Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Apparently running Godfall on 4k ultra textures requires 12GB of vram. So you need to downgrade the textures on many GPUs. Then again this is AMD supported title so hopefully it's the odd one out and not a trend for next gen games.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can bet that next gen games will be using whole boatloads more VRAM, simply because new consoles allow this.

That's my no.1 reason why I did not even spit on 3080 with its laughable 10GB VRAM - it's simply not going to hold my intended 4 years cycle for GPU. I hope Nvidia will ship inevitable 3080Ti with 12GB VRAM (makes sense configuration-wise), because I completely expect select games down the road having the capability to fill this buffer.

And even that is frikkin' stingy for what will be a smidge shy of 1 grand GPU.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-11-03 at 06:20 PM.

"use" VRAM (fill up) =/= actually requires that much physical VRAM to run well

10-12 will be plenty for 4K, and even less will be needed with RTX I/O

The rumors be plenty. https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/stat...85556417863680 seems to be the new candidate for a 3080ti spec. Which would make it pretty much a 3090 in gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The rumors be plenty. https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/stat...85556417863680 seems to be the new candidate for a 3080ti spec. Which would make it pretty much a 3090 in gaming.
    Haven't Nvidia already confirmed they've scrapped their plans for a 3080ti though?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    "use" VRAM (fill up) =/= actually requires that much physical VRAM to run well

10-12 will be plenty for 4K, and even less will be needed with RTX I/O
    12Gb probably, I have my doubts about 10GB.

RTX I/O is basically vaporware before it's even launched. MS DirectStorage will fill the same function and have much broader availability. I don't imagine any developer will have any reason to use RTX I/O.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, just the plans for a 3080 20GB(not the same thing as it would have the same performance just double the vram).
    Ah, I just kinda assumed they'd be the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, just the plans for a 3080 20GB(not the same thing as it would have the same performance just double the vram).

- - - Updated - - -

You mean aside from a deal with Nvidia or the like right?
    Yeah I guess given enough money I suppose someone will make something as a showpiece for Nvidia, but beyond that I don't see any future in RTX I/O.

I’m just remembering hairworks and Witcher 3. Hehe
    Or excessive amounts of tesselation in their sponsored titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder how some of these AMD cards will turn out in terms of performance for video editing (Resolve user). Hopefully Puget will get some benchmarks soon. My hopes are low tho since NVIDIA dominates due to NVENC.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2020-11-04 at 07:29 PM.
    -K

I’m just remembering hairworks and Witcher 3. Hehe
    Looked great. Horrible performance with it enabled though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I do wonder how some of these AMD cards will turn out in terms of performance for video editing (Resolve user). Hopefully Puget will get some benchmarks soon. My hopes are low tho since NVIDIA dominates due to NVENC.
    Dont get your hopes up, it's going to be shit. Would be amazing if it even does anything on launch.

- - - Updated - - -

Truly the rtx of its day... at least they’re working on improving rtx.
    Well I never really had any compaints about how it all looked (apart from DLSS 1.0 ofc). I can go as far as remember early WoW that looked amazing (compared to other MMOs at the time) due to some Nvidia stuff they used. The problem was always how widespread it was (and that's not going to change - proprietary APIs are going to be niche, although a lot of effects from GameWorks are pretty much industry standard atm) and the performance hits, which they need to work on.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yeah I guess given enough money I suppose someone will make something as a showpiece for Nvidia, but beyond that I don't see any future in RTX I/O.
    RTX I/O is just a marketing name for windows direct storage, just like RTX for windows DXR (and vulkans implementation). Its not a nvidia only thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    RTX I/O is just a marketing name for windows direct storage, just like RTX for windows DXR (and vulkans implementation). Its not a nvidia only thing.
    Sort of but not quite. RTX I/O definitely depends on the DirectStorage API, but is supposed to do some further things as well with offloading some decompression work to the GPU instead of the CPU.
    I just don't think that later part with the decompression work is gonna be all that useful given the increased core counts of modern CPU's as well as technologies like AMD's Smart Access Memory etc.
    Maybe if it was an open standard but like everything Nvidia does it's proprietary so it will only work with Nvidia RTX GPU's. What developer is gonna bother with that (unless given huge amounts of money by Nvidia) when you could just optimize for DirectStorage and get most of the benefits and it will work cross-platform instead of being locked to a small market?
    Last edited by Shakadam; 2020-11-04 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Sort of but not quite. RTX I/O definitely depends on the DirectStorage API, but is supposed to do some further things as well with offloading some decompression work to the GPU instead of the CPU.
    I just don't think that later part with the decompression work is gonna be all that useful given the increased core counts of modern CPU's as well as technologies like AMD's Smart Access Memory etc.
    Maybe if it was an open standard but like everything Nvidia does it's proprietary so it will only work with Nvidia RTX GPU's. What developer is gonna bother with that (unless given huge amounts of money by Nvidia) when you could just optimize for DirectStorage and get most of the benefits and it will work cross-platform instead of being locked to a small market?
    I was under the impression that devs dont have to do anything extra, and whatever extra features/improvements of rtx io will be done on driver level, like how nvidia raytracing works seeing how pascal without rtx silicon was able to run all rtx games overnight.
    Last edited by Yizu; 2020-11-04 at 11:50 PM.

AMD all the way.

It will be the first time in maaanyyy years that its finally worth buying CPU/GPU combo from the red team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    I was under the impression that devs dont have to do anything extra, and whatever extra features/improvements of rtx io will be done on driver level, like how nvidia raytracing works seeing how pascal without rtx silicon was able to run all rtx games overnight.
    No unfortunately RTX I/O features have to be coded for by game devs. Game devs will have to code for the Microsoft DirectStorage API as well, but RTX I/O is like extra on top of that.
    There's a bit more information about it here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ge-technology/

"RTX games" is a bit of a marketing term currently. "DXR games" or "Ray-tracing enabled games" would be a better description. The Nvidia RTX platform involves more than just ray tracing using Microsoft DXR, but practically that's pretty much all it's used for with a couple of exceptions (Quake RTX and Wolfenstein Youngblood use a Nvidia proprietary Vulcan API extension instead of Microsoft DXR, so those games won't have support for AMD ray-tracing atleast initially. This is mostly because the Khronos group responsible for the Vulcan API has been slow to implement a standard set of features for Vulcan ray tracing).

So just like how most ray-tracing games currently use Microsoft DXR (and not the entire wider feature set of Nvidia RTX), future games won't have much reason to use anything more than Microsoft DirectStorage since the wider feature set of RTX I/O won't work on consoles or AMD hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda related, but AMD's CPUs launched and sold out in minutes.
    Their GPUs probably will too in that case.

So if you have your eyes set on an AMD GPU, you better be quick on the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Yeah, bots also didn't help as many of the stores ignored AMD's instruction on bot prevention. But from what I can see the 5600X seems to still be in supply. So it's not all bad news I guess. The bad news sort of is that we got 10 5950Xs here. Although getting 2 bigger shipments in 2 weeks around the GPU launch.

I'm expecting the GPU launch be the same. But AIB models should make it easier to get one because they have their own allocation and scalpers probably only target the initial launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Totally expected. Companies dont control shit here.