Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    I'm not sure who you're arguing with. Popular = good. That's what I said. The more popular something is the better it is. Same logic goes for unpopular things. If you're unpopular you're bad. Old town road was literally the best song in 2019. It's science.
    Oh, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    How.... can anyone think those superhero movies are good? Mass produced crap is what it is
    Apparently millions of people think they're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The last phase basically opened the doors for the MCU to get involved in the Cosmic and Multiversal side of things which is where shit really gets crazy.
    That's probably a very bad thing for the MCU because the reason MCU has been so successful is that the movies are grounded in character-driven stories, often where the stakes are low and relatable. Once you go to galaxy-spanning problems with strange creatures average people cannot relate to, people will start to tune out. You can a Groot once and get away with it. They kinda got away with it again with Korg in Thor: Ragnarok. But its basically the same character of "Strange alien becoming a caricature of itself to try to relate to the audience". You just can't keep doing it over and over.
    Last edited by Die; 2020-09-04 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    You lost me there. Omega Red is like my favorite X-Men villain and I've been waiting to see him on the big screen since at least 2003 when X2 came out. FOX never used him. MCU finally will, and I look forward to it. They have a pretty good track record. I can't make you excited for things. I'm just saying, you don't know what's coming and what might end up blowing you away and getting you invested again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you're not excited about Rogue putting Brie Larson's Captain Marvel in a coma, something's wrong with you!
    Yeah Omega Red was dope af. I highly doubt he'll be in Shang Chi movie though as the 4chan "leak" says.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    That's probably a very bad thing for the MCU because the reason MCU has been so successful is that the movies are grounded in character-driven stories, often where the stakes are low and relatable. Once you go to galaxy-spanning problems with strange creatures average people cannot relate to, people will start to tune out.
    No, they'll tune in even more imho considering that's where we'll to see even more heroes and villains that fans have been eagerly awaiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrajishxc View Post
    Yeah Omega Red was dope af. I highly doubt he'll be in Shang Chi movie though as the 4chan "leak" says.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they'll tune in even more imho considering that's where we'll to see even more heroes and villains that fans have been eagerly awaiting.
    I think they've used all of the popular characters at this point. The remaining ones are vague. That's another problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's probably a very bad thing for the MCU because the reason MCU has been so successful is that the movies are grounded in character-driven stories, often where the stakes are low and relatable. Once you go to galaxy-spanning problems with strange creatures average people cannot relate to, people will start to tune out. You can a Groot once and get away with it. They kinda got away with it again with Korg in Thor: Ragnarok. But its basically the same character of "Strange alien becoming a caricature of itself to try to relate to the audience". You just can't keep doing it over and over.

Execution matters and aliens aren't super complicated.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they've used all of the popular characters at this point. The remaining ones are vague. That's another problem.
    That isn't really a problem because obscure characters were made popular via the movies. How many people outside of comic fans knew about characters like Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, War Machine, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Ant Man, or Doctor Strange prior to their MCU introductions?

Many of the characters weren't popular prior to their appearance in the MCU, I don't doubt they have a pool they can still pull from for additional characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Loving Umbrella Academy on Netflix. I know its not "new" and I haven't read the comics.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

TV and Movie wise nothing new has really grabbed me yet. I’m debating reading the Witcher books and if I like them I’ll try the Netflix series.

Books, I recently read The first two books of the Stormlight archive and enjoyed those, will read the 3rd one soon, 4th book comes out in November.

Video games while not multi title IP’s I’ve played a ton of No Man’s Sky and Sea of Thieves.

They've already introduced the multiverse and alternate realities with Dr. Strange and End Game, Thor went full-mythic in Ragnarok which ended with with a huge fire demon throwing down with the goddess of death, Guardians of the Galaxy had a man who was also a living planet, Black Panther introduced a super-tech sci-fi civilisation and it looks like we're getting full-on Celestials in Eternals (which could open the door for Galactus and other Cosmic Abstracts.) It's possible (in fact a hallmark of Marvel) to have those sorts of craziness going on while still keeping it character focused and relatable.

If you're looking for a replacement for Star Wars or Star Trek in movies or television, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Read books. There are tons of great space opera in fiction to read.

