Poll: Pardon Julian Assange, Pardon Edward Snowden?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    That's...exactly what Mihalik is saying. A normal trial without special rules.
    The Espionage Act is Federal Law, he knowingly broke it, gets put on trial for it.

The only "special" part here is for people trying to argue that Snowden should be treated differently.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The Espionage Act is Federal Law, he knowingly broke it, gets put on trial for it.

The only "special" part here is for people trying to argue that Snowden should be treated differently.
    The Espionage Act is wildly overused. Especially against whistleblowers. Furthermore just because an unjust and unconstitutional law exists it doesn't mean you have to subject yourself to it.

The notion that you do is deeply fascistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Similar to the above, the bold is what Russian getting out of this...
    While I agree that is certainly part of it...it's a little naive to assume that's ALL Russia is getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both played into the hands of Russia, China and other shitheads of that sort.

Snowden's situation isn't perfect but his life is fine.

Assange was basically held in confinement for many years on bullshit charges that were eventually dropped and now is being held in even worse environment in prison, where he seems to be visibly deteriorating.

Thus it's Assange no contest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This really. Man just wants a fair trial. As for going to Russia, where else could he go?
    If US didn't strand him in Russia he would just fly to Latin America as he planned.

Where he would likely be considerably easier to get.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Both played into the hands of Russia, China and other shitheads of that sort.
    No crimes should be exposed because that will play into hands of enemies of those exposed! /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    While I agree that is certainly part of it...it's a little naive to assume that's ALL Russia is getting.
    Why? It undercuts every single US narrative about Russia, without spending a single dime or need to justify aggression. There is literally no safer place for Snowden to be, than in Russia... because how much he means to Russian rhetoric about US.

Speak of the devil, here is an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    No crimes should be exposed because that will play into hands of enemies of those exposed! /s
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Why? It undercuts every single US narrative about Russia, without spending a single dime or need to justify aggression. There is literally no safer place for Snowden to be, than in Russia... because how much he means to Russian rhetoric about US.

Speak of the devil, here is an example:
    Like I said, that's certainly part of it...but i still think it's naive to think Russia hasn't squeezed him for everything he has of value.

I'd pardon Assange simply because they've already put him through enough and as the poster I quoted below noted a pardon is not an absolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Now Julian Assange is a more complicated character. Some of the work he has done and is being persecuted for was legitimate journalism. But he has also done a lot to further the political objectives of various malicious foreign powers.
    Color me impressed, a reasonable stance on Assange for once. A welcome break from the usual guillotine enthusiasts.

There is literally no safer place for Snowden to be, than in Russia
    Until he stops being a useful pawn and drinks a cup of tea laced with polonium or some such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Until he stops being a useful pawn and drinks a cup of tea laced with polonium or some such.
    How does he stop being useful?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

How does he stop being useful?
    How should I know? Ask Putin, he seems to have a pretty good idea of when someone stops being useful. It's not like he's ever been in a rush to assassinate people, and on foreign soil at that. There's one in particular who fled Russia six years before getting assassinated, and published two books that were very inconvenient for Putin for years prior to the assassination. Does that ring any bell?
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    How should I know? Ask Putin, he seems to have a pretty good idea of when someone stops being useful. It's not like he's ever been in a rush to assassinate people, and on foreign soil at that. There's one in particular who fled Russia six years before getting assassinated, and published two books that were very inconvenient for Putin for years prior to the assassination. Does that ring any bell?
    That’s why I’m pointing out the only actual use he has. Him being harmed in any way, would counter the only thing he represents for Putin.

I'd pardon Assange simply because they've already put him through enough and as the poster I quoted below noted a pardon is not an absolution.

Color me impressed, a reasonable stance on Assange for once. A welcome break from the usual guillotine enthusiasts.

Put him through enough? The bastard released stolen property that was stolen by Russia, he is lucky that he got to some embassy before he got his ass kicked out.

That’s why I’m pointing out the only actual use he has. Him being harmed in any way, would counter the only thing he represents for Putin.
    When it comes to Putin, I don't dare making assumptions that might seem reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Put him through enough? The bastard released stolen property that was stolen by Russia, he is lucky that he got to some embassy before he got his ass kicked out.
    Yeah yeah, whistleblowers are inherently evil because they reveal inconvenient truths and they deserve to live confined in a room for years at best and waterboarded at worst, I've heard that before. Let's start rounding up investigative journalists as well, shall we?

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to Putin, I don't dare making assumptions that might seem reasonable to me.
    Not assumptions, but imagination. I cannot imagine any other benefit for Putin or Russia. If someone has an alternative, I’m ready to read it and state my opinion.

Yeah yeah, whistleblowers are inherently evil because they reveal inconvenient truths and they deserve to live confined in a room for years at best and waterboarded at worst, I've heard that before. Let's start rounding up investigative journalists as well, shall we?
    Assange isn't a whistleblower though. He doesn't work for the US government, and he didn't really reveal anything all that damning.

Not assumptions, but imagination. I cannot imagine any other benefit for Putin or Russia. If someone has an alternative, I’m ready to read it and state my opinion.
    Imagination? About Putin, or whoever might succeed him? I'm afraid I lack that kind of imagination, try someone else. All I can imagine is me not being surprised at the Kremlin sending "thoughts and prayers" at a poisoned Snowden.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Assange isn't a whistleblower though. He doesn't work for the US government, and he didn't really reveal anything all that damning.
    An investigative journalist then. But more importantly, I'm deeply intrigued by your definition of damning. Plenty of pretty damning stuff here.

Imagination? About Putin, or whoever might succeed him? I'm afraid I lack that kind of imagination, try someone else. All I can imagine is me not being surprised at the Kremlin sending "thoughts and prayers" at a poisoned Snowden.

An investigative journalist then. But more importantly, I'm deeply intrigued by your definition of damning. Plenty of pretty damning stuff here.
    He isn't an investigative journalist, as he isn't a journalist at all.

And again, the emails he released from Hillary and Podesta, had literally NOTHING in them.

I imagine it's possible that Snowden had access to more classified information than just the stuff he released publicly. Information that Russia might have found very valuable at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither should be pardoned, but I fully support both getting a short drop and a sudden stop.

pardons should not exist. everyone should be equal to the law, no exceptions, no special treatment. if there's a reason somebody deserves lenience then it should be decided at trial and not by somebody trying to score political points

and nobody should ever be subject to bullshit like the espionage act. everyone, no matter who they are or what their crime is, has the right to offer a defence before their accusers in court