Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Those are excuses ultimately. Game development is something EASILY done from home. Stop pretending it's 2002.
    Lol. Armchairs game developers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Let's be honest though, most will like SL over BFA because BFA was pretty lame, brought in GCD changes and in general played poorly. SL looks to be better, but let's play it and find out first.
    I guess you missed the 'spent a lot of time on alpha/beta' bit of my post? I have played a ton of SL, most of the content that will be available until 9.1, so I understand how I feel about it, thanks.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, let's just forget about the impact covid-19 had on the world, and the huge delays (and complete stops) that were a direct consequence of the pandemic.

I wouldn't just expect a more polished\complete expansion because of a few (2?) extra months in comparison to usual expansion duration, when we had way longer than that as complete lockout and production halt (they eventually started to work from home, but not immediately, and not nearly at the same productivity level). So i just feel it's a naive conclusion the op is making.
    Covid-19 does not go through the ethernet

Gottem
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Unfortunately Shadowlands is already set up to fail.
    Basically nothing relevant to do at 60, story in shambles, disjointed locations. Some classes are still a joke (looking at you Havoc DH), Covenants can never be balanced. Maw not even remotely finished, personally not a fan of roguelikes, new m+ affixes look terrible. Levelling will be an even worse experience than BfA, no idea how they managed to do that.
    Yeah, better luck next time in 2 years maybe.
    Ok, see you in 2 years. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    This level of borrowed powers started legoin; it was a problem in legion, still a problem in BFA, and will be a problem in SL.
    It is a design choice, not a problem. As an aspiring game developer, I'd love to know your idea on how to solve ever-increasing in number abilities as expansions progress in a 16 year old game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    No, in fact I don't.

They had Scenarios for downtime, Timeless Isle for alt grinding, dungeons + Valor Point upgrades to keep people going even long after they 'finished' the raid without any crazy RNG holding people back, Reforging to let people play around with different gear sets if they felt like it, AND the addition of Flex raiding adding a new group of people who could still do the raid (which was an entertaining raid) late into the patch made sure this didn't happen. MoP had so much to keep people doing stuff that the 'drought' was hardly one at all - MOST players still had content to complete despite the downtime.

If anything, I remember the MoP drought LESS than the BfA drought, and that should tell you a lot considering I remember the ICC drought more than the BfA drought.
    Scenarios were not endgame. In fact, scenarios weren't even "middle game". Hell, they were useless, so much so they were scrapped in the following expansion.
    Timeless Isle is useless aside from mindless grinding. Raiders had little to no reason to set foot there. Hell, even LFR players had little reason to set foot there.
    Valor points quickly become useless because you'd have already upgraded all your gear not even mid-way through the content drought.
    Flex raiding was useless to stretch out content since it's just the exact same fights, only with a different number of people with you, and rewarded only marginally better gear than LFR.
    Siege of Orgrimmar quickly lost is fun factor mid-way through the content drought. It was so bad that even my guild of mega-casuals at the time persevered long enough to progress to heroic Garrosh (now mythic Garrosh).

In short: MoP had little to keep people doing stuff. Even for alt-a-holics.You're honestly the first person I see to say that MoP's content drought "was not that bad". Then again, I saw someone today make a thread about WoD being the best expansion, and praised the infamous "selfie patch", so there's that.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    they said this after WOD aswell. but because Legion happened they somehow started with a clean slate again? because BFA happened and now we are saying the same thing
    I mean yeah it's easy to dismiss anything anyone says, but subs keeps droppin and more and more people are migrating over to Final Fantasy. Proof is in the pudding, don't gotta take my or their words for it, can just use your eyeballs and watch the 6 month sub mounts get churned out, hint: they're panic buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, let's just forget about the impact covid-19 had on the world, and the huge delays (and complete stops) that were a direct consequence of the pandemic.

I wouldn't just expect a more polished\complete expansion because of a few (2?) extra months in comparison to usual expansion duration, when we had way longer than that as complete lockout and production halt (they eventually started to work from home, but not immediately, and not nearly at the same productivity level). So i just feel it's a naive conclusion the op is making.

