Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't care how People want to play their Games. I play the difficulty I find challenge in, so others can do the same.

I quite literally couldn't care if every Single Player game came out with an "invincible" Toggle for People who just want to play through it and see the story and have fun killing shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    It is the same reason that Silent Hill and Resident Evil games don't have a "We're going to remove all suspense, gore, and warn you calmly when enemies approach" mode, that would fundamentally change the game and the target audience.
    No it wouldn't because the People who already would play it on a Harder difficulty still would, and the People that wanted to enjoy the game on an easier setting could as well. I have plenty of friends that love the lore of Soulsborne games, but don't have the ability to play them. So they just watch the let play's on Youtube. Meaning they still see the game anyway, but the developers miss out on a possible sale.

Makes no real sense to gatekeep games when you are potentially just halving your possible sales. It's the same stupidity I see from dipshits that constantly whine about LFR in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its the same reason why grown adults don't dunk on 7 year olds. Sure, its easy, but you're a douchebag. You beat the game but it was super easy, so you look like you completely wasted your time.
    I don't think the People just having fun playing an easy game are the Douchebags in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Did that for the final angel boss in god of war..
    All the Valkyries in GoW were actually not that hard on the grand scale of things. Every single one of them. They were 100% "figure out which fighting style they used and how to respond to the accompanying telegraphs and you win" fights. Every single dangerous move they had was heavily telegraphed. The final Valk fight was just adapting to the fact that she could use ALL of the attack patterns that the other Valks had, while they were usually limited to only a couple each. Sure, the Final one could be a pain if she chained the wrong moves back to back, but it was still just a matter of taking everything you had learned in the other fights and repeating it vs her.

Hell, I would argue that the hardest thing in GoW is the damn Fire Realm trial on the hardest difficulties, as you basically have to be pretty much perfect at instakilling enemies with combos / forcing instakill prompts WHILE doing crowd control to make sure they die inside the target circles on the timed stages, which just takes so much mechanical precision I found it nearly impossible (clearing that section is the last thing I need to 100% that game on PS4, and I basically gave up).
    Last edited by Surfd; 2020-09-14 at 05:01 AM.

I hate difficulty sliders. I ignore them when I can and just play on whatever the default difficulty is.

I hate how artificially most difficulty sliders increase the difficulty of a game. Doing X% less damage while mobs do X% more damage or you generate X% less income is nothing short of stupid to me. At least put in some new affixes or mob types or whatever. These type of sliders just encourage cheesing AI and abusing game mechanics, neither of which is fun to me.

The worst is when the tiers go: easy, hard, extreme with no normal I can default to. Ugh.

good way to have fun, learn the story, get the hang of things.
    if you feel unsatisfied at the end, just increase the difficulty and have at it again.

often even on easy mode some games can be quite challenging.

a lot of games i play don't really have that good combat so when you crank up the time to kill stuff which is what they usually do to make it harder the flaws of the combat systems get worse.. so yeah i'll just chug along in easy mode where it's not as noticeable.

blowing stuff up easilly can also be pretty fun.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Nowadays I mostly play RPGs, 4X and grand strategy games. I usually go with normal so that the AI plays on the same terms as I do, on occasion I go higher if I find it too easy, or if the bonuses the AI receives are not boring (e.g. bullet sponges) or unfair.

I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that we play video games to have fun, so whatever difficulty you choose to play should depend on that. There may be some "shame" in playing multiplayer games on "easy" but other than that, don't worry and play as you want.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    No it wouldn't because the People who already would play it on a Harder difficulty still would, and the People that wanted to enjoy the game on an easier setting could as well. I have plenty of friends that love the lore of Soulsborne games, but don't have the ability to play them. So they just watch the let play's on Youtube. Meaning they still see the game anyway, but the developers miss out on a possible sale.
    So those people should either get determined and play the game, it is a bullshit excuse to claim to not have the ability to play the game while at the same time they don't even make an honest attempt to play the game. Unless you're physically disabled, you can play a Soulsborne game. You might be shit at it to start, you might die a lot, but so what? That is part and parcel of the Soulsborne genre.

People asking for difficulty options don't want to enjoy a Soulsborne game, they want an easier game. The lack of difficulty options to the Soulsborne games is as central to the game as frightening elements are to a horror game. You can't add a difficulty option without fundamentally changing a core aspect of the appeal of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    So those people should either get determined and play the game, it is a bullshit excuse to claim to not have the ability to play the game while at the same time they don't even make an honest attempt to play the game. Unless you're physically disabled, you can play a Soulsborne game. You might be shit at it to start, you might die a lot, but so what? That is part and parcel of the Soulsborne genre.
    Ahh right, I see you are one of those People.

