Frost 2H Animations

Are the animations in place on the PTR for 2H Frost final?

Aside from the new Obliterate animation, which is fantastic btw, the animation for Frost Strike and Empower Rune Weapon still is the same as with dual-wielding, which looks very awkward with a 2H.

Frost strike looks weak even with dw.. nothing new here.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

You would think iconic 2-handed weapon blows like Mortal Strike, Overpower, Obliterate and Templar's Verdict would have a big, haymaker, wind-up animation but they really don't look any different from autoattacks, which is a shame and really takes away from the feeling those attacks should bring.

I think the Frost Strike animation looks great with 2H and compliments the new Obliterate animation perfectly.
    Now, the ERW animation doesn't fit really well, but that's not a big deal to me.

Obliterate at least on the PTR is a mess of an animation. It's so laggy looking.

Hope it's crisper in the Beta and especially at launch.

It looks fine on beta, when you have the additional limb skill from necrolords though, your screen is going to be a giant mess of green and blue lol. The bigger issue with 2h frost at the moment is the procs. In a 2 min boss fight, you're getting maybe 10 procs. Which is just miserable. Swapping to DW you're getting 30 procs in that same time frame, and doing more DPS. They still have some tweaking/tuning to do.

Quote Originally Posted by habbjakken View Post
    Are the animations in place on the PTR for 2H Frost final?

Aside from the new Obliterate animation, which is fantastic btw, the animation for Frost Strike and Empower Rune Weapon still is the same as with dual-wielding, which looks very awkward with a 2H.
    LOL I play fully zoomed out I don't think I have seen or cared about a cast or strike animation ever, So as long as it does damage and I am not last on the meter I am happy.

Actually.. after trying it out again I have to say that it looks decent enough. I think frost scythe looks considerably worse for a talent.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    LOL I play fully zoomed out I don't think I have seen or cared about a cast or strike animation ever, So as long as it does damage and I am not last on the meter I am happy.
    Isn't that a... very soulless take and way to play this game in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    Isn't that a... very soulless take and way to play this game in general?
    Probably, but I have never been one to care about Graphics its more about gameplay to me. A game can look like Minecraft or some old 64bit game as long as the game play is good I could care less.

The Obliterate animation is great, but only for 2H. They should have kept the old one for DW.

The frost strike animation is fine.

I kinda wish they picked a less overdramatic animation for death strike considering it's one of the lowest damage abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obliterate should use the new animation that they gave to unholy strike. Feels like so much weight is on that swing, would fit perfectly to obliterate.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiraya View Post
    I kinda wish they picked a less overdramatic animation for death strike considering it's one of the lowest damage abilities.
    If I could pick I think death strike should be more of a stab animation or if it needs to be slash it should be shallow cut where red particles spray off the enemy and then get absorbed into the weapon before you go back to your idle animation for the next swing. In general animations in WoW aren't that great, only in recent years did they start to give up on weaksauce racial animations in favor of a few more class/ability centered ones but they still have a long way to go to make most stuff not look extremely generic.

stop looking at animation, start looking at whats actually happens on the screen

Now, I haven't had the chance to log in to PTR for the past couple weeks, but unless something has changed, I agree wholeheartedly. Below I'll try to explain my issues with these animations.

Current Situation:
    Currently on BfA, we have a special animation for Dual Wield Obliterate. This is great.
    All races (except Allied races I think) use their 1H Special Attack animation for Frost Strike. This means it differs between races, and most of them strike with only one of their weapons which look terrible. I always hated this. It looks really crappy for such an iconic ability and I thought Frost Strike deserved its own animation.

The Problem:
    Now in Shadowlands, 2H Frost is on the table, and we get a new Obliterate animation, which I think looks amazing... for 2H. The problem is, the BfA Obliterate animation is gone, and DW with the new Obliterate animation looks off.
    Moreover, the 2H Frost Strike still uses the 1H Special Attack animation, which is even worse than before.

Suggested Solutions:
    1. The Simple Solution: Change the 2H Frost Strike animation to at least use 2H Special Attack animations for races.
    2. The Perfect Solution: Use seperate animations for Obliterate. 2H uses the new animation, DW keeps using the BfA one. Put a new animation (shared across all races and weapons) for Frost Strike.
    3. Middle Ground: Use the BfA Obliterate animation for Frost Strike for both 2H/DW.

I know not everyone cares about these little details, but this actually matters a lot to me (and to many other people) and I hope it just doesn't go live the way it is right now.

I do hope that the 2h sword animation will look sick, cant stand bad animations and that might actually get me to go 1h instead.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    There's this new exciting game out right now, I think it's right up your alley.

It's called Microsoft Excel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Softbuns View Post
    stop looking at animation, start looking at whats actually happens on the screen
    Animation is literally what happens on screen.

Hi,

Warm Greetings & welcome, happy to have you here.

They've changed the Obliterate movement to what exactly is plainly intended to be a 2h weapon activity. It looks truly downright awful you're double employing. I might be in the minority yet I very much want to double use on my ice DKs. Essentially, when you're utilizing a 2h weapon, Frost Strike utilizes a 1h activity and furthermore doesn't look extraordinary.

I hope the above information helped you
    Please feel free to post if you have any further queries!

Regards,
    Mika Hawkins