Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Which monk iteration was the best?

For me i'd say MoP, they got brewmaster really right there, hard to master tank but with a lot of options, good mobility and some hilarious things that could be done like solo tanking heroic malkorok without trinket. It was a blast to play too, and it had some use in battlegrounds if i remember right.
    Never played healer, that is mistweaver, but i heard it was engaging to play, and really good in pvp with CC, mobility and such. Apparently good in raids with fistweaving whatever that is.
    I remember being on the receiving end of the bugger tiger on timeless isle. Again, mobility, cc and other fun things, but i never really played windwalker either, i mostly played some brewmaster when it came to monk.

3+ Year Old Account
    I have played monk and all specs since the start. It’s my main.

The one thing I do miss is MoP windwalker. It did what the lore said it did. Kick the ass of melee users.

Miss all the melee counters it used to have.

Cata's, hands down easily.

I really liked Legion
    Especially with all of the Artifact Traits/Strike of the Windlord
    The only thing I didnt like was the energy regeneration speed, but I feel like thats still a current issue with ww monks. (I feel like it should be 25ish% faster)

Mistweaver had the best playstyle during MoP, with Chi as a resource and Mana Tea to replenish mana. The Renewing Mist raid blanketing and synergy with Uplift was much more interesting and satisfying than what we have now. Even Jab Jab Uplift was fun as hell but it didn't last long. WoD was great performance-wise (6.2) but the expansion was the beginning of Blizzard ruining the spec. Fistweaving was separated into its own stance and we were the only healer, and still are the only healer, with a 1.5 sec GCD. It's made the spec clunky and you can feel the difference when you switch to WW.

The Legion rework for MW was both unnecessary and an absolute failure to many. They even backtracked a lot on the choices of Legion by making Vivify a pseudo-Uplift and reverting Soothing Mist back to a channeled spell that makes our single target spot heals instant. Our spells all stand on their own with almost no synergy. It's a braindead healer and is pretty much ez mode for M+ and arenas.

Windwalker was a blast for me personally in Legion. Strike of the Windlord hit like a truck and felt great to use. I also loved ToS with the super spammy gameplay that revolved around the Serenity talent. The removal of Jab really annoyed me since Monks should use both their fists AND their weapon. Now our weapons just sit on our back unused, even though in character creation the description for Monks says they use BOTH weapon and fists, and we don't. I know the spec is usually in the gutter performance-wise and we've had one patch-long highpoint with Antorus in 7.3.

I've never really gotten into BRM but I know it's not as interesting as it used to be. Blackout Strike is such an awful ability and it feels so out of place with the spec. Dizzying Haze and Guard were really iconic to BRM.

I liked when the Monk was revealed they initially had Light and Dark chi. I thought balancing the two was a fun concept and I'm kind of sad never became a staple for the class.

Everything prior to Legion was pretty amazing. I feel like they don't really know where they're going with the class these days. Mobility wise it gets outdone by demon hunters and its gameplay suffers from a lack of variety when compared to WoD/MoP. Also new Storm, Earth & Fire sucks ass and was invented by the literal devil.

I liked the old Tigereye Brew mechanic because it was pretty unique for a melee and it synergized well with the high mobility the class had. Old chi burst and chi torpedo made for fun combos that actually made WW feel like a character in a fighting game. Also having most of your burst damage on FoF and Rising Sun Kick was way more interesting than anything we have now. Whirling Dragon Punch and Strike of the Windlord just felt like worse versions of Rising Sun Kick.
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-06-12 at 07:57 PM.

Legion was pretty great. Had a blast. Now... eh, no.

MW at the end of WoD that bug with the tier that let renewing mist put out an instant heal, so cool.

I liked the original iteration of the class in MoP. I quickly mained a brewmaster. I haven’t liked any version of the spec since.

MoP post 5.1, I'd switch back to Monk in a heartbeat if they returned to that state (Windwalker).
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie081 View Post
    Mistweaver had the best playstyle during MoP, with Chi as a resource and Mana Tea to replenish mana. The Renewing Mist raid blanketing and synergy with Uplift was much more interesting and satisfying than what we have now. Even Jab Jab Uplift was fun as hell but it didn't last long. WoD was great performance-wise (6.2) but the expansion was the beginning of Blizzard ruining the spec. Fistweaving was separated into its own stance and we were the only healer, and still are the only healer, with a 1.5 sec GCD. It's made the spec clunky and you can feel the difference when you switch to WW.

The Legion rework for MW was both unnecessary and an absolute failure to many. They even backtracked a lot on the choices of Legion by making Vivify a pseudo-Uplift and reverting Soothing Mist back to a channeled spell that makes our single target spot heals instant. Our spells all stand on their own with almost no synergy. It's a braindead healer and is pretty much ez mode for M+ and arenas.

Windwalker was a blast for me personally in Legion. Strike of the Windlord hit like a truck and felt great to use. I also loved ToS with the super spammy gameplay that revolved around the Serenity talent. The removal of Jab really annoyed me since Monks should use both their fists AND their weapon. Now our weapons just sit on our back unused, even though in character creation the description for Monks says they use BOTH weapon and fists, and we don't. I know the spec is usually in the gutter performance-wise and we've had one patch-long highpoint with Antorus in 7.3.

I've never really gotten into BRM but I know it's not as interesting as it used to be. Blackout Strike is such an awful ability and it feels so out of place with the spec. Dizzying Haze and Guard were really iconic to BRM.
    Umm. All healers have a 1.5 second baseline GCD.
    GCDs are either 1 second for Rogues and Feral Druids, and 1.5 seconds for most everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

MoP, for every spec of every class. MoP
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    GCDs are either 1 second for Rogues and Feral Druids, and 1.5 seconds for most everyone else.
    It's 1 second for WW and BrM monk and 1.5 for MW monk. Really annoying when you are used to WW and then switch over to heal and want to use the same dps abilities but your fingers move too fast for the healer GCD...

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    My bad. It's a lot more noticeable on MW because haste is one of the worst stats outside of M+. I've rerolled to my hpally and holy shit is it spammy with the Glimmer build.

Legion WW and brew, Mop for mistweaver.

Rushing Jade Wind spec for pvp at the end of MoP or WoD was a lot of fun, probably because it was OP as hell. I also enjoyed when WW would spec chi torpedo and jump chi torpedo for the dmg without the movement. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    For me i'd say MoP, they got brewmaster really right there, hard to master tank but with a lot of options, good mobility and some hilarious things that could be done like solo tanking heroic malkorok without trinket. It was a blast to play too, and it had some use in battlegrounds if i remember right.
    Never played healer, that is mistweaver, but i heard it was engaging to play, and really good in pvp with CC, mobility and such. Apparently good in raids with fistweaving whatever that is.
    I remember being on the receiving end of the bugger tiger on timeless isle. Again, mobility, cc and other fun things, but i never really played windwalker either, i mostly played some brewmaster when it came to monk.
    I am glad they are bringing Guard back in brew form.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Windwalker in MoP, I really loved the spec back then.
    After MoP I feel like they really destroyed the spec and it's been one of the specs I've liked the least ever since then. Tried it in WoD, Legion and now in BfA but it never clicked with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of