Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Nightborne vs Bloodelf mage! lorewise , which one is stronger?

Hello, Which race is superior mage in lore? I am asking for average blef vs nb. I know there might be overpowered individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
    Hello, Which race is superior mage in lore? I am asking for average blef vs nb. I know there might be overpowered individuals.
    It depends in some things the blood elves are better and in others the nightborne. for example in telemancy the nightborne are better, in creation of golems the blood elves are better.

Human potential > all

Elisande was probably more powerful than any blood elf mage we know. With that said, Rommath and Kael'thas are probably more powerful than any nightborne other than Elisande.

Idk, we don't really have much to go on.

3+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the individual I think. Strongest comparison would be Kael'thas vs. Elisande and I have no idea which one could be stronger.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

This is my honest assessment, I'll try to be as unbiased as possible, even though it's no secret I like the blood elves the most.

Lore wise, a Nightborne mage is the superior - at least on paper. Compared to what they had and what we see in Suramar and read, we were well behind in almost every area (but we have a few advances they don't). They're also almost singularly focused towards the arcane and magecraft, and we are more diverse (overall that is better for us, but with regards to mages, that gives them the upperhand).

They've been at it for much longer too, lifetime wise, 10,000 years ago, they were already ahead of us, but this exposes a new developed weakness in them. Their rate of growth in the period since the sundering has been snail slow (massive stagnation), compared to us who had to rebuild everything we had from scratch, in 7,000 years we've made immense progress under crippling circumstances, both biological thanks to the Night elf exile and having to fight a lot - unlike their ancient civilisation.

They are the better mages technically, but I'll back the blood elves in a fight against the Nightborne, blood elf ingenuity and determination eclipses all races. We are neither the most powerful, nor the greatest, nor brightest, but we're near the top in all of those, and combined, we always get it done and pull through despite our very low numbers ( and we all know who to thank for that).

IF the mages went to war, despite their superior and more advanced abilities and even intellect, we'd beat them. We're just more resourceful, better at fighting, and more driven - by a substantial margin, while we're only a little behind in intelligence, and magical knowledge for combat - which is the valid one here, we are nearly up to them and I believe we will have the upper hand fighting with magic.

They've spent 10k years without fighting with magic, and while they were formidable in the Nighthold, they were not invincible by a longshot. The Moonguard proved that lesser power and numbers does not mean lesser performance, they outperformed the Nightborne significantly per individual - but they are the magical combat experts. They may have been just as advanced as the Nightborne, but without their levels of power source.

I believe the blood elves will win, we have the Sunwell, they have no Nightwell, they have superior arcane knowledge, techniques and enhanced intellect, we have higher drive, greater resourcefulness and cunning, plus more experience with combat - most of their experienced combatants were slaughtered when we invaded the Nightborne, they're severely crippled - but we don't know how much of the Duskguard and Nighthold defendants survived and once more fight for the THalyssra controlled Nightborne populace

So, overall you're backing the winners if you go blood elf. We are also a lot better looking. Nightborne could have been incredible to look at, but they chose UGLY faces, especially on the males, the females are better, a lot better, but still, so old looking (most of them). Wish they had an age slider and an expression slider
    Last edited by Beloren; 2020-09-11 at 02:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    who care, those elf threats are so cringe

there is no race stronger than the other in magic, is just individuals and how they trained/achieved it

Cool thread! I want to say Nightborne since Blood Elves more on to specialize more in The Light since the end of Burning Crusade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Human potential > all
    Why do you have to be the one to ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    who care, those elf threats are so cringe

there is no race stronger than the other in magic, is just individuals and how they trained/achieved it
    You're wrong there, definitely races have strengths in certain fields (and classes), it's the individual adventurer or individual potential that has no limit.

Frankly an orc mage can rival any elven mage, same with humans, but elves are way ahead of both on average in terms of magic and on a societal basis.

The adventueerer is a unique individual with a remarkable destiny, so as long as the race has access to the class, they can be as great as any race that is legendary in that field. But races do have strengths and weaknesses, not all races are the same.

