Poll: Should Dr Who and Red Dwarf Get a U.S Reboot?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Should Dr Who and Red Dwarf Get a U.S Reboot?
    Doctor Who DID get a US reboot in the 90's, the fact nobody remembers is because it was that bad lol.

They did a standalone film in 1996 set in the USA with a new doctor that was supposed to lead to a US TV series, the film did so badly the series never happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    But then there are also some other shows that do well with an 'american reboot', to put it in such a way. It could be for a myriad of reasons, maybe the original's subject matter was decidedly 'too british' for an American audience.
    Shameless would be a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I thought you guys had access to the newer series of both?
    used to be able to watch it on netflix, but they lost the rights, HBO got it and are apparently only putting it on HBO max.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Doctor Who DID get a US reboot in the 90's, the fact nobody remembers is because it was that bad lol.

They did a standalone film in 1996 set in the USA with a new doctor that was supposed to lead to a US TV series, the film did so badly the series never happened.
    the fact it was almost 30 years ago is also a valid reason no one remembers.
    Last edited by zhero; 2020-09-06 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Idk about Red Dwarf but Doctor Who should just end. It's been such a downfall since the 11th's departure that I wish the show ended then.
    Didn't mind 12 horribly, but I agree. Current Dr. Who just isn't for me. Jodie Whitaker is just a miss for me. I've been told I'm misogynist for feeling that way (which as a woman is hilarious to hear) but it's just not my bucket of tea and crumpets.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

The negative stigma of Americanizing a TV show is to add guns, sex and violence. This was mocked a few times in Doctor Who, such as when 7 exited the TARDIS in San Francisco and was IMMEDIATELY shot multiple times in the chest, or when 11 visited the White House and a bunch of security guys IMMEDIATELY pulled out a bunch of guns and aimed them at him and his companions. Any serious attempt would probably be met with more of the same.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Doctors sonic screwdriver would be turned into a sonic shotgun in a US based version.

Nah. Part of their charm is the British-ness of the shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Doctor Who - NEVER. EVER. AT ALL.

Us British just make some tv shows better than Americans and Doctor Who is one of them.
    How can you know unless they try?

I don't understand the people that say never ever...

I say let them try, at the worst we get a shit reboot that has no impact on the original; at best we get something just as good, or even better than the original... there is no loss here for us, as consumers/fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Should Dr Who and Red Dwarf Get a U.S Reboot?

I’ll admit British shows coming to the U.S are hit or miss. But these are the two shows I’ve always heard so much about but never got a chance to get into. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Dr Who series I could watch from the start.

Who do you think should be cast for either?
    They need to fix the pile of steaming poo that Doctor Who has become in UK before they worry about ANY outside projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    How can you know unless they try?
    I don't understand the people that say never ever...
    they tried often enough and the Dr. Who try failed, hard!
    the office is the ONLY one that worked as US Version everything else where just terrible clones

Dr Who is unwatchable to me. I don't see the appeal at all, it's horribly cringy but to each their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    they tried often enough and the Dr. Who try failed, hard!
    the office is the ONLY one that worked as US Version everything else where just terrible clones
    I mean how many years has it been since they tried with Dr. Who? I'd say they should get a pass every 10-15 years or so to re-try.