Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

BFA: the longest lasting xpac in the history of WoW

At 26 months by the time Shadowlands is out. Given how long this expansion has dragged on for, does it give you hope for Shadowlands? They have had by far the most time to work on an expansion, and given it has now been a few years since the dev team has increased dramatically, should we expect an impeccable expansion for Shadowlands?

all hope for shadowlands went up in smoke with its release date, class revamp is a joke, still world of systems quecraft with borrowed powers on top of borrowed powers. Shadowlands will be another round of Beta for Azeroth its needs months of work and testing.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    They have had by far the most time to work on an expansion, and given it has now been a few years since the dev team has increased dramatically, should we expect an impeccable expansion for Shadowlands?
    Yea, let's just forget about the impact covid-19 had on the world, and the huge delays (and complete stops) that were a direct consequence of the pandemic.

I wouldn't just expect a more polished\complete expansion because of a few (2?) extra months in comparison to usual expansion duration, when we had way longer than that as complete lockout and production halt (they eventually started to work from home, but not immediately, and not nearly at the same productivity level). So i just feel it's a naive conclusion the op is making.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    with borrowed powers on top of borrowed powers.
    So, in all honesty, the same as every other expansion? this is just silly criticism.

I think it will be an improvement over BfA, despite the covid impact on workflow etc. They basically seemed to sacrifice the BfA patch cycle to an extent as well presumably to work harder on Shadowlands - my guess as to why all effort was put on 8.2 for time efficiency and the 8.1 and 8.3 patches were very light on new assets etc, with the x.5 patches reusing locales for story progression. I think they realized pretty early that BfA would not turn around fully and partly wrote it off to move on. Again, my guess.

Anyway, in theory they should have had a long development time for this, and I think in some respects they have done way more than they have done lately in terms of classes etc. But as for the launch product it's hard to say. In my opinion so much work was put into covenant powers that classes desperately need even beyond the attention they got during beta.
    Last edited by Stormykitten; 2020-09-07 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post

So, in all honesty, the same as every other expansion? this is just silly criticism.
    This level of borrowed powers started legoin; it was a problem in legion, still a problem in BFA, and will be a problem in SL.

15+ Year Old Account
    People will dip their toes into Shadowlands and then immediately bounce the moment it feels bad. It won't be like BFA where people were "so conflicted and heart broken over the game they love", any sentiments have been long forgotten. It's nut up or shut up time for Blizzard and everyone can kind of sense it.

For example, lets say I get in and I'm trying out Frost DK. If I don't feel good and see numbers and damage and I'm not having fun, that's it, I'm done. I'm not gonna try and do the raid and stick anything out other than casual gameplay, there won't be a point. It's on to the next class or game, whichever makes more sense.

Shadowlands looks amazing, but they wasted and will continiue to waste massive amouns of developer time with covenant abilities, signature abilities, legendaries and conduits.

Example: shadowpriest just got revamped. That means many of the conduits and legendaries does not work at all with new shadow, as they were designed to work with old shadow.

Each time Blizz wants to change an ability in Shadowlands, they will have to also change conduits and legendaries and possibly signature ability. They have created a balancing nightmare for themselves, that will take a shit ton of time - time that could be used to add good stuff in big patches.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    really? it's the longest? definitely doesn't feel like the longest. guess the drought wasn't as long as WoD's and MoP's so that has helped. I am excited for Shadowlands as I am of any new expansion, I hope I am not let down

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    all hope for shadowlands went up in smoke with its release date, class revamp is a joke, still world of systems quecraft with borrowed powers on top of borrowed powers. Shadowlands will be another round of Beta for Azeroth its needs months of work and testing.
    Sounds like you need to find another game. Most of the time we have borrowed power in one form or another. It isn't in that bad of shape and months of testing won't change much at all.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I logged in ready to debunk the OP saying BfA is the longest expansion to date, but they're actually correct. The only other time the game went 26 months until the new expansion was vanilla to BC. everything in between has been anywhere from 22-25 months

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, let's just forget about the impact covid-19 had on the world, and the huge delays (and complete stops) that were a direct consequence of the pandemic.

I wouldn't just expect a more polished\complete expansion because of a few (2?) extra months in comparison to usual expansion duration, when we had way longer than that as complete lockout and production halt (they eventually started to work from home, but not immediately, and not nearly at the same productivity level). So i just feel it's a naive conclusion the op is making.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are excuses ultimately. Game development is something EASILY done from home. Stop pretending it's 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Title: "BFA: the longest lasting xpac in the history of WoW"
    Wrong. Mists of Pandaria lasted 26 months, as well.

However, MoP's last patch (5.4: Siege of Orgrimmar) lasted fourteen months: from September 14, 2013 to November 13, 2014. Whereas BfA's last patch (8.3: Visions of N'Zoth) will last only ten months. And on top of that, MoP's last patch only gave us Proving Grounds and Timeless Isle as "repeatable content" and even then those didn't have much to do. Visions of N'Zoth gave us two "new" quest zones that changed every week, and Horrific Visions. On top of that, BfA has the benefit of Mythic+ dungeons.

All of that put together makes BfA not feel anywhere near as "long" as MoP did, really.

Don't you remember how bad the "MoP content drought" was, back then, while we waited for the next expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Those are excuses ultimately. Game development is something EASILY done from home. Stop pretending it's 2002.
    More armchair developers not knowing what they are talking about.

The transition from office work to WFH is not a smooth one. It takes time to set up a home office. It takes time to get remote VPNs working properly. There are more distractions at home. Loved ones do their best not to disturb you but it can take a while for them to get used to you being there.
    Source? I am an actual software developer that now WFH in a large organisation and I actually played Vanilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

OP is a trifle misleading:

Vanilla : 26 months
    Burning Crusade : 22 months
    Wrath of the Lich King : 25 months
    Cataclysm : 22 months
    Mists of Pandaria : 26 months
    Warlords of Draenor : 26 months
    Legion : 24 months
    BfA : 26 months

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Legion : 24 months
    You list isn't accurate. WoD launched on 11-13-2014 and Legion launched on 8-30-2016. That isn't 26 months.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You list isn't accurate.
    Was from WOWpedia (didn't go into detail) ... point is multiple expansions have had about the same content time as BfA (+/1 a week or two).

Also - BfA has had one of the shortest post content droughts of any expansion as well.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

WoD was only 22 months. HFC just happened to be the current raid tier for just as long as SoO in MoP (14 months), despite the expansion itself being 4 months shorter...

Realistically the length of the final raid tier is the more concerning thing, and Ny'alotha will only be current for 10 months when we move on. That's a huge improvement from MoP and WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Realistically the length of the final raid tier is the more concerning thing, and Ny'alotha will only be current for 10 months when we move on. That's a huge improvement from MoP and WoD.
    Indeed... BfA was on par with 3 other expansions for total length, but way shorter on the gap at the end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also - BfA has had one of the shortest post content droughts of any expansion as well.
    Not true. The launch of TBC and Wotlk both happened in a shorter amount of time. 8.3 to launch is around 9 months. TBC and Wotlk launches came after a 7 to 7.5 month drought.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not true.
    What I said was absolutely true... assuming you read what I wrote, which these days is a long shot anyway.

Here is the data:

Patch 1.11 – The Burning Crusade: 7 months (2006-06-20 — 2007-01-16)
    Patch 2.4 – Wrath of the Lich King: 7.5 months (2008-03-25 — 2008-11-13)
    Patch 3.3 – Cataclysm: 12 months (2009-12-08 — 2010-12-07)
    Patch 4.3 – Mists of Pandaria: 10 months (2011-11-29 — 2012-09-25)
    Patch 5.4 – Warlords of Draenor: 14 months (2013-09-10 — 2014-11-13)
    Patch 6.2 - Legion: 14 months (2015-06-23 — 2016-08-30)
    Patch 7.3 - Battle for Azeroth: 11 months (2017-08-29 — 2018-08-14)
    Patch 8.3 - Shadowlands: 9 months (2020-01-14 — 2020-10-27)