddits like r/buildapc and the like where people are generally clueless and then it leaks out from there to other less professional forums. Absolutely no one who actually knows anything about computers and monitors calls it 2K, neither does any competent tech media.

If amateurs choose to call a resolution by a name that is simply wrong I will absolutely 100% of the time correct that. I really don't give a damn if "lots of people" have accepted it to mean something it doesn't, because lots of people can be idiots more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    I've heard this before but I don't see it. I even recently had a look through LG, Samsung, and AOC websites and nowhere did I find "2K" used as a description or marketing term. I also had a look through several retailers here in Finland and again, nothing. Search for "2K" on gigantti and there are no monitor or TV results. It's exclusively called WQHD/QHD (those are the same) or 1440p.

In fact, the only place I see "2K" being used to refer to 1440p is in various subreddits like r/buildapc and the like where people are generally clueless and then it leaks out from there to other less professional forums. Absolutely no one who actually knows anything about computers and monitors calls it 2K, neither does any competent tech media.

If amateurs choose to call a resolution by a name that is simply wrong I will absolutely 100% of the time correct that. I really don't give a damn if "lots of people" have accepted it to mean something it doesn't, because lots of people can be idiots more often than not.
    Verkkokauppa for instance has a category called 2k QHD. Benq has a definition for 2k as follows: "2K displays are those whose width falls in the 2,000-pixel range. More often than not, you’ll find 2K monitors with a display resolution of 2560x1440, that’s why it’s often shortened to 1440p. However, this resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD). As such, many monitors claim their resolution as 2K QHD."

And that's after about 10 seconds of googling and checking for sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing the Shadowlands Beta on the 3080 I'm both impressed and also a bit disappointed so far. Even the lowest setting of RT-shadows absolutely tanks performance for me on 1440p. It actually made a more dramatic visual difference than I thought, mainly for environmental shadows, but 30 fps is still eh.

Thing is both highest and lowest setting of RT seem to incur the same performance penalty and it's beta so I'm of course hoping that they are still tinkering with this feature and that things improve. But maybe it will be a no-go for 9.0..

15+ Year Old Account
    Can we get a mod in here to clean up all this talk about 2k res (start a thread about it instead of hijacking this one) and get to the topic of the thread.

OT: I'm waiting for amd benchmarks after release to decide on my next card.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

10+ Year Old Account
    IM hoping AMD release a card better than the 3070 for the same price or less. If they can do that, thats what ill buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Playing the Shadowlands Beta on the 3080 I'm both impressed and also a bit disappointed so far. Even the lowest setting of RT-shadows absolutely tanks performance for me on 1440p. It actually made a more dramatic visual difference than I thought, mainly for environmental shadows, but 30 fps is still eh.

Thing is both highest and lowest setting of RT seem to incur the same performance penalty and it's beta so I'm of course hoping that they are still tinkering with this feature and that things improve. But maybe it will be a no-go for 9.0..
    They probably only have one profile for RT atm. Or that is at least my guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    IM hoping AMD release a card better than the 3070 for the same price or less. If they can do that, thats what ill buy.
    I wish I could do that. Gsync monitor though, so that's never going to happen.

15+ Year Old Account
    People biting each other's heads off over using the term "2K", lmao! Now you're starting to see why I put half these guys on ignore, protip.

Category reads: Off-topic - Computer. It doesn't say Computer Education, Computer Class, Computers 101, Computer Science, etc. You're not a professor in a class, just please spare us! Thank you!
    Last edited by msdos; 2020-10-04 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I wish I could do that. Gsync monitor though, so that's never going to happen.
    Either way Im going to go for whatever the best price/performance is for the 450-550 price range. I have a 1070, so anything should be a pretty large upgrade. IM guessing the 3070 is going to be twice, or nearly twice as fast.

15+ Year Old Account
    THREAD WARNING

Let's drop the 2k argument. If you want to argue about it, make a new thread. Stop hijacking this one. From this point forward, 2k discussion in this thread will result in infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Availability of the 30 series cards is going to be low... probably until at least next year.
    What's that past me? You were right?
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nv...ast-until-2021

Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    3 x MSI AG32C Monitor
    Isn't that a 1080p monitor, if so why do you need 2080 let alone 3080.for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Maybe using all of them for gaming at the same time?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Because I can.
    I do often run 2 versions of WoW and want something that can push the fps. I may end up with a 3090 if one comes available before a 3080 FTW3.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

5+ Year Old Account
    Anyone in this thread running an EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING ? If so how has the cards performance been for you.

I havnt found many reviews for it online.

I originally ordered a founders edition with my build but it seems like I got that EVGA installed instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Anyone in this thread running an EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING ? If so how has the cards performance been for you.

I havnt found many reviews for it online.

I originally ordered a founders edition with my build but it seems like I got that EVGA installed instead.
    Im skipping the XC3 and going for the FTW3 Ultra. It is top card under the 3090.
    It performs so well in all the benchmarks.

Evga RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra Info
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Just ordered the first part (Fractal Meshify C Dark Mid Tower Case) for my first desktop PC. Slightly nervous but super excited as well. Waiting to see if any prices drop on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Now I eagerly await the 3070 and 5k AMD CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    Im skipping the XC3 and going for the FTW3 Ultra. It is top card under the 3090.
    It performs so well in all the benchmarks.

Evga RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra Info
    Yeah, that's the one I'm in queue for at EVGA. Luckily I put in my "notify me" almost as soon as possible (9-17) so we'll see. I'm also interested in the Aorus, it looks pretty beefy as well. I think the out of the box boost clocks are 1845 or so, and it looks pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chult View Post
    Yeah, that's the one I'm in queue for at EVGA. Luckily I put in my "notify me" almost as soon as possible (9-17) so we'll see. I'm also interested in the Aorus, it looks pretty beefy as well. I think the out of the box boost clocks are 1845 or so, and it looks pretty nice.
    Did the EVGA queueing system let you know how many people were in front of you? If so we can roughly tell how much nvidia is shipping to each AIB.