10+ Year Old Account

General nutrition tips? Trying to gain weight but training for performance first

Hello guys,

Last month I decided I want to gain weight because multiple trainers told me I am rather light and it would benefit me greatly if I gained at least 5kg of muscle mass. I train in Muay Thai and they told me I would gain strength without losing my speed and agility.

I used to train Muay Thai 2-3 times and 1 strength session a week, now I basically reversed it. I do 2-3 strength and conditioning sessions and 1 Muay Thai lesson a week to keep my skills sharp. However the trick will be to keep the weight once I resume training fighting more.

I have a really fast metabolism and I struggled with gaining weight my whole life, I can basically eat anything and I still won't gain a weight. No matter if I ate a lot of food or I basically starved at work whole day, my weight stays the same.

I am 165 cm tall and currently I weight 55,7kg (it used to be 54,5kg before I started lifting more). Right now my plan is to reach 60kg and 65kg later if it all goes smoothly and I desire to keep that.

- - - - -

With that little bit of introduction, I have basically no idea what to eat - I try to keep it relatively clean, but it is hard to do when I work. I can't obviously pick a salmon or whatever there, also my mind is fucked as when I work I tend to forget to eat and even drink water. Right now I eat 3 times a day as I don't usually feel the hunger, I always struggled with that.

That's why I decided to completely change my diet and I also plan on learning to cook well.

Now I don't want to go super hardcore into it, no idea if it is realistic, but my vision is to completely prepare my food for myself all the time - even at work as the lunch there sucks pretty hard. I have no problem with discipline but I want my lunch to remain a food I prepare not only for the nutrition aspects but still keep it clean and yet fresh so it doesn't get boring because I want to cook different stuff as a hobby. I am completely fine keeping my breaktfast, dinner and snacks "boring".

Any tips what should I eat in the morning and dinner? What and how many times a day should I snack?

Also I have my supplements sorted out, so let's keep that out of it. Thanks in advance!

make sure you get enough protein. its a building block for muscle, and you want roughly 2 grams of protein per kilo of weight. (so for you its about 112 grams per day. more is good since you are trying to build MORE muscle, but that's what you should aim for to start with at least)

you can't pick a salmon because? if you are vegan, your options are - tofu, tempeh, seitan (you can cook your own with vital gluten), protein powders - rice protein IMO taste better, pea protein isolate works better in baking, etc. there are also lentil or soy pastas that are pretty high protein. yes, just various legumes on their own also contain quite a bit of protein, BUT... you mentioned having appetite issues (which I can relate to) and beans have a ton of fiber which is very VERY filling, so you may end up full and still not getting enough protein.

the only thing I can suggest as far as making sure you eat enough - schedule it and then set alarms as reminders. how many times a day you eat or snack is up to you. whatever makes getting enough food, especially protein - manageable, is what you go with. me I eat 4 times a day (3 meals and a snack), but a different number may work better for you. its a very individual thing.

just try to get a decent balance of protein, fat and carbs with each of your meals, but specific foods don't really matter as long as you get enough at the end of the day. all of your meals can be pretty fun, just because you are keeping macros in mind, doesn't mean your food has to be boring. and if you want to have curry for breakfast for example - then who can stop you other then yourself?

Protein and carbs, thats the magic combo that will help you get bigger. Also training at least 3 times per week is ideal!