Not all classes are the same either. On average a mage is far more powerful than an average warrior or rogue. Not when it comes to adventurers though, because you are a special rogue or warrior, and you are able to go toe to toe. It's a different standard for the legends. Mages may be far greater in power than warriors, but the world's most powerful warriors can go toe to toe with any mage, including the legendary ones. hHis is how Grom can beat Mannaroth, or Varian take down Onyxia.

However it is not the standard. Your average mage is far above your average thief or fighter, but that's irrelevant to your character, because he's special. Turst me, not every wariror can use the moves you use, only the best, nor can they have access to the quipement you have, that boosts you so much more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Cool thread! I want to say Nightborne since Blood Elves more on to specialize more in The Light since the end of Burning Crusade.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you have to be the one to ruin it.
    Well humans only have plot protection. Lore puts them average, with the potential to one day be great , but somehow they manage to eclipse everyone in everything.. truth is it's just because they tell the story from their perspective and only show their exploits and great feats, so it's biased towards them. They've got the plot armor, and the plot I win button.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Well humans only have plot protection. Lore puts them average, with the potential to one day be great , but somehow they manage to eclipse everyone in everything.. truth is it's just because they tell the story from their perspective and only show their exploits and great feats, so it's biased towards them. They've got the plot armor, and the plot I win button.
    Who could blame Blizzard? When they tried to make the member of another race the hero of the story, the player base jumped on Blizzard's back crying "Green Jesus!"

Illidan was the main hero of Legion, albeit anti-hero, so it's not always true.

Varok was the main hero of BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Who could blame Blizzard? When they tried to make the member of another race the hero of the story, the player base jumped on Blizzard's back crying "Green Jesus!"

Illidan was the main hero of Legion, albeit anti-hero, so it's not always true.

Varok was the main hero of BfA.
    Remember all the Sadfang quips, I can't tell if that was a majority view or just a small hardcore section. But they killed the main hero there... and let Sylvanas live.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Nightborne should have ancient tomes of arcane secrets. They also never deviated from their magical ancestry, unlike the Blood Elves who shifted their focus to the Light and Marksmanship.

Nightborne for me.

But humans are still the best mages lel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuli View Post
    Depends on the individual I think. Strongest comparison would be Kael'thas vs. Elisande and I have no idea which one could be stronger.
    Elisande by a mile tbh, she has over 10k experience, while Kael'thas maybe a few centuries. But, then again, it would depend on what type of magic I suppose. I'd guess that Kael'thas would be better with Fire magic, while Elisande would be better at Arcane magic.

So as others have said... depends on the individual, and outside that, its more or less impossible to compare or say for certain.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're wrong there, definitely races have strengths in certain fields (and classes), it's the individual adventurer or individual potential that has no limit.
    having the potential or affinity don't rly mean they are stronger, just mean they can do it faster.

in reality draeneis and trolls are far beyond affinity and potential than elves

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    The Nightborne should have ancient tomes of arcane secrets. They also never deviated from their magical ancestry, unlike the Blood Elves who shifted their focus to the Light and Marksmanship.

Nightborne for me.

But humans are still the best mages lel.
    The blood elves never left their arcane mastery. They did have a reset, unlike the Nightborne and shen'drlaar, the Night elf survivors outside the two surviving cities lost everything. Furhermore, their decision not to use the arcane meant they abanodoned returning to fallen cities or rebuilding, instead choosing to stay near the new well of eternity and Nordrassil that was grown to disguise it's power from the twisting nether, and prevent any race from using it - all to stop the demons returning.

The sunstriders were among that group for 3,000 years. No arcane, no knowledge, no tomes, vast majority of the knowledge of the night elves lost - but this was the opposite for the Shen'dralar in Dire Maul, and those they left behind in Suramar -scholars, and magicians could continue their studies. They are often described as feverishly studying the arcane in Eldre'thalas, and continuing in the paradise like environs of Suramar upheld by the magic of the Night well.

