Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why won't survival hunter get any changes?

It seems to late for any changes now and not a single change other than minor tuning. Doesn't seem justifiable other than the argument that no one will play it eitherway because we made it melee.

Not a single talent changed from BFA, even tho there are too many unusable talents such as Flanking strike, chakrams etc..

Because no one plays them compared to other specs in the game, even if tuning make it fotm hunter spec.
    They already wasted resources on 2 melee reworks and still participation is in shambles.
    With such early release date for SL i wouldn't be suprised with them being content about current state of the spec and focus on more pressing matters.

That would be kind of disrespectful towards those who loved survival pre-melee and gave it a chance after.

Going from 3 good specs to 2 good and 1 mistake.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought I read they were still getting worked
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

I dont think SV will get massive changes; blizzard remains convinced that keeping it melee is the best course of action.
    I personally will take ranged SV over melee any day of the week, but it's very unlikely that will happen before 10.0, if at all.

As a melee spec it's not horrible, but it could use some changes.

The ones I would love to see are:
    - Mongoose Bite baseline
    - Wildfire Infusion baseline
    - Serpent Sting scaling properly with haste; so it doesn't get reduced with high haste. On live with corruption gear my serpent sting lasts like 4 seconds with haste buffs.
    - Base 1 sec GCD like most melee specs, SV just feels bad with 1.5 sec as it's pretty much a GCD locked melee spec.
    - 5% parry chance back as melee that all other melee specs have as well.

Other than that the talents need some looking at, but the first two changes in my list above would fix 90% of the issues.

Plus side is that blizzard does not seem done with changing specs, so maybe some SV changes are still in the pipeline.

I love melee SV, and would like it to go back to the way it was in Legion.
    Mongoose bite as mentioned above should be a default skill. And see a return of Fury of the Eagle in some way. Think the spec was the most fun to play back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelantious View Post
    I love melee SV, and would like it to go back to the way it was in Legion.
    Mongoose bite as mentioned above should be a default skill. And see a return of Fury of the Eagle in some way. Think the spec was the most fun to play back then.
    I too am a melee SV fan but I would like to see some minor changes to the spec (and no I don't want to bring back ranged SV unless we brought it back as a 4th spec and blizz would reasonably balance all 4 specs..).

As for why blizzard hasn't done anything with SV aside from bringing back old ranged abilities and buffing the talent choices that no one picks (chakrams, tip of the spear etc...), I honestly don't know. I would have to assume that in blizzard's eyes "SV is in a good spot". Yeah its not October but I really doubt that SV will get anything substantial before launch. So if you enjoyed SV in BFA then you will probably enjoy it in SL as well and if you did not enjoy SV in BFA then that probably won't change come SL.

Off the top of my head what I would have liked to see/still see done to survival are:

1) Increase duration of serpent sting so it does not drop off so fast

2) Mongoose bite made baseline and the 3 talents in the mongoose bite talent row changed to somehow interact with our baseline mongoose bite. Assuming mongoose bite baseline is "to hard" or if blizz has a hard-on for Tip of the Spear, then could we at least change the mongoose bite window to 18 or 20 second baseline. Hitting a 5 stack Mongoose bite is satisfying, I just wish we had more time to enjoy it.

3) Alpha Predator baseline, it smoothes out the rotation so much that I hate having to pick anything else, it should be baseline.

4) Latent posion and the addtional cluster bombs from wildfire bomb made baseline but they are coming back as legendary so I guess that is okay.

5) Perhaps Fury of the Eagle or lacerate back. Why is it SV only has 2 core melee abilities-not counting auto attack

6) Remove the CD from carve. Why is it multishot has no CD, as long as you have the focus you can cast multhishot but carve has a CD and a focus cost?

10+ Year Old Account
    I like melee Survival myself. Mongoose bite definitely needs to be baseline like others have said. Flanking Strike should also be baseline to replace kill command. Fury of the Eagle as a talent choice would be nice.

I'm holding out for the true brave choice that would make survival less hated by the unbelievers and that is to remake it into a tank spec where you swap aggro back and forth with your pet. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    I like melee Survival myself. Mongoose bite definitely needs to be baseline like others have said. Flanking Strike should also be baseline to replace kill command. Fury of the Eagle as a talent choice would be nice.

