Thread: Auras

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Auras

Auras in shadowlands are boring due to they are missing the original reason for being awesome.

Originally the fun part of auras was that they were a choice in strategy and it showed a large part on how good a paladin was where he or she did know when to use wich one to use like knowing when retribution aura would support the tanks aoe tanking and when the tank needs more survival thru either resistance auras or deviation auras.
    And the same went for soloing.

What created this was the amount of auras and different situations that they were good in.

In shadowlands we got 3 auras
    1 is for traveling that means we got 2 for combat.

These two are.
    Devotion aura=flat damage reduction to everything.
    Retribution aura=Gives a damage boost when people in the group die.

The problem with this is that you have 1 aura u will use 99% of the time and 1 that you will maybe switch to when people are dying.

This passive gameplay is alot more boring thereby i think it is a useless change to Shadowlands its almost better to not have it if it is this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Auras in shadowlands are boring due to they are missing the original reason for being awesome.

Originally the fun part of auras was that they were a choice in strategy and it showed a large part on how good a paladin was where he or she did know when to use wich one to use like knowing when retribution aura would support the tanks aoe tanking and when the tank needs more survival thru either resistance auras or deviation auras.

What created this was the amount of auras and different situations that they were good in.

These two are.

The problem with this is that you have 1 aura u will use 99% of the time and 1 that you will maybe switch to when people are dying.

This passive gameplay is alot more boring thereby i think it is a useless change to Shadowlands its almost better to not have it if it is this way.
    auras take skill, i've heard it all now
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

These two are.

Thats how auras has always worked. You pick the aura for whatever you are doing. Need fire res? *click fire res aura* Need frost res? *click frost aura*

Probably one of the reasons Blizzard just got rid of them. Its just a buff and nothing else.

Though personally, I liked them. Added flavour to the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    your comment is the opposite of his point.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Thats how auras has always worked. You pick the aura for whatever you are doing. Need fire res? *click fire res aura* Need frost res? *click frost aura*

Probably one of the reasons Blizzard just got rid of them. Its just a buff and nothing else.

No it hasn't good players know when to change them and what mobs requires what aura, maybe it is not critical but it is noticeable when you don't outgear the content.

They used to back in the day (or classic) depending on what you were doing.

I have mained paladin since the end of Wotlk and I totally agree with you, the Auras are pretty boring,

They should remake Retribution Aura atleast to the original (extra damage to your attacks and enemies who attacks you).

Devotion Aura should remain the same but maybe more dmg reduction against you and even more the lower your health gets.

Current Retri aura should still be there but renamed to "avenging aura" which makes more sense.

This means that a skillfulled paladin needs to switch Auras based on what happens during the fights

I play Paladin since end of Classic, and the ONLY time it actually made a difference to swap the Aura was when I was alone, and had to Heal me, or cast stuff for the conzentration Aura.
    Apart from that, devotion aura all the way as Tank.

And in Group Content you had most of the time a second Paladin for a Second or Third aura. And here again, switching the Aura for niche situations made no sense as you would loose 2 gcd.

I actually also dont recall ever seeing another Paladin switch their aura mid fight.

Edit: Btw
    If there were so many Applications, why dont you give us any exact examples?
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2020-08-24 at 01:17 PM.

No it hasn't good players know when to change them and what mobs requires what aura, maybe it is not critical but it is noticeable when you don't outgear the content.
    Well that can be said about pretty much anything in the game.

And I mean.. if you were fighting a boss that did fire damage, it was sort of a no brainer what aura to pick.

Now could they make auras more enjoyable? Sure. Like it was back in the day? Well maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    I play Paladin since end of Classic, and the ONLY time it actually made a difference to swap the Aura was when I was alone, and had to Heal me, or cast stuff for the conzentration Aura.
    Apart from that, devotion aura all the way as Tank.

And in Group Content you had most of the time a second Paladin for a Second or Third aura. And here again, switching the Aura for niche situations made no sense as you would loose 2 gcd.

I actually also dont recall ever seeing another Paladin switch their aura mid fight.

Edit: Btw
    If there were so many Applications, why dont you give us any exact examples?
    When you is taking a brust damage on arena you change the aura to your healer doesnt got interrupted to save you or your partner?

When both teams is finishing someone of and you need any aura to mitigate the damage like against a fire mage to protect your team from fire damage..

pve tank you almost dont change at all aura, but even to a ret pve or a paladin overall pvp changing auras was the difference between a good and a normal pally in pvp

Auras the way it is now in shadowlands is the same as our talent tree, half useless and the other half more or less good
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They used to back in the day (or classic) depending on what you were doing.
    "i'm fighting a boss that does shadow damage, let me swap to shadow aura before the fight" is as much thought as it took
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Those auras worked in a different world, designed differently and with many other problems.

