Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, let's just forget about the impact covid-19 had on the world, and the huge delays (and complete stops) that were a direct consequence of the pandemic.
    Erm... moot point. Developing a game can be done from home, that is what they're doing. Most worked from home anyway. They said it probably only set them back 1 week in many interviews. The only issue they would have faced is bad internet connection for webchat meetings.
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Wrong. Mists of Pandaria lasted 26 months, as well.

However, MoP's last patch (5.4: Siege of Orgrimmar) lasted fourteen months: from September 14, 2013 to November 13, 2014. Whereas BfA's last patch (8.3: Visions of N'Zoth) will last only ten months. And on top of that, MoP's last patch only gave us Proving Grounds and Timeless Isle as "repeatable content" and even then those didn't have much to do. Visions of N'Zoth gave us two "new" quest zones that changed every week, and Horrific Visions. On top of that, BfA has the benefit of Mythic+ dungeons.

All of that put together makes BfA not feel anywhere near as "long" as MoP did, really.

Don't you remember how bad the "MoP content drought" was, back then, while we waited for the next expansion?
    MoP Clocks in at slightly under 26 months, closer to 25. BfA will exceed 26 months by about 10 days. So BfA is the longest lasting expansion

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    At 26 months by the time Shadowlands is out. Given how long this expansion has dragged on for, does it give you hope for Shadowlands? They have had by far the most time to work on an expansion, and given it has now been a few years since the dev team has increased dramatically, should we expect an impeccable expansion for Shadowlands?
    Remember tho, Corona has slowed things down a good couple of months or more.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    OP is a trifle misleading:

Vanilla : 26 months
    Burning Crusade : 22 months
    Wrath of the Lich King : 25 months
    Cataclysm : 22 months
    Mists of Pandaria : 26 months
    Warlords of Draenor : 26 months
    Legion : 24 months
    BfA : 26 months
    Gonna go off the top of my head, no sources:

Vanilla - BC: Nov 4th, 2004 to Jan 15th, 2007 - a tad over 26 months.
    BC to WotLK: Jan 16 2007 to Nov 12 2008 - 22 months
    WotLK to Cata: Nov 13th 2008 to Dec 6th 2010 - a week shy of 25 months
    Cata to MoP: Dec 7 2010 to Sep 24th 2012 - almost 25 months
    MoP to WoD: Sep 25 2012 to Nov 12 2014 - around 23-24 months
    WoD to Legion: Nov 13 2014 to Aug 29 2016 - about 21.5 months
    Legion to BfA: Aug 30 2016 to Aug 13 2018 - 2 weeks shy of 24 months
    BfA to SL: Aug 14 2018 to Oct 25 2020 - 26 months and 11 days.
    SL to ???: Oct 26 2020 to Dec 2022 (that's what the pattern suggests)

The dates are based on the day the expansion launched to the day before the next one goes live.
    Last edited by Tyrannosaur; 2020-09-07 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    People will dip their toes into Shadowlands and then immediately bounce the moment it feels bad. It won't be like BFA where people were "so conflicted and heart broken over the game they love", any sentiments have been long forgotten. It's nut up or shut up time for Blizzard and everyone can kind of sense it.

For example, lets say I get in and I'm trying out Frost DK. If I don't feel good and see numbers and damage and I'm not having fun, that's it, I'm done. I'm not gonna try and do the raid and stick anything out other than casual gameplay, there won't be a point. It's on to the next class or game, whichever makes more sense.
    Exactly right, the unquestioning loyalty of the players from 10 years ago is long gone along with most of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Exactly right, the unquestioning loyalty of the players from 10 years ago is long gone along with most of the players.
    Not entirely true. I have been playing WoW since 2006 and don't really have any plans to stop. Even if SL is bad, it can't be any worse than WoD. I took the most break ever in WoD, but still played it for the majority of the time it was current. I will play SL even if it turns out to be complete trash. Maybe I am no longer the typical WoW player.

WoW is just the game I play. I see it as spending money on something i enjoy most of the time, instead of buying a few games at full price, and getting nowhere near the same enjoyment out of them.

I am tentatively excited about this expansion, but mostly because it breaks new ground in terms of lore, and will force them to give more than a few answers to questions that have been left unanswered for too long now.
    Plus i do think they'll be forced to iterate further on their class design in this expansion despite not wanting to, and the direction it has been going on is not too bad from what i can see so far (gonna have to knock on wood for that one though, it seemed like they couldn't do much wrong following Legion but boy was i wrong...)

15+ Year Old Account
    What I said was absolutely true... assuming you read what I wrote, which these days is a long shot anyway.
    Did you read your data? Shadowlands launch follows a 9 month post content drought. TBC and Wotlk followed a 7 and 7.5. 7 is shorter than 9. Shadowlands does not follow one of the shortest droughts. Using your argument BFA and MoP both have one of the shortest droughts as well.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    A better metric to measure would be the time between the last content patch and the pre-patch IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormykitten View Post
    I think it will be an improvement over BfA, despite the covid impact on workflow etc. They basically seemed to sacrifice the BfA patch cycle to an extent as well presumably to work harder on Shadowlands - my guess as to why all effort was put on 8.2 for time efficiency and the 8.1 and 8.3 patches were very light on new assets etc, with the x.5 patches reusing locales for story progression. I think they realized pretty early that BfA would not turn around fully and partly wrote it off to move on. Again, my guess.