Meanwhile, when talking sense to MAlfurion seems o fail, and the high elves get wrongfully kicked out, and severed from the WEll of Eternity and the Nordarassil bonds, they are left to fend for themselves and have to start everythin up again with just the knoweldge in their heads.

For a 3,000 year break and having literally nothing but a vial, the built Quelt'halas, and Silvermoon, such an incredible place in the midst of high opposition and struggle. The peace the night elf empire was able to flourish in did not exist for the blood elves. And while we haven't reached the levels of advancement the kaldorei ancestors were at 10,000 years ago, we made some great advancements - they never had flying academies - that we know of..

The high elf society was fund on freedom of magic, all magic, for all, ofc as arcane was the one contested, this largely came to be interpreted as arcane, but it wasn't limited to that, as long as it wasn't dark magic and could be used safely without calling the legion (hence the Ban'dinoriel) then it was fine.

As a full society, engaging (without choice) with the other denizens around them, like trolls and humans, magic couldn't e a singular focus, had to have great warriors, hunters, rangers, spies etc etc, and ofc also grew in the light.

THe blood el society is very strong arcane wise, it's just that arcane isn't hte oly prusuit, they're great Rangers and Paladins, something that has grown stronger in them since the half divine state of the sunwell

- - - Updated - - -

And humans, while having some amazing mages - Jaina, Khadgar, Medivh - are not the best mages. Because Dalaran is the international mage city, not Silvermoon or Suramar (because elves don't like foreign non-elven visitors), they get to feature a lot, especially being the sole focus of the alliance. It would not be the case if blizzard had focused on the Draenei or Night elves who boast Highborne and Moonguard with solid lore.

When you look at the world's greatest mages, the list has more elves than humans, although many are Night elven. And if you follow the lore, the number of magicians, fully qualified and magic users (from little, to a lot) is far more prevalent in the elves than the humans.

Also the elves can wield every form of magic out there and are quickly famous for being the best with them - like Fel (Illidari) and Void (void elves). Humans are very talented at magic, but it's a greater thing in elves.

Remember all the Sadfang quips, I can't tell if that was a majority view or just a small hardcore section. But they killed the main hero there... and let Sylvanas live.
    I remember, it's probably just the smartass part of MMO-C with too much time on their hands. Remember, MMO-C forum's populace makes up a very small vocal percentage of WoW's total game population, most people probably quite enjoy the story.

I found Varok's fate fulfilling. I hate Sylvanas, yeah, but Varok ousted her, he was never going to defeat her, but his victory was symbolic. He was a martyr, and it was fitting for an old soldier. What I disliked was all the talking heads calling him a traitor throughout 8.1 and 8.2. Baine I get, that guy is spineless, but Varok acted on principle instead of playing the victim behind enemy lines. He challenged Sylvanas and died for his beliefs (what Baine should have done in 8.2.)

It varies based on individual. The two strongest mages on azeroth currently are both human. No race is inherintly great at magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Piplupzero View Post
    It varies based on individual. The two strongest mages on azeroth currently are both human. No race is inherintly great at magic.
    Medivh and Jaina? Or Jaina and Khadgar? Medivh is still alive, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Piplupzero View Post
    Nah, that would be Night elf, Azshara and Illidan. They're stronger than Jaina and Khadagar. and if you're referring to the Guardians Aegwyn and Medivh, remember their super powering is bestowed, not natural,

Now Queen Azshara, Illidan, Elisande, Farondis, Kael'thas, Darth'remar, Xavius, Anasterin, even Rommath and Aethas - these are mage heavy hitters - all elven.

For arcane, Nightborne. Why? 10,000 years in an arcane bubble buddle and studying arcane magic far beyond the rest of the world. Their culture seems to have very little signs of use of fire or frost magic however.
    Child: "Mom, Dad. My major will be fire"
    Parents: GASP!

For fire and frost, Blood Elves.

Silly Answer: Humans, clearly.