As for my favorite new IPs:

• Thunderbolt Fantasy (High production value Xianxia (Chinese fantasy) puppet show. Easy to get into, has an English translation, is available to stream on Crunchyroll and VRV. Season 3 is coming soon!)
    • Tokyo Xanadu (JRPG made by Nihon Falcom. Borrows the Trails of Cold Steel formula and is about the feeling of community; it is set in a city where you get to really know each and every character, feel like you're a part of the community. Love the cast. The plot was rather weak but the characters made the game. Amazing music by Unisuga and Sonoda.
    • My Hero Academia is a good manga.
    • Aldnoah.Zero season 1 was very good. Season 2 was decent. I'd like to see more AZ, but sadly it looks like the IP has been canned.
    • Final Fantasy XIV was rebooted by a new creative team and had an overarching storyline begin in 2013, that is set to conclude in 2021's expansion. I'm anticipating the end of the story.
    • Trails of Cold Steel's fifth and final game just released this year. Five games within 7 years, whoa. I'm of the opinion that the games peaked with ToCS2, but the sequels are still really good and absolutely worth playing. I await the Calvard arc with great trepidation, as those games will no longer be turn based.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Oh, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently millions of people think they're good.
    Popularity is a poor metric as to whether something is good, not just because such things are subjective, but there are too many factors.

Box office gates aren’t the best indicators for everything either. You can hit great box office hits with a famous IP and a large ad campaign, with an average at best movie that’s just formulaic. It’s not bad but it isn’t great. People go watch it because the IP is famous and it carries it on, and they may pay for it but not like it that much or enjoy it.

If your next 4 movies equally suck you start a reverse trend and eventually people won’t bat an eyelid when new stuff comes out because they know when you make it’s crap and won’t give it a chance. Unless it turns out actually being good and then may draw people in.

Not everything that is a box office hit these days is so because it is good. Popularity doesn’t always equal good.

And it gets even more dodgy when people think popular = right. It so does not, cos people can be fooled and the deception can propagate easily especially when people believe something is good or right because many other people think so.

Can't really think of any (maybe Westworld but that's not exactly 'new'). Though I can think of plenty older IPs that have been ruined over the least years.

Agreed here. Many of the new heroes mean little to nothing. Doesn’t mean their movie can’t be good. But they tend to feel like weaker rehashes with forced in social politics.

Tbh. I would rather a Thor 5 than The Roach or the Sandman movie.

But then Infonity wars was only possible after a large network of movies of individual heroes. But those heroes were popular ones and unlike DCs Justice League, they had already had movies for most of the individual heroes in their current incarnation. So audiences were very familiar With the characters off blockbuster hits so it was like an all cast super cast of heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    They've already introduced the multiverse and alternate realities with Dr. Strange and End Game, Thor went full-mythic in Ragnarok which ended with with a huge fire demon throwing down with the goddess of death, Guardians of the Galaxy had a man who was also a living planet, Black Panther introduced a super-tech sci-fi civilisation and it looks like we're getting full-on Celestials in Eternals (which could open the door for Galactus and other Cosmic Abstracts.) It's possible (in fact a hallmark of Marvel) to have those sorts of craziness going on while still keeping it character focused and relatable.
    That doesn't argue against what I said at all. Its going to be harder with strange and weird space aliens going forward. Dr. Strange is not a point in your favor because that was grounded in modern relatable settings for the most part and got only strange at the end.

Even as a fan of the MCU I would also put myself among the people who feel the flame has lost strength and has faded out a bit. That's not to say the movies have gone completely bad, it's more when you have the same meal for so long you are bound to get less excited by it. I will definitely check out what comes out, but I'm not counting the days for any of the upcoming releases.

As for new IPs I guess John Wick is a more recent original franchise that I have enjoyed but even in that case we're not talking masterpiece level movies, but just solid entertainment and I still blur the films together in my head a bit. But I think overall the best films being made are those that don't spawn franchises. It just seems to be a huge ball and chain to carry around your ankle - knowing you are not making just one movie, but there needs to be the potential for more. I feel like with older classics, they stand up as individual films regardless if you watch the sequels or not. I feel now they are making films more and more connected which ultimately hurts them.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    That isn't really a problem because obscure characters were made popular via the movies. How many people outside of comic fans knew about characters like Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, War Machine, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Ant Man, or Doctor Strange prior to their MCU introductions?

Many of the characters weren't popular prior to their appearance in the MCU, I don't doubt they have a pool they can still pull from for additional characters.
    There is also a point it becomes too many, and over saturation, at least for the main public. But then, they'd wanna keep milking this till it's dry, more movies, more billions, more often.