Thread: No classic+?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    BC Classic would be better than current Classic. Wrath Classic would be the ultimate form of the game coming back. No amount of speedboosting zoomies can kill my fun of playing peak Ret.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard also shot Classic itself down years ago by saying we think we want classic, but we don't. So it's pretty pointless to say that they dont' want classic+.

Last edited by Kuja; 2020-09-12 at 02:50 AM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I feel like posting the astronaut with a gun meme because, really, there never was a possibility of Classic+. Classic didn't even receive a panel at last year's BlizzCon. There's a reason for that. Classic is one ride in the amusement park that is retail. It's great that there are so many people who are perfectly fine riding the same ride until the end of time but the main attraction will always be retail (no matter how much you may personally hate it).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    1)Blizzard would have to hire a lot more people to work on new assets and design new dungeons/raids. This isn't something I can see them doing.

No they wouldn't. Software engineers, especially those in the gaming industry, are usually pretty passionate about building things on their own during company sanctioned 'free time/innovation' (Usually a week or two every couple months where engineers can work on whatever they want, company related. Often referred to an IP Sprint or Hackathon, depending on the context). That how Classic was started in the first place. As well, there are a ton of unused Assets in the code already that could be leveraged, drastically reducing the work load.

That doesn't mean it will happen, but that's hardly an excuse for it not to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Blizzard also shot Classic itself down years ago by saying we think we want classic, but we don't. So it's pretty pointless to say that they dont' want classic+.

J. Allen really looked like an idiot answering at the time; doubly so now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Ah the immense arrogance on display...

Retail enabled Classic to get made, and will continue carrying it through wider monetization and new expansion sales. Duh.

BC and MAYBE WOTLK will happen. Which is so much better than pandering to the crowd not willing to accept that times change.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-09-12 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    No they wouldn't. Software engineers, especially those in the gaming industry, are usually pretty passionate about building things on their own during company sanctioned 'free time/innovation' (Usually a week or two every couple months where engineers can work on whatever they want, company related. Often referred to an IP Sprint or Hackathon, depending on the context). That how Classic was started in the first place. As well, there are a ton of unused Assets in the code already that could be leveraged, drastically reducing the work load.

That doesn't mean it will happen, but that's hardly an excuse for it not to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

J. Allen really looked like an idiot answering at the time; doubly so now.
    They have a veritable skeleton crew for Classic currently. Probably just enough people working on it to keep it from crashing. They'd have to hire a lot more people in order to undertake something like creating new dungeons, raids, armor sets, and weapon models. Because if they were to just reuse assets they already had then what the fuck is the point of Classic+?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Citation needed
    I don't need a citation. It's a well known fact that the number of people playing classic is nothing compared to actual retail servers. If it wasn't then WoW would literally die and there would be no more Classic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    When Classic launched I jumped in and hoped for a separate "old school" game with different philosophy. Runescape did it so why not WoW.

When they made the TBC poll though, I lost all hope and quit. I mean it would be awesome if they somehow made it happen but I doubt it.
    I dont understand what you are saying,why you lost hope when tbc poll came?what do you mean if they somehow made it happen?made what happen?

do you think tbc will replace classic?it wont...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    There. Will. Never. Be. A. Classic+.

Classic exists, because it was cheap and easy to do, and increased subs and engagement. Classic+ would require a significant financial investment, and would likely not increase player engagement. Why would they go out of their way to develop a new game tat wouldn't increase, when they could make millions a month selling a game they made more than a decade ago, and do it on the cheap? Classic is no different than any of the dozens of private servers that were run by a couple dudes in basements in Eastern Europe.

On that note, I want to hand it to Blizzard for selling the lie that Classic was some sort of fantastic feat to pull off.
    There could be classic+ as its own thing,its very posible that in the end we have retail,classic,tbc,and classic+ all as different entities

also,yeah classic was a fairly hard feat to pull off if they didnt have the data anymore,or did you actualy think they would use private server emulator lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I LOLed at this, People in classic have their heads in the sand because they all seem to think the retail servers are dead when its the other way around LOL.
    its very posible classic has more players right now,classic has naxx coming out,the raid most of the people who wanted classic want to see,and bfa is done,its when people stop playing,but inevitably classic will fall off once naxx has been out for months,and shadowlands comes out,but tbc will proly continue to take a fair chunk away

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    As I said to the other guy, this is a useless comparison.

Vanilla was a real thing, an actual state of the game that existed and one that hundreds of thousands of people wanted another chance to experience.

Classic 'plus' is not a real thing, it is not a version of the game that exists in any form. It is literally fan-fiction, disparate ideas from people who hate retail but don't think Classic is good enough as it is either. "but imagine if classic had HD models! or AOE looting! Or all new raids and content!"

So the argument that 'well Blizzard said no to vanilla servers at first too' is stupid. Vanilla servers were/are real. Classic plus isn't.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-09-12 at 04:39 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.
    It amazes me that there are people as delusional as you on these forums. You're lucky that Blizzard was even willing to waste any small amount of resources to recreate classic for you. I would be pissed if they even considered putting a cent towards this dumb classic+ nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Ah the immense arrogance on display...

Retail enabled Classic to get made, and will continue carrying it through wider monetization and new expansion sales. Duh.

BC and MAYBE WOTLK will happen. Which is so much better than pandering to the crowd not willing to accept that times change.
    This. /10char
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Because if they were to just reuse assets they already had then what the fuck is the point of Classic+?
    Unused. Assets. Read my post again, but slow down and try to read to understand, rather than read to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

5+ Year Old Account
    Wont know till Blizzcon most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I dont understand what you are saying,why you lost hope when tbc poll came?what do you mean if they somehow made it happen?made what happen?

- - - Updated - - -

There could be classic+ as its own thing,its very posible that in the end we have retail,classic,tbc,and classic+ all as different entities

also,yeah classic was a fairly hard feat to pull off if they didnt have the data anymore,or did you actualy think they would use private server emulator lol

- - - Updated - - -

its very posible classic has more players right now,classic has naxx coming out,the raid most of the people who wanted classic want to see,and bfa is done,its when people stop playing,but inevitably classic will fall off once naxx has been out for months,and shadowlands comes out,but tbc will proly continue to take a fair chunk away
    Once again, what they did is not really any different than what hundreds of private servers have done in the past. They did have the data, they didn't re-make the game. The only thing that took any effort, was making it compatible with the newer launcher.

There's no need for Classic+, because it doesn't give them any new player base. They have Classic+, it's called TBC. How many people will they draw with Classic+, that they won't get with TBC and Classic? Now, compare that with the number of man hours something like that would take. It's simply not worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.
    Classic gets enough money for TBC and that's all it needs.
    I know its a tough to swallow pill but classic+ is never going to happen.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    My only concern is they leave me the ability to access my Classic server the way it is. I'm not interested in neither TBC nor "Classic+".

The very last interesting story Blizzard did was the first Campaign of SCII (the second one was so-so and the third horribly boring, didn’t even finish it yet).

Not interested in anything today’s Blizzard has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

If they make it into seperate servers it might split the community.

For most people, it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    There. Will. Never. Be. A. Classic+.

Classic exists, because it was cheap and easy to do, and increased subs and engagement. Classic+ would require a significant financial investment, and would likely not increase player engagement. Why would they go out of their way to develop a new game tat wouldn't increase, when they could make millions a month selling a game they made more than a decade ago, and do it on the cheap? Classic is no different than any of the dozens of private servers that were run by a couple dudes in basements in Eastern Europe.

On that note, I want to hand it to Blizzard for selling the lie that Classic was some sort of fantastic feat to pull off.
    Classic was not as easy to pull off as a basement private server. Good grief some of you people are idiots. Go watch the videos and read the interviews of how inaccurate private servers are, and how much finagling they had to actually do to ensure classic was as accurate as possible in a quality manner.

its very posible classic has more players
    right now,classic has naxx coming out,the raid most of the people who wanted classic want to see,and bfa is done,its when people stop playing,but inevitably classic will fall off once naxx has been out for months,and shadowlands comes out,but tbc will proly continue to take a fair chunk away
    No, it isn't. There is such a thing as server counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    And have since culled many of those servers. They stated ahead of time that they had plans to add more servers and merge as necessary and they did. Can you point to them saying "Classic is doing much better than we antiticipated?"

If not, what you claim is proof isn't.
    I don't have a quote off the top of my head, but aside from it being obvious based on their original server pool and panicked handling of the situation, I do remember multiple earnings reports articles using words like "better than expected" and citing classic.

So yeah I don't have actual proof from a blizzard employee, but who fucking cares? It's obvious they didn't expect classic to do as well as it did, anyone with the remotest powers of observation can see that was the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jurwi View Post
    For most people, it will.
    Maybe it won't replace the actual servers (if they're smart and do separate ones) but by the seven hells, it will suck a lot of people away from classic.

People always go "then how come tbc private servers weren't as popular" and don't realise it's because there were very few decent BC servers and we have worse code available for it.