- - - Updated - - -

So, in all honesty, the same as every other expansion? this is just silly criticism.
    Do not tell me you are going to legit give blizzard a break because of covid... extra time doesn’t completely change their expansion features and plans it would only make them imbalanced/glitched.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Did you read your data? Shadowlands launch follows a 9 month post content drought. TBC and Wotlk followed a 7 and 7.5. 7 is shorter than 9. Shadowlands does not follow one of the shortest droughts. Using your argument BFA and MoP both have one of the shortest droughts as well.
    Just being stupid here, its the third shortest drought so yes it is one of the shortest. He never said it was THE shortest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    This level of borrowed powers started legoin; it was a problem in legion, still a problem in BFA, and will be a problem in SL.
    Cool opinion, but I completely disagree myself. Borrowed powers is a exiting fresh of breath air for me.
    Hi

BfA and 8.3 lasted way too long for my taste, but thats mostly because I felt it dragged out already in March so I have been longing for Shadowlands for a long time. But 9 months of last patch is still acceptable, and may the 14 months of doing one raid never happen again as we had in MoP and WoD. Absolutely horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy that it has lasted this long and yet I'm not really looking forward to Shadowlands. Maybe I'm just too jaded to care at this point.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    People will dip their toes into Shadowlands and then immediately bounce the moment it feels bad. It won't be like BFA where people were "so conflicted and heart broken over the game they love", any sentiments have been long forgotten. It's nut up or shut up time for Blizzard and everyone can kind of sense it.

For example, lets say I get in and I'm trying out Frost DK. If I don't feel good and see numbers and damage and I'm not having fun, that's it, I'm done. I'm not gonna try and do the raid and stick anything out other than casual gameplay, there won't be a point. It's on to the next class or game, whichever makes more sense.
    I will continue to play even if it feels bad.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    At 26 months by the time Shadowlands is out. Given how long this expansion has dragged on for, does it give you hope for Shadowlands? They have had by far the most time to work on an expansion, and given it has now been a few years since the dev team has increased dramatically, should we expect an impeccable expansion for Shadowlands?
    That's, why it was so stretched. Blizzard tried to make experiment. What, if we'd give them large amount of so called "content"? Would they keep playing? I personally don't. I prefer, when content becomes casual friendly and replayable, when Blizzard want to keep players playing for a long period of time without new content. And I don't see any improvements in SL. They returned dailies to remove players' choice to do, what they want, not what Blizzard want to force them to do. Overall that's because players hate things, like rep grinds, so they prefer to do emissaries only via doing easy mob kill WQs, that don't involve any time wasting. They don't want to do all that 25 rep WQs in order to get extra rep per week. May be at the end it would be even 200% rep, but it doesn't feel rewarding. Blizzard remove your choice, so now if you want to do "emissary" - you have to do, what they say, not what you want. Torghast is about challenge again. And I don't like challenge. And of course that famous Maw with ground mounts removed. And at the end I also don't like it's story.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The past events are not changed to mean something completely different. We are just learning more about how those events came to be. The Nathrezim delivered the helm and blade to the Legion who turned it into the end result that we saw on Azeroth. Learning more with an expanded backstory isn't always a retcon. And what you keep mentioning hasn't been changed since at least Chronicles was released which was a few months prior to Legion. Which means they didn't change the story for Shadowlands but set up the lore prior. And Blizzard has set up chronicles to be told from a biased/unreliable narrator. So things can be slightly changed with out technically being a retcon.
    Looks like we fundamentally disagree on what constitutes a retcon then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    does not happen in the same way when everyone is full remote.
    Pretty similar - everyone related jumps into slack/zoom meeting by clicking a link, and there are plugins that share your IDE - code, cursor and even debug information.

(you work for a very small outfit)
    Yes, in a big company it would be one department. I worked at IBM, it's basically tons of small to medium separate companies.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

I bet it should have been released in August but due to coronavirus and working from home situation it got delayed which is completely understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    People will dip their toes into Shadowlands and then immediately bounce the moment it feels bad. It won't be like BFA where people were "so conflicted and heart broken over the game they love", any sentiments have been long forgotten. It's nut up or shut up time for Blizzard and everyone can kind of sense it.
    I think I've heard this "this is the last chance for Blizzard" for three or four expansions in a row now. Let me be doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Judging from myself having been a very loyal fan since the start, this is the first time since cata that I just pay sub without logging in for weeks/months and havent bought the expansion yet. When I do buy it I will by the cheapex version. Yeah I think they are in a make it or break it scenario this time around.
    The thing is, for YOU it's the "make it or break it scenario", but that just means YOU (and others of course, but not the "general consensus") have reached this point.
    There has been people who have felt exactly the same as you for every single expansion before (hence why I've heard it already each time), and there will be for every expansion after. That's why there is a slow decay but the game keeps trudging along, and there is not an actual "make it or break it" point for the game as a whole.

I mean, WoW survived WoD. I don't think it's even possible to antagonize sufficiently the entire fanbase to kill the game in one go if WoD couldn't manage it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Covid happened, so I don't really care.