Thread: No classic+?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

No classic+?

This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it really isn't in the air because there isn't going to be a Classic+. Blizzard themselves have shot the idea down.

Even when asked about something relatively simple like bringing over HD models from retail, Ion's replay was quote/unquote "we aren't adding things that weren't a part of the original vanilla experience."

As for 'Classic does not get the money that we pay for it' that's silly. You should appreciate that classic is free to anyone that pays a sub, because that is fairly amazing in an era of game developers monetizing anything and everything that they can. So there's no point at all in Blizz wasting time trying to figure out who pays a sub fee explicitly for Classic.

$15 a month for 2 completely separate versions of WoW is a win, regardless of how people feel about Classic or Retail/BFA.

And Blizzard never proposed WoW Classic as a means to fund additional expansions/content for that version of the game. It exists for the people who loved vanilla WoW and think it was the best version of the game. It does not exist as a way to fund more Warlords-type alternate universe expansions that aren't part of the original game canon and its silly that so many people on this forum seemed to assume that would be the case.

The next big 'Classic' thing you're going to see will be BC servers, that has all but been confirmed by comments that Blizz has made and by things like surveys from them about how to handle character generation for those servers.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-09-11 at 10:18 AM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    This is of course still in the air, but do you think it is worth your money when classic does not get the money that we pay for it, and it seems to goto keep retail floating instead.
    From what people are saying Retail still has more players than Classic and is keeping itself afloat on its own.
    Classic money is so far a bonus to Blizzard and potentially going to get even more money for them as they seem to be considering TBC as a viable option to pursue.

When Classic launched I jumped in and hoped for a separate "old school" game with different philosophy. Runescape did it so why not WoW.

When they made the TBC poll though, I lost all hope and quit. I mean it would be awesome if they somehow made it happen but I doubt it.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The fuck are you on about? You got exactly what you paid for, which is WoW retail with access to WoW classic. That was always the deal on the table, they owe you nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    No, it really isn't in the air because there isn't going to be a Classic+. Blizzard themselves have shot the idea down.
    Blizzard themselves shot the idea down of classic itself too, yet here we are.

The likelihood of classic+ (over classic TBC) is slim in my opinion though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't sound particularly interesting. If I want new content from the current dev team then I'll play retail. I would prefer they do Classic TBC and Classic Wrath.

Where do you get the idea that you pay for classic? You pay to play on their servers with the ability to hop into either retail or classic realms. /shrug

TBC will be your classic +

enjoy

Classic+ won't happen because Blizzard won't hire two separate big dev teams to work on two different MMOs at the same time. It is one thing to re-release content that was already made and just needs to be checked that it's not broken when added to this special version of the game, and a completely different thing to make completely new content. For Classic they only needed employees on the technical side of game dev. For Classic+ they'd need everything.

I don't understand this, you pay the money to play classic and on the side you also get access to retail and viceversa it makes no sense for blizzard to pour money into a classic+ that would alienate most of the playerbase who choose to play 1.12 , realistically if that money had to go somewhere it would be to setting up and maintaining both classic and tbc servers. Bet 90% of classic players don't even want a classic+

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I do hope you realize what the release of OS did to RS3. And why Blizzard isn't about to repeat that mistake.
    Did OS do anything to it? RS3 was and is going downhill a long time before OS. Retail wow is in a much better spot than that.

There. Will. Never. Be. A. Classic+.

Classic exists, because it was cheap and easy to do, and increased subs and engagement. Classic+ would require a significant financial investment, and would likely not increase player engagement. Why would they go out of their way to develop a new game tat wouldn't increase, when they could make millions a month selling a game they made more than a decade ago, and do it on the cheap? Classic is no different than any of the dozens of private servers that were run by a couple dudes in basements in Eastern Europe.

On that note, I want to hand it to Blizzard for selling the lie that Classic was some sort of fantastic feat to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Retail WoW is still in a perfectly fine position, while as you said, RS3 was going downhill a long time before OS. OSRS was made to save the dying ship, and it managed, and RS3 has basically died as a result - It has a few thousand players concurrently at any given time, no more than that.

Why would you recommend that Blizzard give up a game which is currently profittable and worthwhile to keep making, to pursue the strategy that only worked because the ship was already sunk? Hell, even OSRS isn't surviving WELL, it's got maybe double or triple the population of RS3. Jagex barely puts out an update every year. You really want THAT to be your Classic+?
    I never recommended Blizz to give up their game. Retail is still good.
    I'd only like to see classic+, since it's the opposite way from always resetting everything. Doesn't feel like you achieve much when it's all down the drain in few years. They could do that with Retail too, but don't think they ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    I never recommended Blizz to give up their game. Retail is still good.
    I'd only like to see classic+, since it's the opposite way from always resetting everything. Doesn't feel like you achieve much when it's all down the drain in few years. They could do that with Retail too, but don't think they ever will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    There. Will. Never. Be. A. Classic+.

Classic exists, because it was cheap and easy to do, and increased subs and engagement. Classic+ would require a significant financial investment, and would likely not increase player engagement. Why would they go out of their way to develop a new game tat wouldn't increase, when they could make millions a month selling a game they made more than a decade ago, and do it on the cheap? Classic is no different than any of the dozens of private servers that were run by a couple dudes in basements in Eastern Europe.

On that note, I want to hand it to Blizzard for selling the lie that Classic was some sort of fantastic feat to pull off.
    Classic exists due to finally retails sub numbers i just that low.

A restart would start at the start.

So what happened to #nochanges crowd? :>

It is beyond stupid to allocate resources updating and therefore effectively branching out classic, instead of creating BC Classic and Wrath Classic which are in incredibly higher demand
    Last edited by oblakoff; 2020-09-11 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    Blizzard themselves shot the idea down of classic itself too, yet here we are.

The likelihood of classic+ (over classic TBC) is slim in my opinion though.
    It isn't slim, it is non-existent.

You're right that they caved on Classic after saying no for a long time. But the difference is, Classic is based on the canonical and original version of the game. Classic+ is a made-up term used by people who don't think Classic is good enough as is, and want changes/updates/stuff that bridges it more closely to retail. Class changes, HD models, AOE looting etc. And Blizz has said (rightfully so) that those kinds of things have no place in Classic.

That just isn't why Classic was released in the first place. It was never about 'now that we've released this, lets turn it into a vanilla/retail hybrid with all-new, made up content!' That isn't going to happen.

Classic exists first and foremost for the people who love vanilla WoW and wanted an official way to experience that version of the game again. The people who play Classic and think 'man this would be so much better with LFD queues and AOE looting and HD models!' weren't the target audience in the first place.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Classic exists due to finally retails sub numbers i just that low.

A restart would start at the start.
    Classic exists, because it was an easy way to make a shit ton of money.

Period.

This was a financial decision on Blizzard's part. Classic+ is a terrible financial decision, which is why Blizzard has already said it will not happen. They already have the next solution, TBC Classic. It's cheap, easy, and the game is already made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    It isn't slim, it is non-existent.
    Being so confident in an absolute statement that you are ultimately as clueless about as everyone else is an interesting take (unless you are Ion/a classic dev I suppose).

As I said, it's definitely slim; however, Blizzard was blown away by how popular classic was. It's not a large stretch to think it's possible to have them give it more thought than they initially thought they would.