Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Can IO ratings be trusted if people are able to buy runs skewing its accuracy.

    I have never really had a problem with IO raider as it sorta replaced the other measuring sticks that have fallen out of favor since I level addon in WOTLK. What does bother me is how some people go by it as the golden standard of identifying how progressed people are in either raids or mythic dungeons. Had a high rating PVP warrior with a very high IO rating as well join our piddly +12 dungeon. Let us just say his performance was the lowest of the group and out of the blue he admitted he was not use to his newly boosted alt that got carried by his friends.

    He claimed that his character was just not properly set up with his keyboard/mouse layout afterward when no one was even accusing him outside of a few whispers of confusion. We still managed the key but considering his constant dying and my anecdotal evidence it would leave one to believe that this constant pushing of pay for gear that RMT and legit boosters are heavily skewing the numbers. It's not very well talked about and another issue I am starting to see no one brings up are guilds also paying for people to be boosted. Maybe IO Raider no longer has a place in wow unless Blizzard somehow allows us to track with who is grouped with these people who are being boosted to see where the actual experience of content lies. If they start allowing us to track with the people who group with boosted people it could give other players a complete picture and maybe give us tools to combat who is circumventing gameplay mechanics for pay to win scenario's and expecting other groups to automatically accept them based on false information?

  2. #2
    everyone is buying boosts these days

  3. #3
    I mean I think it's just not that big of an issue. For every one guy who boosted their io score there are hundreds who didn't. Odds of you finding the guy who boosted is really slim.

    And if it still bothers you use the website instead of the addon, should be really really easy to see who got boosted based on the number of runs timed as well as easily checking to see if he did every dungeon with the same group of people. If he ran with only one group of players check one of them, and if the people he played with have the same number of runs and io score as him then odds are good he's legit. If they have 6k io scores and hundreds of runs timed then they're boosters.

  4. #4
    It's not perfect, but it's best we've got right now.

  5. #5
    it couldnt be trusted even if there were no boost services, it only says if you completed dungeon in time not if you were actualy helpful or just burden to the rest of the group

  6. #6
    Blizzard is earning money from all this boosting so I doubt they would take measures that render it obsolete.
    WoW forums in a nutshell:
    m8 i've been around since Feb 2005, I know it all.
    So I was using a gold dupe hack. I don't know why i was banned for this. It is so unfair.
    People need an incentive to play content. "Its fun!" is simply not enough.

  7. #7
    I've never met a boosted player in a mythic+ pug key.
    Your anecdotal experience is as valuable as mine.

    And do we another veiled anti-raider-io-thread?
    Bad players should just accept to get better, run their own keys or accept their shortcomings.
    Making these threads won't change a bit. Good players are finally free from the chains of scrub players and won't carry you any more.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    I've never met a boosted player in a mythic+ pug key.
    Your anecdotal experience is as valuable as mine.

    And do we another veiled anti-raider-io-thread?
    Bad players should just accept to get better, run their own keys or accept their shortcomings.
    Making these threads won't change a bit. Good players are finally free from the chains of scrub players and won't carry you any more.
    Is there a reason for such an aggressive tone? Boosting exists, most raiding guilds atm boost so they can buy the Dino mount before prepatch.
    Last edited by Motorman; 2020-09-05 at 01:16 PM.
    WoW forums in a nutshell:
    m8 i've been around since Feb 2005, I know it all.
    So I was using a gold dupe hack. I don't know why i was banned for this. It is so unfair.
    People need an incentive to play content. "Its fun!" is simply not enough.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiljaedon View Post
    I have never really had a problem with IO raider as it sorta replaced the other measuring sticks that have fallen out of favor since I level addon in WOTLK. What does bother me is how some people go by it as the golden standard of identifying how progressed people are in either raids or mythic dungeons. Had a high rating PVP warrior with a very high IO rating as well join our piddly +12 dungeon. Let us just say his performance was the lowest of the group and out of the blue he admitted he was not use to his newly boosted alt that got carried by his friends.

