Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Elune is probably a Wild God/Loa

This is a picture of her from the RPG.
    Now, the RPG sources are not canon, but bear with me for a moment.

We know her son is Cenarius - a half Stag, half Night elf Hybrid. Now, the Stag part of him comes from Malorne (the father), so the Night elf part of him must come from Elune (the mother). So, this pretty much grounds her appearance as a Night elf.
    For discussion sake, a Stag and a Naaru doesn't create a half Stag half Night elf hybrid. Neither does a Stag and a Voidlord or a Stag and a Titan.

Now, i know what you're probably gonna say: "But hey, what about the Centaur? They were produced by combining a Keeper of the Grove (Zaetar) and an Earth Elemental (Princess Theradras). According to that logic, they should have looked like a rocky Dryad or something". Well, you're right. That is the most expected outcome. The only explanation i can give is 1: Either they were affected by the Curse of Flesh (like the Earthen and the Tol'vir) or 2: Elemental traits are not passed-on through genes. One thing i can say for sure, they did get her ugliness .

People say Elune might be a Naaru, or a Lightlord (or that she created the Naaru). It was first proposed by Velen, who once visited Tyrande and told her of the similarities between Elune and the naaru. It's amplified by the fact that the Tears of Elune relic was able to unlock Xera's core and the discovery, made by Khadgar, that Elune may have created Xe'ra. The problem i have with this theory is that 1: The Light and the Naaru were formed eons before the moon of Azeroth did, and 2: Technically speaking, the moon doesn't produce light. It reflects it from the sun.

Another theory of Elune's identity is of Titan origin. The fact that Lunar spells inflict Arcane damage, the Tears of Elune being a Titan relic, or that Elunaria is home to the spirit of Eonar the Life-Binder, may suggest its plausibility. The issue i have with this theory, is that we haven't seen a Night elf-looking Titan, only Human-looking ones. We know some planets give birth to Titanic beings. The question is: would an astronomical body, like the moon (which is not considered a planet), do the same?

As for the theory of Elune being a Voidlord, i find it hard to believe as Elune is associated with feelings of tranquility and peace, rather than insanity and paranoia. Elune is said to be a source of light (even, though, not a natural one). Void magic might have star-light in its animation, but it's not actually associated with light. The duality of the moon (dark and light sides) have more in common with the Naaru, for example, going from light to dark (and vice-versa).

Let's get back to the theory of Elune being a Wild God/Loa. The Zandalari have a group of druids called Lun'alai. It is suggested that they worship Elune. Now, we know that from the Zandalari branched off several different tribes, like the Gurubashi and the Amani. It may very well be, that the Dark Trolls who branched off from the Zandalari, took the Elune worshipping with them to the Well of Eternity, and eventually became Night elves.

According to some new lore, Bwonsamdi was a priest of Mueh'zala before he was elevated to a state of Loa. Even Mueh'zala himself was probably a Troll elevated to a state of Loa by the Winter Queen, in old times. So, that means that Elune's appearance as a Night elf could be explained by the theory that Elune was once a Priestess of the moon, elevated to a state of Loa by the Winter Queen. If you look at the RPG picture of her, she does look like a Priestess of the Moon. in fact, she somewhat resembles Tyrande (especially her garment), whom is the most well-known imagery of a Priestess of the Moon.

Now, i know what you're probably thinking to yourselves: "How could the Trolls be worshipping Elune, if she only became a Loa when the Night Elves were formed?" Well... Death existed way before Mueh'zala and Bwonsamdi became Loas, so it is plausible that moon worshipping existed, but that the concept of Elune only came with the Night elves.

Why do i think Elune is a Loa, exactly? Because of the similarities of how they work. We know Loas are prayed to and bestow their powers unto their believers. The Zandalari racial depicts it the best: You pray to a Loa and gain their power. The way the Night warrior ritual, taken by Tyrande, resembles the powers granted to Rastakhan by Bwonsamdi, leads me to believe they are the same kind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mjyUxcjlI (the Night Warrior ritual)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yNigmPEG5qk (Rastakhan vs Zul cinematic)

In both of these cases, they are pleading their "god" to grant them their power. Tyrande even makes an offering (an Orc head) to Elune at a moonwell - just like how the racial "Embrace of the Loa" has your character make an offering to a Loa at their shrine.

The only thing i can't completely comprehend is how exactly Elune is the patron god of beings from other worlds, as we learn about in Ardenweald.
    It's either Elune is, exclusively, Azeroth's moon or, either, she is a universal moon goddess of all Planetary moons out there. We learn in the Shadowlands expansion that the Shadowlands is the Death realm of all living beings out there in the cosmos - not just Azeroth's. So, it is possible that through the Shadowlands, Elune became the patron god of other worlds. It is also implied that while Goldrinn is an Azerothian Wild God, he made contact with the Orcs on Draenor. If that is indeed the case, then why do we need 3 Eagle Loas (Akil'darah, Akil'zon and Ohn'ahra), 3 Death Loas (Bwonsamdi, Mueh'zala and Zanza), 3 Wind-Serpent Loas (Hakkar, Quetz'lun and Tharon'ja), 4 Serpent Loas (Dambala, Hethiss ,Sethraliss and Sseratus), 3 Tiger loas (Shirvallah, Kimbul and Xuen), 2 Panther Loas (Ashamane and Bethekk), and 2 black Bear Loas (Ursol and Nalorakk)?
    Last edited by username993720; 2020-09-10 at 11:55 PM.

Not sure if it could be possible, but I'm thinking if all wild Gods go to Ardenwald to recoop immediately, then is it possible that since Ysera went there at Tyrande's prayer the Arbiter IS Elune?