People asking for difficulty options don't want to enjoy a Soulsborne game
    So there is only one way to enjoy a game? Didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its the same reason why grown adults don't dunk on 7 year olds. Sure, its easy, but you're a douchebag. You beat the game but it was super easy, so you look like you completely wasted your time.
    You're comparing PvP to PvE.

Playing against 7 year olds would be like playing against people with a lower MMR in a multiplayer game.

"You look like" who te hell cares what others think when playing a game alone?

Apples and oranges

Generally speaking I prefer to play games on Normal Difficulty on my first playthrough. I feel that is the default experience. If I have trouble at that difficulty...my first thought is that I need to "git gud". At the end of the day though it's more important to me that I enjoy the experience so if that means turning down the difficulty...I'll do that.

10+ Year Old Account

People asking for difficulty options don't want to enjoy a Soulsborne game, they want an easier game. The lack of difficulty options to the Soulsborne games is as central to the game as frightening elements are to a horror game. You can't add a difficulty option without fundamentally changing a core aspect of the appeal of the game.
    Dark Souls is not that great, sorry.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Ahh right, I see you are one of those People.
    Yes, I'm a gamer that took the advice to "git gud" to heart, and I do research if I'm getting my ass kicked and I can't figure out why. I also actually enjoy learning and improving, which is why I like games that provide me those opportunities. I'm not a great player, I'm a mediocre player who is willing to put in the time and effort.

Having to make a choice about difficulty isn't fun for me, I can suffer from choice overload from as few as 2-3 difficulty options.

There aren't many games out there that actually provide an engaging learning experience, a negative result that furthers my knowledge is just as enjoyable for me as a positive result that furthers my knowledge. Most games resort to difficulty tiers that do simple scaling changes that don't fundamentally change the gameplay beyond changing how durable/damaging enemies are, that isn't a fun scale for me to play against for more than a few hours. I can sink 60 hours into a Souls game and still have just as much fun in hour 61 as I did during hour 3, 20, and 45, on the other hand I can have fun in D3 for about 6-10 hours of a season before I get bored and lose interest and need to wait at least 6 months before playing the game again.

I notice you also skipped the second half of my post that directly addressed the problems that often come when adding difficulty options to a multiplayer game.

But rather than make any actual argument you decide to just slap a label on me and dismiss my arguments because "I'm one of those People". If you're not willing to follow through and support your argument, why make it in the first place? You just took the lazy route and resorted to ad hominem as a means of dismissing me, while ignoring my counter-argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    So there is only one way to enjoy a game? Didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know!
    There isn't, I outlined multiple ways, you failing to notice that or choosing to ignore that fact doesn't change the fact that I explicitly outlined multiple ways to progress in the Souls games that don't require you to be good at playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Dark Souls is not that great, sorry.
    Great? At which point did I ever make any claim that suggested the game is great? Please don't attempt to put words in my mouth.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-09-14 at 02:24 PM.
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    I had to turn Doom Eternal down to "Too Young to Die" to fight the final boss and I'm satisfied. I've been stuck on the fight for probably a week or two now, and on the game as a whole for nearly three months, and I just wanted to be done. Even on TYTD it was still pretty intense, though.

In general, is there any shame in playing games on easy? Maybe it was just because Eternal was so mentally exhausting and (literally) headache-inducing to me that I finally needed to dial it down a little- 99% of the time I just play games on normal and they aren't nearly as intense.
    No shame in playing on either difficulty. Everyone has their own reasons and the different difficulties are there just for that.

I tend to start on the absolute hardest (excluding hardcore 1 death = game over) then work my way down if I deem it nescesary. I know that too easy makes me lose intrest, the gameplay becomes an obstacle to the story. Could be the same when playing on a high difficulty as well because it takes too much time and effort that my interest dwindle.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Yes, I'm a gamer that took the advice to "git gud" to heart, and I do research if I'm getting my ass kicked and I can't figure out why. I also actually enjoy learning and improving, which is why I like games that provide me those opportunities. I'm not a great player, I'm a mediocre player who is willing to put in the time and effort.

Having to make a choice about difficulty isn't fun for me, I can suffer from choice overload from as few as 2-3 difficulty options.

