Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    So, spoilers.

We're fighting the Jailer, who is apparently an ancient being in charge of the Maw, where the worst of the worst souls go. He and his allies (Sylvanas, Mueh'zala, others) have broken how the Shadowlands work, sending all souls to the Maw instead of other places.

This is bad because if the other zones do not get souls/anima, things break in the Shadowlands and even in reality. If Ardenweald cannot get anima, the spirits of Wild Gods cannot be reborn. If Maldraxxus cannot get anima, they cannot create an army to protect the Shadowlands from the armies of the Light and Void. Kyrians would not be able to ferry souls to their deserved afterlives. The Venthyr would not be able to redeem souls in Revendreth. And, we will likely see other places in patches. We already see Bwonsamdi's realm as a dungeon, not to mention Oribos.

Likewise, we care about these four zones because their leaders are apparently ancient beings that are part of some sort of "Pantheon of Death" - some oppose the Jailer, some may have sided with him. There are many infinite places, but these seem to be four of the more important ones.

The veil between reality and death is also broken, allowing undead and souls to attack Azeroth as well from the Maw. If the Jailer is strong enough from anima, it's possible he could harm reality even further, killing everyone and making their afterlives an unending torture. No one would be sent to any kind of heaven when they die.

So it's probably the biggest threat we've ever faced in WoW. Sure, we fought undead and necromancers before, but they were borrowing powers from the Shadowlands. Sure, we've fought cosmic powers, but the Jailer is apparently more ancient and powerful than even the Titans.

In the end, though, it seems that Blizzard will be focusing more on greater cosmic powers in the future. At least, that's their mission statement when they announced Shadowlands last year. Apparently the Jailer is the beginning of them exploring WoW's cosmology. So, I wouldn't expect more simple stories going forward.
    Tbf here, we're kinda out of material for "simple" stories. I mean, all the core OG WC foes are gone now (Such as the Legion, the Scourge, and the Old Gods). So, at this rate, all we gotta do now is handle these "Gods", and that's it...

Until Blizzard writes a new story, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Tbf here, we're kinda out of material for "simple" stories. I mean, all the core OG WC foes are gone now (Such as the Legion, the Scourge, and the Old Gods). So, at this rate, all we gotta do now is handle these "Gods", and that's it...

Yeah, i don't mind that though. I was more saying that because of the OP's assessment that lore was more simple on the RTS games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Thanks for that write-up!
    No prob, hope I didn't spoil too mucb.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post

If they ever do timeskip/world revamp, it seems like a great opportunity for a soft reboot. This has gotten out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    I've lost track of all this fantasy opera...shit was so much more understandable in the RTSes writing.

Who are we fighting in the shadowlands? What are protecting? Why are we there? What happens if we "fail"? What is "failing" in this case? If there's infinite Shadowlands realms, why do we give such a shit about these 4?

Like where are we man, I've lost track with all this old god shit and void lords and whatever.
    Short answer: we don't totally know yet.

Our characters enter the shadowlands to save faction heroes and hunt down sylvanas, long the way (in typical fashion) we get embroiled in the zones specific conflicts, the meta threat is yet to be completely revealed. Its an adventure ya dig

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    C'mon man, this isn't a horror game.
    Made me laugh. Yes, we are not talking Dark Souls here.

And why do we fight?

To get epics and shiny new transmogs.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A better question is, why did they throw away N'zoth and Azshara like a leper, and now they have to make up bullshit stories like this?

I've lost track of all this fantasy opera...shit was so much more understandable in the RTSes writing.

Who are we fighting in the shadowlands? What are protecting? Why are we there? What happens if we "fail"? What is "failing" in this case? If there's infinite Shadowlands realms, why do we give such a shit about these 4?

Like where are we man, I've lost track with all this old god shit and void lords and whatever.
    From shortly after Legion began until now now every being on Azeroth who dies has their soul not to the afterlife they deserve, but to the Maw, a place of torture and evil that only the most wicked and unredeemable are set. Of note is the fact that Kael'thas, genocidal lunatic and Legion sympathizer, wasn't judged bad enough to be sent there. Reason this is happening is because of the Jailer, the big bad who is the force who has been helping Sylvanas since she killed herself shortly after the death of the Lich King. All her actions since becoming Warchief were to kill as many people as possible to fill up the Maw so the Jailer gets stronger. So we need to stop both of them to prevent literally everyone on Azeroth from being condemned to WoW Hell no matter who they are or what they did.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    A better question is, why did they throw away N'zoth and Azshara like a leper, and now they have to make up bullshit stories like this?
    Blizzard threw away the Emerald Dream, Argus, N'zoth, and Azshara.