I'm holding out for the true brave choice that would make survival less hated by the unbelievers and that is to remake it into a tank spec where you swap aggro back and forth with your pet. :P
    I'd say either replace kill command with Flanking strike or change the animation of Kill command for SV hunters. Honestly even as a BM the animation for kill command looks a bit funny but whatever. But for SV, you are in melee range, right in hug range, the animation just looks incredibly silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    I dont think SV will get massive changes; blizzard remains convinced that keeping it melee is the best course of action.
    I personally will take ranged SV over melee any day of the week, but it's very unlikely that will happen before 10.0, if at all.

As a melee spec it's not horrible, but it could use some changes.

The ones I would love to see are:
    - Mongoose Bite baseline
    - Wildfire Infusion baseline
    - Serpent Sting scaling properly with haste; so it doesn't get reduced with high haste. On live with corruption gear my serpent sting lasts like 4 seconds with haste buffs.
    - Base 1 sec GCD like most melee specs, SV just feels bad with 1.5 sec as it's pretty much a GCD locked melee spec.
    - 5% parry chance back as melee that all other melee specs have as well.

Other than that the talents need some looking at, but the first two changes in my list above would fix 90% of the issues.

Plus side is that blizzard does not seem done with changing specs, so maybe some SV changes are still in the pipeline.
    wait what?surv hunter is the only melee with the worse gcd?AND has no parry passive?wtf why is this the case?how does it make sense?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmang View Post

It seems to late for any changes now and not a single change other than minor tuning. Doesn't seem justifiable other than the argument that no one will play it eitherway because we made it melee.

Not a single talent changed from BFA, even tho there are too many unusable talents such as Flanking strike, chakrams etc..
    Ultimately because it will take at least one more expansion before Blizz will admit that they made a mistake. Seriously, it takes 3 expansions before Blizz admits to mistakes (e.g. human racial) that they actually try to correct. Of course, they won't actually admit to the mistake, but make changes for whatever made-up reason seems best to fit at the time (e.g. pathfinder achievements).

10+ Year Old Account
    SV hunters are pretty fun from a gameplay perspective, and their damage isn't even bad. The issue is that they have a ranged option that brings all the same utility, so there's absolutely no reason to fill a melee spot, which is already hyper-competitive, with an SV hunter. The only change Blizz could make for them to be meta is to mega overbuff them.

I enjoy BFA survival much more than Legion (when I hated it) but I would never, ever, actually play my hunter in melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard really needs to change it back to being Ranged. Unless SV is significantly more powerful in raids, it will never get played even if the spec itself is decently fun.

Personally I just mentally frame the class as only having two specs. Survival is never even considered. They created a perfectly fine melee spec that very few people will ever play because it's on the hunter class.

They should change ability names around and make it a second DH DPS spec. Not even joking.

Melee survival isn't a mistake though. It's a great spec which is a lot of fun, I don't get the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellixen View Post
    Melee survival isn't a mistake though. It's a great spec which is a lot of fun, I don't get the hate.
    People hate it because they liked ranged survival and there is nothing survival brings that swapping to ranged and also providing wouldnt be the superior option.

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    SV hunters are pretty fun from a gameplay perspective, and their damage isn't even bad. The issue is that they have a ranged option that brings all the same utility, so there's absolutely no reason to fill a melee spot, which is already hyper-competitive, with an SV hunter. The only change Blizz could make for them to be meta is to mega overbuff them.
    This is true, I think that Blizzard made a decision to put a tanking spec into one of the most popular classes but because they already had the demon hunter coming out they decided to make it dps at first. I'm sure they had big ideas about fixing the tank shortage but now they are probably wondering where there next job could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmang View Post
    Why won't survival hunter get any changes?.
    Because melee hunter is a meme that no one asked for, no one seriously wanted, and is to this day an affliction on the class and the game.

The last thing the game needed was ANOTHER melee DPS spec. And of all the possible specs to choose(such as creating a pet-based mail-wearing tank that would have actually served a purpose, or Dark Ranger, or any of the other community suggestions) they went with the meme spec.

The sooner Survival dies and gets replaced, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Personally I just mentally frame the class as only having two specs. Survival is never even considered. They created a perfectly fine melee spec that very few people will ever play because it's on the hunter class.

They should change ability names around and make it a second DH DPS spec. Not even joking.
    this is a problem with the way your brain processes new things not a problem with the spec/class