Poll: Rate the movie: Mulan [2020]

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Mulan [2020]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's the part I don't get (well one of them). They removed Mushu and the ghost ancestors to be more realistic and serious, 'kay, wouldn't be my choice given that this is a Disney film and not a documentary but fine. Yet on the flipside they introduce all this magical kung fu fighting bullshit that looks about as realistic as an overchoreographed prequel lightsaber duel, so in end the result is a world that is both more boring and less believable than the original. One look at the trailer told me I wouldn't like this, and everyone I know who did regretted it alongside the rather demanding price tag.
    That seems to sum up Disney's live-action outings in a nutshell.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Odd. Comments by those who have seen the movie are all positive. But there is a huge backlash against the lead for her political views.
    I've seen nothing but western viewers tearing this movie a proverbial new poop chute. Like, Disney REALLY made people hate it by doing to Mulan what they did to Star Wars and Rey. Made her into a Mary Sue, while in the animated movie she actually had character development and wasn't some master warrior right out of the gate. It's like they didn't learn their fucking lesson while they tried to pander to viewers in China who are turning around saying it's hot garbage too. The only people who would praise this movie are the same people who think that Rey was a well written character, aka stupid people. Because both epitomize this whole feminist empowerment movement in films lately. Mulan is human just like everyone else, no one is born perfect or exceptional at everything, and what makes both her in this iteration along with Rey bad characters is their lack of growth through adversity and a gross lack in having the traits that make a character into something believable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    They removed the dragon, and they removed the song "be a man".

This was confirmed a while back so i figured i probobly wouldnt see it unless it got some really good ratings.

and by the looks of it, the ratings are record low so mulan 2020 is a bullet i dodged
    It's Disney, run by a bunch of idiotic wokesters who keep bitching that their films are bombing but don't have the self awareness to realize that it's their own stupidity and attempts to shove their sociopolitical propaganda down people's throats. Much like Ghost Busters 2016, Birds of Prey and Sequel Star Wars, these movies just reek of a half ass effort to make a film that appeals to everyone and instead keep reaching for the social justice warrior/internet feminist angle and wondering why their main markets (aka rational people and men) aren't watching their garbage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive not watched the movie, and nobody should pay to watch this and support the internment camps.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/08/disn...n-credits.html

Edit: Ohboy, spicy
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN2611FP
    Last edited by Frolk; 2020-09-10 at 10:10 PM. Reason: More spicy info
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mulan opened on Friday in China, and proceeded to bomb, as expected. Now Disney CEO Bob Iger is being grilled by US lawmakers over the acknowledgement and recognition of CCP propaganda companies as well as the Uyghyr Internment Zone security forces in the movies credits. It's just been one dumpster fire after another with Disney over the last calendar year.

7+ Year Old Account
    The visual quality of the movie seemed okay but everything else was mediocre and boring. I enjoyed the animated movies as a kid so I still like watching the remakes even though it's very hard to capture the original magic.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-14 at 03:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only Disney could take an already well-done story of female empowerment and turn it into yet another bland conveyor belt mary-sue story. Don't worry ladies, nothing is beyond your reach, as long as you are awesome at everything and have a little magic in your pocket.

The kids love the Cartoon, and have watched it and the 2nd many times the first attempt at this one everyone but my Wife fell asleep in all of 20mins. The 2nd time the Kids went outside and played while we watched it and all I can say is Meh, It was OK. No Mushu made me kind of write it off immediately.

I haven't watched it but I have heard other people said that the main character is not good enough to the movie. In my view, I think people have been affected by infamous opinions of the main character before the movie released so their view will not objective. Any other ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Mulan opened on Friday in China, and proceeded to bomb, as expected. Now Disney CEO Bob Iger is being grilled by US lawmakers over the acknowledgement and recognition of CCP propaganda companies as well as the Uyghyr Internment Zone security forces in the movies credits. It's just been one dumpster fire after another with Disney over the last calendar year.
    Is it any surprise? They've supported Racist China for years...bout time they get some shit for it

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Disney, in their attempt to chase China money, managed to alienate both Western AND Chinese audience.

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/sta...52476465590272

This thread is just perfect.
    Thank you so much for that.

I mean wow. I knew more about asian culture and chi from watching Avatar: The Last Airbender at 12 years old than Disney, apparently.

(the notion of having power that you train to hone over being bestowed unstable power that you keep hidden, in particular. Who's idea was it to make Mulan Elsa?)

Well that and this incarnation of Journey to The West, which I also highly recommend.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-10-01 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen it, but I basically have seen it because of all the YouTube video essays I've watched about it. None of them were positive. Seems like they were trying for a more gritty realistic movie, but then decided to simultaneously introduce MAGIC (in this case chi) to the world of Mulan. So stupid. I'm convinced that Disney has forgotten how to make a good movie. It's almost like they think if they throw enough money at something (in this case 200 million) it'll just turn out good, without having any sort of passion behind it.

7+ Year Old Account
    I never liked that much the Cartoon, but something i liked is how she became a good warrior/passed the obstacles by being clever and not by brute strenght like the others tried to, that was a good message, so i dislike this star wars stuff, is even worse how they made ki/chi being something exclusive to warriors/boys and she is the special one.

Those live-actions remakes are being awful lately lol, i hate the Lion king too

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I basically have seen it because of all the YouTube video essays I've watched about it. None of them were positive. Seems like they were trying for a more gritty realistic movie, but then decided to simultaneously introduce MAGIC (in this case chi) to the world of Mulan. So stupid. I'm convinced that Disney has forgotten how to make a good movie. It's almost like they think if they throw enough money at something (in this case 200 million) it'll just turn out good, without having any sort of passion behind it.
    They hey make her a Jedi, Like Rey