That game is now playable in WoW classic. Why do we have to pander to nostalgia on the live game as well i will never get.

Auras were boring, i don't agree with what you are saying, aside from resistances, which were necessary for resistance based encounters, the auras have always been boring, hardly difference making, fire and forget skills. They should never have been returned, in my opinion... unless they actually did something like a party wide buff that lasts for some seconds and then goes on cooldown for a few minutes. That would be something that would deliver the kind of gameplay you seem to like.

"i'm fighting a boss that does shadow damage, let me swap to shadow aura before the fight" is as much thought as it took
    It depends, there were ways to make some auras better than others, and especially for soloing changing back and forth was a great way to mitigate damage. My Ret Tank in Classic for example does a lot of swapping between ret aura and the resistance auras and sometimes sanct for the extra aggro on pull with consecrate.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post

Blizzard turned away from the "bring the class" mentality which I couldn't disagree more with. So long as every class brings something valuable and unique to the table, we can keep the flavor while knowing we are providing that flavor to dungeon and raid runs. Original auras like the resist auras were neat IMO and was saddened when they gutted paladins along with most other class flavor for the sake of "balance".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Those auras worked in a different world, designed differently and with many other problems.

That game is now playable in WoW classic. Why do we have to pander to nostalgia on the live game as well i will never get.

Auras were boring, i don't agree with what you are saying, aside from resistances, which were necessary for resistance based encounters, the auras have always been boring, hardly difference making, fire and forget skills. They should never have been returned, in my opinion... unless they actually did something like a party wide buff that lasts for some seconds and then goes on cooldown for a few minutes. That would be something that would deliver the kind of gameplay you seem to like.
    Holy has it neat where the aura is a small effect until they jam the cooldown to make a raidwide difference. I don't see why every spec can have their own set of auras like that. A small area with small buffs tied to a CD.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Blizzard turned away from the "bring the class" mentality which I couldn't disagree more with. So long as every class brings something valuable and unique to the table, we can keep the flavor while knowing we are providing that flavor to dungeon and raid runs. Original auras like the resist auras were neat IMO and was saddened when they gutted paladins along with most other class flavor for the sake of "balance".

- - - Updated - - -

Holy has it neat where the aura is a small effect until they jam the cooldown to make a raidwide difference. I don't see why every spec can have their own set of auras like that. A small area with small buffs tied to a CD.
    Thb I think Blizzard caved into the pressure on achiving balance in the game. Enough people out there wanted the game to be perfectly balanced, and one of the best ways to pursue that is to gut most classes and make them have most spells and abilities.

Personally I dont believe the chase for perfect balance is what make a game good, but thats what people want nowadays it seems. I liked when classes brought unique stuff to dungeons/raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    *blinks*

Rewarding players for group member death is the dumbest gorram thing I have seen in forever. What are the devs smoking, and for how long have they been smoking it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    *blinks*

Rewarding players for group member death is the dumbest gorram thing I have seen in forever. What are the devs smoking, and for how long have they been smoking it?
    Imagine if they changed "damage boost when they die" into... I don't know... something that boosts your next ability's damage depending on how much 'damage' your buddies have taken? Fits the 'retribution name' part without having to rely on them dying.

Only problem would be to balance it between playing with few people vs a raid, but hey, that means even Holy could have fun and potentially stack it to it's cap (whatever that would be) and then do an offensive Holy Shock once in a while. And also leads to the little 'leader role' paladins tend to have so if you're in a bad group, you can make up for it. Sure, only a little more, but that's what paladins are for! Help those in need!

Auras in WC3 were cool because they were always under the Paladin unit. I don't care about the effect or gameplay of auras so much - best they got is Holy small Devo radius making you stay in melee - but man I really want to have that persistent visual aura under Paladins.
    Last edited by Razion; 2020-08-27 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglazz View Post
    I have mained paladin since the end of Wotlk and I totally agree with you, the Auras are pretty boring,

They should remake Retribution Aura atleast to the original (extra damage to your attacks and enemies who attacks you).

Devotion Aura should remain the same but maybe more dmg reduction against you and even more the lower your health gets.

Current Retri aura should still be there but renamed to "avenging aura" which makes more sense.

This means that a skillfulled paladin needs to switch Auras based on what happens during the fights
    do you know what Retribution means?

Yes, the return of "auaras" is really boring and uninspired.
    And having to macro Crusader aura with mount, what's even the point? Annoyance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Auras in WC3 were cool because they were always under the Paladin unit. I don't care about the effect or gameplay of auras so much - best they got is Holy small Devo radius making you stay in melee - but man I really want to have that persistent visual aura under Paladins.
    A permanent visual effect, would add some serious appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.