There aren't many games out there that actually provide an engaging learning experience, a negative result that furthers my knowledge is just as enjoyable for me as a positive result that furthers my knowledge. Most games resort to difficulty tiers that do simple scaling changes that don't fundamentally change the gameplay beyond changing how durable/damaging enemies are, that isn't a fun scale for me to play against for more than a few hours. I can sink 60 hours into a Souls game and still have just as much fun in hour 61 as I did during hour 3, 20, and 45, on the other hand I can have fun in D3 for about 6-10 hours of a season before I get bored and lose interest and need to wait at least 6 months before playing the game again.

I notice you also skipped the second half of my post that directly addressed the problems that often come when adding difficulty options to a multiplayer game.

But rather than make any actual argument you decide to just slap a label on me and dismiss my arguments because "I'm one of those People". If you're not willing to follow through and support your argument, why make it in the first place? You just took the lazy route and resorted to ad hominem as a means of dismissing me, while ignoring my counter-argument.

- - - Updated - - -

There isn't, I outlined multiple ways, you failing to notice that or choosing to ignore that fact doesn't change the fact that I explicitly outlined multiple ways to progress in the Souls games that don't require you to be good at playing the game.
    Honestly, adding an easier difficulty would only be good for the game. The "hardcore" players keep their game mode and people that are less interested in investing such amount of time would also buy the game. I know as a fact that I stop enjoying most single player games when I have to repeat something (a level, a fight, a boss, a dungeon) more than once because I failed. If those games had an easy difficulty I would buy them. More $$$ for the developers.

More difficulty levels = more potential buyers and there aren't any drawbacks that I can think of

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, adding an easier difficulty would only be good for the game. The "hardcore" players keep their game mode and people that are less interested in investing such amount of time would also buy the game. I know as a fact that I stop enjoying most single player games when I have to repeat something (a level, a fight, a boss, a dungeon) more than once because I failed. If those games had an easy difficulty I would buy them. More $$$ for the developers.

More difficulty levels = more potential buyers and there aren't any drawbacks that I can think of
    That is the thing: The Soulsborne games are multiplayer games. There wouldn't be many drawbacks if the games were single-player titles. The issue is that they're not, they're multiplayer games.

You choosing to not engage in multiplayer doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't a significant aspect of the game, when literally over half of the Covenants in DS1, 2, and 3, are designed around multiplayer.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-09-14 at 02:32 PM.

While I said earlier that I personally prefer to play a game on the normal difficulty the first time though...I do find it hard to understand why that choice should matter to anyone but me. Play games at the difficulty you are comfortable with. Let others play at the difficulty they are comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Penguin View Post
    I had to turn Doom Eternal down to "Too Young to Die" to fight the final boss and I'm satisfied. I've been stuck on the fight for probably a week or two now, and on the game as a whole for nearly three months, and I just wanted to be done. Even on TYTD it was still pretty intense, though.

In general, is there any shame in playing games on easy? Maybe it was just because Eternal was so mentally exhausting and (literally) headache-inducing to me that I finally needed to dial it down a little- 99% of the time I just play games on normal and they aren't nearly as intense.
    wait. even when i ofc understand your question and your intension, are you really asking ppl, if you are somewhat „allowed“ to enjoy easy gaming ???

That is the thing: The Soulsborne games are multiplayer games. There wouldn't be many drawbacks if the games were single-player titles. The issue is that they're not, they're multiplayer games.

You choosing to not engage in multiplayer doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't a significant aspect of the game, when literally over half of the Covenants in DS1, 2, and 3, are designed around multiplayer.
    You know how multiplayer games have different pools of players? Group together Easy with Easy, Medium with Medium, Hard with Hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    But rather than make any actual argument you decide to just slap a label on me and dismiss my arguments because "I'm one of those People". If you're not willing to follow through and support your argument, why make it in the first place?
    Because I wasn't making an argument. I was making a statement. I literally don't give a fuck about what other People think when it comes to an opposite stance on this topic. Anyone against People being able to enjoy Games at a level of their own choice are not worth talking to.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know how multiplayer games have different pools of players? Group together Easy with Easy, Medium with Medium, Hard with Hard.
    Yes, however those games also have conflicts that arise from the separate difficulties existing. An easy example is the amount of shit that the community gets into in WoW when it comes to arguments over difficulties. Introducing multiple difficulties divides the community and provides additional points for conflict within the community.

I think that it is fine that some people like that, but I also don't think it is necessary that be put into every game because then there is no way to avoid it.