All expansion worthy themes, all reduced to one note wonders. Northrend was just a frozen husk, yet it got proper treatment.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post

All expansion worthy themes, all reduced to one note wonders. Northrend was just a frozen husk, yet it got proper treatment.
    Agree. They wasted a lot of lore potential.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Same way kids comics are more understandable than literature. If anything, the story/lore has become more engaging compared to how it was back in the day where everything was a themepark to excuse gameplay mechanics.

Even if I find flaws in the current state of lore, I would never trade that for what we had back in Vanilla and RTS days.
    Means you never read the lore manuals that game with the games. WoW was STILL drawing on the Warcraft 3 lore manual heavily until Legion, and still did draw on WC2 in BFA. Shadowlands is the first expansion that truly draws on nothing from the RTSes.

Well, it’s all in the game and wiki links if you truly care to know and not just post personal blog complaint threads.
    Also, how do you lose track unless you just haven’t been paying attention in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Because their new writers never could do them justice. That's why they invented sh*t like Azerite and the Fourth War. And now this Shadowlands nonsense which just feels pointless because it's another fabricated threat. The Scourge, Legion, Deathwing felt authentic and genuine because they were long time foes. All of this Shadowlands stuff matters exactly one expansion and is forgotten by the next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post

The thing is, if properly done they could have extended TBC and WotLK for another year because those continents had enough potential to give us more. Faralon or more Nether stuff in TBC, another Troll raid in WotLK, there was so much potential. All of it wasted.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

The main villain of Shadowlands is the Jailer, an ancient evil who seeks to consume all of reality. He controls the army known as the Mawsworns. Secondary villains include the former warchief and tyrant Sylvanas and the malicious creature Helya, both of which serve Jailer.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

I feel bad for everyone giving actual in-depth answers. The OP is not really interested in any of that, and he's not really asking for any clarifications. It's just badly camouflaged bitching.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

I feel the same I think. Its all too convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I feel bad for everyone giving actual in-depth answers. The OP is not really interested in any of that, and he's not really asking for any clarifications. It's just badly camouflaged bitching.
    Reported for flaming, I am literally reading every reply in my threads unlike most of you.

You are literally the definition of your post, someone who came here just to bitch but provided ZERO useful answer.
    You're not interested in that are you, just at badly camouflated bitching. Pure hypocrisy, I would be ashamed if I was you at how disgusting a human being you are.

I'm confused about the plot and a lot of people have answered my question in this thread and other's i've created, where I did type answers as well.

Sorry for having a life and job and not devoting my life to the MMOC forums, please forgive.

I'm only glad that apparently Sylvanas explicitly explains her motives in one of the upcoming cinematics because I'm not exactly getting her motives in all this. What does she gain from the whole reality being destructed? I mean if she seeks total death, why not just perma-die in Shadowlands (we've seen it's possible) and be done with it? Why go through that all hassle to achieve basically the same result only to take the whole cosmos with her (I think...?) No matter how evil and unhinged she is nowadays I don't see Sylvanas caring enough to do that. I wish Blizzard was more specific than "unmake the cosmos" and "unravel reality" xD

Reported for flaming, I am literally reading every reply in my threads unlike most of you.

You are literally the definition of your post, someone who came here just to bitch but provided ZERO useful answer.
    You're not interested in that are you, just at badly camouflated bitching. Pure hypocrisy, I would be ashamed if I was you at how disgusting a human being you are.

I'm confused about the plot and a lot of people have answered my question in this thread and other's i've created, where I did type answers as well.

Sorry for having a life and job and not devoting my life to the MMOC forums, please forgive.
    I'll give you 3/10 for this because I thought for about 2 seconds you are actually honest. Nice try
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Watch the cinematic and trailer again. It's literally the first thing we are being told.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Same way kids comics are more understandable than literature. If anything, the story/lore has become more engaging compared to how it was back in the day where everything was a themepark to excuse gameplay mechanics.

Even if I find flaws in the current state of lore, I would never trade that for what we had back in Vanilla and RTS days.
    Vanilla I understand. What's wrong with the way the story was told in the RTS days though? WC3 and TFT were story driven games.