Anyway, in theory they should have had a long development time for this, and I think in some respects they have done way more than they have done lately in terms of classes etc. But as for the launch product it's hard to say. In my opinion so much work was put into covenant powers that classes desperately need even beyond the attention they got during beta.
    I've spent a solid amount of time on alpha/beta and I already like it better than BFA. Has a much more interesting setting and there's none of the beyond-overplayed faction war bullshit, aside from a few snipe-y comments between a couple of faction leaders at the start.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    all hope for shadowlands went up in smoke with its release date, class revamp is a joke, still world of systems quecraft with borrowed powers on top of borrowed powers. Shadowlands will be another round of Beta for Azeroth its needs months of work and testing.
    oh you're one of those guys who think "if they just gave themselves more time it will be good" lmao, you've got shadowlands pre ordered and you'll be playing it day one

also people that love america are not poorly educated

WoW Prime:
    • Vanilla - Benchmark
    • The Burning Crusade - Good
    • Wrath of the Lich King - Good

WoW:
    • Cataclysm - Meh
    • Mists of Pandaria - Good
    • Warlords of Draenor - Meh
    • Legion - Good
    • Battle for Azeroth - Meh
    • Shadowlands - Good?

Even if Shadowlands had a longer development cycle, following the historical trends I suspect it will be a good expansion.
    Last edited by Robula; 2020-09-07 at 02:21 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormykitten View Post
    I think it will be an improvement over BfA, despite the covid impact on workflow etc. They basically seemed to sacrifice the BfA patch cycle to an extent as well presumably to work harder on Shadowlands - my guess as to why all effort was put on 8.2 for time efficiency and the 8.1 and 8.3 patches were very light on new assets etc, with the x.5 patches reusing locales for story progression. I think they realized pretty early that BfA would not turn around fully and partly wrote it off to move on. Again, my guess.

Anyway, in theory they should have had a long development time for this, and I think in some respects they have done way more than they have done lately in terms of classes etc. But as for the launch product it's hard to say. In my opinion so much work was put into covenant powers that classes desperately need even beyond the attention they got during beta.
    8.1 wasn’t actually light on new assets by any measure it had all of dark shore redone with all new art with 8 new sets just for it a ton of new mounts as well as the raid with a a lot of completely new stuff even if some of the settings were reused.

8.3 was a bit sparse but 8.1 Likely adds up to most patches in the game.

OP is a trifle misleading:

Vanilla : 26 months
    Burning Crusade : 22 months
    Wrath of the Lich King : 25 months
    Cataclysm : 22 months
    Mists of Pandaria : 26 months
    Warlords of Draenor : 26 months
    Legion : 24 months
    BfA : 26 months
    Sorry a bit off topic, but is your avatar, Sir Bill Kingsley as a gnome?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    MoP Clocks in at slightly under 26 months, closer to 25. BfA will exceed 26 months by about 10 days. So BfA is the longest lasting expansion
    Read the rest what I wrote about "feeling like a long expansion", too. It links to what the OP spoke about BfA "having dragged on" when it comes not even close to how much other expansions have "dragged on for", especially MoP.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    oh you're one of those guys who think "if they just gave themselves more time it will be good" lmao, you've got shadowlands pre ordered and you'll be playing it day one

also people that love america are not poorly educated
    funny not only haven't I preordered, i haven't been subbed for 8 months, and yes when things simply aren't done means more time is needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Those are excuses ultimately. Game development is something EASILY done from home. Stop pretending it's 2002.
    Getting several hundred developers to bring a project to completion with everyone at home, however, is a bit more difficult. Stop pretending it's 2019.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

At 26 months by the time Shadowlands is out. Given how long this expansion has dragged on for, does it give you hope for Shadowlands? They have had by far the most time to work on an expansion, and given it has now been a few years since the dev team has increased dramatically, should we expect an impeccable expansion for Shadowlands?
    How come you think this expansion has had the most time being made? Afaik, this is the first time that during the blizzcon announcement, we got such a bare-bones presentation of the systems, most of the stuff was 'we are still figuring it out', and there was radio silence for months and months. Not to mention covid. If anything, this is one of the most rushed expansions in WoW history.

Except your premise is wrong about SL having, by far, the most time to be worked on. Legion and WoD began development at the same time in 2012 shortly after the launch of MoP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    Gonna go off the top of my head, no sources:

Vanilla - BC: Nov 4th, 2004 to Jan 15th, 2007 - a tad over 26 months.
    BC to WotLK: Jan 16 2007 to Nov 12 2008 - 22 months
    WotLK to Cata: Nov 13th 2008 to Dec 6th 2010 - a week shy of 25 months
    Cata to MoP: Dec 7 2010 to Sep 24th 2012 - almost 25 months
    MoP to WoD: Sep 25 2012 to Nov 12 2014 - around 23-24 months
    WoD to Legion: Nov 13 2014 to Aug 29 2016 - about 21.5 months
    Legion to BfA: Aug 30 2016 to Aug 13 2018 - 2 weeks shy of 24 months
    BfA to SL: Aug 14 2018 to Oct 25 2020 - 26 months and 11 days.
    SL to ???: Oct 26 2020 to Dec 2022 (that's what the pattern suggests)

The dates are based on the day the expansion launched to the day before the next one goes live.
    And ignores that Legion and WoD were in simultaneous development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    How come you think this expansion has had the most time being made? Afaik, this is the first time that during the blizzcon announcement, we got such a bare-bones presentation of the systems, most of the stuff was 'we are still figuring it out', and there was radio silence for months and months. Not to mention covid. If anything, this is one of the most rushed expansions in WoW history.
    People say every two years "IT was rushed." Its not an actual thing.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi