[WH40K] Necromunda - Underhive Wars

Didn't see a thread about this so i decided to make one. From the studio that brought you one of the most unforgiving games of all times, Mordheim, City of the Damned, comes another 3rd Person tactics game, that will release on september the 8th. Anyone else looking forward to this? Just hope they'll make it a little more accessible for people who suck like me.

Its interesting that it looks closer to a Valkyria Chronicles than a xcom clone like Mechanicus was. Taking that 3rd person controls but with multi level verticality could be good, or it could be turbojank like Mordheim was a few years back.

Played the tabletop version a shitload 20 years ago. While this will probably be a "better" game than a faithful rendering of it as a video game would have been, can't help but be disappointed it isn't just that.

Also, no House Van Saar (I think that was the name, it's been a while)? Shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Played the tabletop version a shitload 20 years ago. While this will probably be a "better" game than a faithful rendering of it as a video game would have been, can't help but be disappointed it isn't just that.

Also, no House Van Saar (I think that was the name, it's been a while)? Shame.
    This is 'NuCromuna' and its still playing catchup in the new rebooted setting/art style. Still no Scavvies and the like in the new version.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to it as it has co-op but won’t be playing at release as our Co-op back long is to long.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    This is 'NuCromuna' and its still playing catchup in the new rebooted setting/art style. Still no Scavvies and the like in the new version.
    Van Saar have been out for ages and I'm pretty sure the Corpse Grinders and Ogryn Slaves are supposed to take the place of Scavvies.

The Warhammer universe is so awesome, but it's rare a game using the licence doesn't suck massively, hoping this will be good.

Looks pretty awesome.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Looking forward to it as it has co-op but won’t be playing at release as our Co-op back long is to long.
    Any coop-tips? Just recently completed Darksiders Genesis with a friend and could use some good coop games. Don't care that mmuch about genres, maybe no FPS.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Any coop-tips? Just recently completed Darksiders Genesis with a friend and could use some good coop games. Don't care that mmuch about genres, maybe no FPS.
    at the moment were going this monster hunter wolrd icebourn but to keep to the warhammer theme we were playing battle fleet Gothic which was really fun other then some performance issues.

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I'm a fan of Mordheim: City of the Damned so as long as it's an improvement on that game I'll be pleased.

This is the first game for me that requires Windows 10 though, so I'm bummed that I have to upgrade from 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bumping the thread. The game has been released. Happens to be on sale at Steam this week.

Has anyone played it and feel like they can recommend it to others?

I'm a huge XCom simp, and wondering if this game offers a similar fix.

The box art features some sexy vixens with guns. On a scale of dwarf to witch elf, does the game deliver on sex appeal?
    Asking for a friend, who is a bit of a slaaneshichan.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Bumping the thread. The game has been released. Happens to be on sale at Steam this week.

Has anyone played it and feel like they can recommend it to others?

I'm a huge XCom simp, and wondering if this game offers a similar fix.

The box art features some sexy vixens with guns. On a scale of dwarf to witch elf, does the game deliver on sex appeal?
    Asking for a friend, who is a bit of a slaaneshichan.
    I was disappointed with it. As a whole I think the game is actually weaker than its predecessor, Mordheim.

Like Mordheim it is a gridless, 3D turn based strategy game, which I love. The over the shoulder camera immerses you in the action in a way that top down cameras from most strategy games cannot do.

There is a lot that just doesn't work with Necromunda and since I haven't played tabletop I'm not sure if the original game is to blame, or the changes made for the video game or the bad marriage between the two.

Good:
    Initiative system
    Icons for abilities
    3D environments
    Classes

Bad:
    Very dumb AI

Each single player mission mission has a chance to have 2-4 gangs fight for objectives. Since AI is dumb the more gangs there are the BETTER it is for you, just hang back and let them kill each other and then pick them off and loot. This 4 player free for all would only ever have a chance to be fun against human players, to make single player matches focus on this with such stupid AI is to take all challenge out of any match where you face more than 1 gang.

Campaign is just a long tutorial separate from the actual main game. In Mordheim, the campaign was a challenge you could attempt when your warband was ready, a goal or end game content for you to work toward. There is nothing similar in Necromunda to work toward. You can increase the difficulty up to deadly, but that basically just buffs the stats for your enemies.

You can only field 5 gangers on a mission. This doesn't seem like a big deal at first but when a ganger gets one shot quite easily it means your fighting strength is weakened considerably more than if you had 9 gangers and lost one.

Very little unit diversity. I was prepared for this one but I had hoped for some big bad neutral monsters like the demons in Mordheim. Necromunda has some loading screens teasing possible monsters like carnivorous plants and crocodiles but these didn't make it in the game.

Not much sexiness to be found here. There are a lot of youtube videos of people playing the game if you want to get a better idea of how it plays. It is not a terrible game but I found it to be inferior to Mordheim. Wait for a price drop.

I was super interested in this but keep hearing mixed things. I am a fan of the setting and gameplay style though. Maybe I need to hang back for a couple of patches.