    He claimed that his character was just not properly set up with his keyboard/mouse layout afterward when no one was even accusing him outside of a few whispers of confusion. We still managed the key but considering his constant dying and my anecdotal evidence it would leave one to believe that this constant pushing of pay for gear that RMT and legit boosters are heavily skewing the numbers. It's not very well talked about and another issue I am starting to see no one brings up are guilds also paying for people to be boosted. Maybe IO Raider no longer has a place in wow unless Blizzard somehow allows us to track with who is grouped with these people who are being boosted to see where the actual experience of content lies. If they start allowing us to track with the people who group with boosted people it could give other players a complete picture and maybe give us tools to combat who is circumventing gameplay mechanics for pay to win scenario's and expecting other groups to automatically accept them based on false information?
    Look at "number of completed dungeons". Someone who got boosted will most likely not have 100 completed dungeon in the 15-20 bracket.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Look at "number of completed dungeons". Someone who got boosted will most likely not have 100 completed dungeon in the 15-20 bracket.
    100% this.

    Also, a boost costs ~100K. Many could afford a boost. How many could afford (or be willing to spend) ~1million to buy enough boosts to increase your score to the point it mattered to get in higher keys. What would you score be with 1 or 2 timed 15s?

    and like @Kaver said nobody is going to have a large number of timed runs if they bought them all.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    100% this.

    Also, a boost costs ~100K. Many could afford a boost. How many could afford (or be willing to spend) ~1million to buy enough boosts to increase your score to the point it mattered to get in higher keys. What would you score be with 1 or 2 timed 15s?

    and like @Kaver said nobody is going to have a large number of timed runs if they bought them all.
    It's funny, because I only occasionally do a 15 or higher run when some guildmates want to do one. I've done maybe 15-20 total on my main. Yet you wouldn't catch me dead paying anyone for something inanely stupid and pointless like that ("omg, play duh game 4 meeeeee!!!").

    Maybe your brilliant detective skills aren't as brilliant as you think they are.

  12. #12
    You can also actually edit the files if you smart enough and code in so you can create any score you wish, shit is terrible man

  13. #13
    Of course they can't be trusted 100%, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, a 3k player has more genuine experiene than a 2k player, just as a 5k player has more than a 4k player, etc.

  14. #14
    The add-on also lets you see how many dungeons people have run. It's not just about score. Someone with all timed +20s is less valuable than someone who has like fifty of those dungeons completed on time.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Thzz View Post
    100% this.

    Also, a boost costs ~100K. Many could afford a boost. How many could afford (or be willing to spend) ~1million to buy enough boosts to increase your score to the point it mattered to get in higher keys. What would you score be with 1 or 2 timed 15s?

    and like @Kaver said nobody is going to have a large number of timed runs if they bought them all.
    It's a numbers game right. Sure, there is a chance of running into that Billionaire kid who has been boosted 100 times, but the chance of the happening is extremely small.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
    You can also actually edit the files if you smart enough and code in so you can create any score you wish, shit is terrible man
    No, you can't, it's server sided. It's pulling data from Blizzard's servers and aggregating it in a nice and easy to see way. What you edit in your local files will have no effect on your tooltip that other people see, let alone what is displayed on the website. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    It's funny, because I only occasionally do a 15 or higher run when some guildmates want to do one. I've done maybe 15-20 total on my main. Yet you wouldn't catch me dead paying anyone for something inanely stupid and pointless like that ("omg, play duh game 4 meeeeee!!!").

    Maybe your brilliant detective skills aren't as brilliant as you think they are.
    sic brag bro. but I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, unless you are assuming the entire wow community views the game exactly like you then your post makes no sense.

    and yes we are talking exactly about people paying for carries and yes that was the simple math behind it. not much detective work required


    if someone got carried with a reg group (like you) then why the hell would they then start pugging and instead just keep playing with that group.
    Last edited by Thzz; 2020-09-05 at 04:48 PM.

  18. #18
    Joining Rio groups VS non Rio groups success rating tilts slightly in favor of Rio.

    So many people doing Rio groups that takes forever to put together and then start the key with no planning whatsoever because "they know what to do due to Rio" and fail after a pull or two. Just because people reached the same Rio with different tactics.

    That's the biggest downside to Rio for me. People substitute it with just three lines of communication...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    No, you can't, it's server sided. It's pulling data from Blizzard's servers and aggregating it in a nice and easy to see way. What you edit in your local files will have no effect on your tooltip that other people see, let alone what is displayed on the website. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about.
    I mean you are right in saying that he can only change it for himself on his local machine, but you are wrong about the data being server side

  20. #20
    Are we really sure that most people buying +15 boosts actually go and try to get into pugs later? I wouldn't think so.

    In all of BfA I think I've met one player who demonstrably bought boosts. On my trash hunter doing +9s just for fun one tank had a lot of runs up to +9 and every week a +15. He was happy tanking low keys with his boosted gear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •