Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Youtube alternatives.

Since current YouTube is a mess, I thought we could talk about alternative sites.

Are there any good ones?

Bitchute seems to be promising, but it does have some issues, for me:
    * Not very stable on background mode on my cellphone browser.
    * Lacks a proper app (AFAIK, there is one app, not sure if it is official)
    * Search is REALLY bad (I know they are working on improving it right now, still it is very bad at the moment).

When I use it on my desktop to watch videos on channels I know, it works flawlessly, but it still has a long way to go to be competitive.

I also know there is lbry, but I have never used it at all.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vimeo, Metacafe, DailyMotion...

...but YouTube is still the biggest and arguably best option.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    Since current YouTube is a mess, I thought we could talk about alternative sites.

Are there any good ones?
    How is Youtube a mess? The only people that would be saying this, are the people that are pissed off that their racist or conspiracy peddling former youtubers they watched are being removed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    How is Youtube a mess? The only people that would be saying this, are the people that are pissed off that their racist or conspiracy peddling former youtubers they watched are being removed.
    Youtube is removing videos DEBUNKING Corona conspiracies, while they dont touch the conspiracy video in the first place.
    They only sort out stuff when a BIG channel is hit by the same thing, like Markiplier and Moist Critical thing, Critical getting blasted and nothing happens, but when Mark is hit, they magically fix it.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Youtube is removing videos DEBUNKING Corona conspiracies, while they dont touch the conspiracy video in the first place.
    They only sort out stuff when a BIG channel is hit by the same thing, like Markiplier and Moist Critical thing, Critical getting blasted and nothing happens, but when Mark is hit, they magically fix it.
    What corona conspiracies?

10+ Year Old Account
    All the trolls seem to love Liveleaks if you're alt right Facebook Watch is huge among far righters
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What corona conspiracies?
    He is not wrong. Several youtubers with science backgrounds like Thunderfoot have been hit with total nonsense strikes for debunking mask conspiracy and vaccine nonsense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or you only watch makeup tutorials, "over"reactions vids, tictok/old vine YLYL compilations or clips from late night tv.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    He is not wrong. Several youtubers with science backgrounds like Thunderfoot have been hit with total nonsense strikes for debunking mask conspiracy and vaccine nonsense.
    He angered the solar freakin roadway industrial complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cable Public Access
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there was one good site, but it went to trash:
    https://youtube-alternatives.fandom.com/wiki/Vlare.tv

Quote Originally Posted by gfffdfrterer View Post
    It is a lot more than that. They've been heavily marginalizing any content which isn't from a mainstream news site, including progressive or centrist channels. It is crazy to to marginalize someone like David Pakman and promote Fox News-the latter is far more extreme.
    Then you have the copyright strike system which works to the advantage of those making the claim to quite an absurd degree. Then you have the cataclysm around children's content with COPPA, where every children's channel was demonetized overnight.

Everyone on youtube would leave tomorrow if there were a viable alternative, but it is absurdly expensive to do something like youtube. Every alternative platform has the same problem: they get dumped with all the stuff youtube didn't want rendering their platform fatally toxic.

- - - Updated - - -

That's essentially every website right-wingers start up. The home page is filled with neo-nazi crap. No one wants to watch that shit. Politics itself is actually not the basis of a viable commercial channel, let alone politics that is essentially alt.right types agreeing with each other.
    Just because the video is there, you don't have to click it, I never watched a nazi or an alt righter video and yet I use it daily. Also, since those channels are the ones being banned from youtube, I guess it is pretty predicable that they will there, isn't it?

I cited Bitchute because it works on a bit torrent approach (instead of a central server approach), which is a very nice nice way to solve the problem of the costs. Basically you are splitting the massive costs of streaming with the users and this is the kind of path I believe internet should start using, as it is a nice way to reduce the investment needed.
    Last edited by Knolan; 2020-09-08 at 12:15 PM.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't any good ones for broad appeal, but there are a number of smaller ones with more niche bases, like Nebula.

Liveleak is really under good

Thunder foot blamed the algo.

Let's see:

• Too many ads. YouTube is virtually unwatchable without AdBlocker.
    • That whole COPPA mess.
    • The utterly broken copyright strike system.

Yeah the adverts have been more frequent, longer, and less often skippable after 5 seconds. Kinda wish they could tone it down a little but it's their toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Thunder foot blamed the algo.
    Oh no, the problem is with the algorithm, but the algorithm doesn't come into spontaneous existence. YT could adjust its flagging system and have more humans review trash content. There's a phenomenal amount of real bullshitry that stays on the platform, often fully monetized, through some clever use of euphemisms, while legit content gets flagged and never reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yeah the adverts have been more frequent, longer, and less often skippable after 5 seconds. Kinda wish they could tone it down a little but it's their toy.
    I wonder sometimes about those advertisement. I have noticed an increased in the number of advertisements. However, I was watching multiple episodes "The Romance of Tiger and Rose" this weekend. Each episode was about 45 minutes. Not a single advertisement. Not even between episodes.

Oh no, the problem is with the algorithm, but the algorithm doesn't come into spontaneous existence. YT could adjust its flagging system and have more humans review trash content. There's a phenomenal amount of real bullshitry that stays on the platform, often fully monetized, through some clever use of euphemisms, while legit content gets flagged and never reviewed.
    What if they found they allow far
    more conspiracies through that way?

Every minute 300 hours is uploaded to YouTube. There aren’t enough people.