It would explain why the Arbiter is sleeping (because her power is currently in Tydrande) and no one in Shadowlands knows why and explains why they immediately go there once they die because the Arbiter/Elune is the one that sorts them?

Not up-to-date on any spoilers/lore that might float around why or if we even know why yet the Arbiter has been dormant. So take my post with a gain-o-salt please.

I currently slot her as something comparable to Eru Iluvatar in the Tolkien mythology. She seems to have similar traits. Sometimes Blizzard does a near perfect copy and paste from other sources, other times they create a character with several borrowed references. But the backstory we have of Elune appears to point in that direction. (both favor elves to a great degree, both rarely intervene in the mortal world, both seem to have powers far beyond anything else, the name even seems similar, the enemy of both are banished to a "void")
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

3+ Year Old Account
    Rastakhan didn't sacrifice anything/anyone? He was just yelling for Bwonsamdi to empower him and boom
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

elune is way more powerful than that, shes on the light plane because she created the naaru
    probably not a first one because i think the first ones transcend the cosmic planes
    or maybe elune is is both light and void with a light/darkside

I think she's one of the First Ones, or someone on their level. Wild God/Loa is way too low of a rank for her.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Fun theory, but 100% wrong.

Elune has already been stated to be on the same power level as Jailer or higher ( who knows ) is what Ion stated.

Jailer is Titan ++, meaning, MUCH MUCH Stronger than any wild god or loa. So no, this is 100% false.

I'm thinking she's more the Light equivalent of whatever a Void Lord is.

Elune's Tear is what allowed us to unlocked a Prime Naaru's core in Legion, which insinuated a connection with the Naaru possibly a creator role.
    Elune spirited Ysera directly to the afterlife during Legion as well.

I agree with the others that say it is possible Elune is the Arbiter, and has been absent from the Shadowlands for one reason or another; meddling in our afairs for a few millenia or locked out. Alternatively Elune could just be another type of being we haven't met yet, but there is connections in lore between Elune, the Naaru and the Emerald Dream/Wild Gods of Azeroth.

I have totally been thinking Elune is the UNIVERSE... as in a void god that turned to light for some reason. As far as I recall, this is how lore says the universe started. I also recall finding some book about it somewhere where it is suggested that they are just waiting for their kin return back to the void eventually.

So I'm saying that Elune is a void god. Just on the light side. Everything is part of elune.

Elune seems different from titans. Stronger.
    When Tyrande took in the darker side of elune, that should be void stuff, but not the same kind that the rest its from Elune.
    Elune is depicted as sort of moonlight thing often. As in light in the darkness.
    etc.
    edit: also that naaru connection that other post mentioned. Just what is able to create creatures of pure light, Naaru? That periodically switch from light to darkness and from darkness to light?

She better be something more powerful/unique.

PS: Khadgar and his Naaru theory can fuck off.

She's probably the counter to a Void God.

I hope she's a Void Lord who has been deceiving the Night Elves for 10,000 years. Real ugly with multiple tentacles, dozens of eyes, and a big maw with sharp rows of teeth.

If she is then she is the strongest loa

A night warrior fought an old god

It's inaccurate to say that she must look like a Night Elf, because Night Elves are transformed Trolls, which were offshoots of the Zandalari Trolls. That's why they have the exact same ears as Dark, Jungle, and Sand Trolls.

They likely designed the keepers/dryads the way they did so long ago when they had a completely different plan for Elune. Her development has changed a lot since then. Also, the RPG isn't canon at all, and those designs are very old.

It should also be noted that Loa can be anything. The term "Loa" and "Wild God" are not entirely interchangeable. Trolls use that term interchangeably with "great spirit" in lore. That's why they've called sha, G'huun, elevated trolls, beings in the Shadowlands, wisps, and Wild Gods Loa. Bwonsamdi isn't the same type of being as the Wild Gods, same with Mueh'zala. And, the Lun'alai seem to already worship Elune as a Loa anyway. So, yes, Elune is a "Loa" but anything can be.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    elune is way more powerful than that, shes on the light plane because she created the naaru
    probably not a first one because i think the first ones transcend the cosmic planes
    or maybe elune is is both light and void with a light/darkside
    Kaifu hinted that Elune was a wayward soul from the perspective of the Void Lords. Which suggests the Void Lords are aware of her and probably respect her power level.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Everything on this page shows how clueless we are about Elune yet. They may have foreshadowed something that will be clear when we learn more but anything is a wild guess right now.

I think Elune is something of a mega figure in the Light Life and Order categories considering her connection to all 3

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    We know her son is Cenarius - a half Stag, half Night elf Hybrid. Now, the Stag part of him comes from Malorne (the father), so the Night elf part of him must come from Elune (the mother). So, this pretty much grounds her appearance as a Night elf.
    Uhm, it's nothing but a Tauren myth. Do you really believe that Elune had actual intercourse with a stag and gave birth to a mutant the traditional way?

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    The problem i have with this theory is that 1: The Light and the Naaru were formed eons before the moon of Azeroth did, and 2: Technically speaking, the moon doesn't produce light. It reflects it from the sun.
    Elune is not the moon itself. She might've come to Azeroth at any point in its early history and made its lifeless moon a physical manifestation of her power (or even created it from scratch). This would address both of your problems.

I personally believe that Elune is one of the precious few uncovered mysteries left in the Warcraft universe and even Blizzard are not sure what to do with her as of yet. She's not fleshed out and won't be for some time, though I think it's safe to say that she does not belong to any creature type known to us at this point.
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2020-09-11 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Elune has already been stated to be on the same power level as Jailer or higher ( who knows ) is what Ion stated.
    Not that I'm saying this is unreasonable, but where was this stated? I remember the Titan++ quote.