Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I thinks thats totally ok. I usually start on normal but if i die 2 or 3 times on a boss i usually switch to easy or use cheatEngine or something. I have no time or patience to spend hours on a stupid boss fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yes, however those games also have conflicts that arise from the separate difficulties existing. An easy example is the amount of shit that the community gets into in WoW when it comes to arguments over difficulties. Introducing multiple difficulties divides the community and provides additional points for conflict within the community.

I think that it is fine that some people like that, but I also don't think it is necessary that be put into every game because then there is no way to avoid it.
    I have a solution to that. Stop carrying about how other people are playing and the conflict is removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I have a solution to that. Stop carrying about how other people are playing and the conflict is removed.
    Except it isn't a solution, because those other people are then playing with me, so how they play then has a direct impact upon my game experience. The conflict cannot be removed unless you do something drastic like locking difficulty at character creation, and locking matchmaking to only match you with players in the same difficulty setting.

This would introduce multiple problems for the Souls series on multiple levels. The most obvious of which is high-skill players making characters on a low difficulty setting, and griefing them.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2020-09-14 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Except it isn't a solution, because those other people are then playing with me, so how they play then has a direct impact upon my game experience.
    Not, if as was suggested, people are grouped with like players in multiplayer settings.

Games with a good story but frustrating combat ill drop to easy, i got tokyo mirage on my switch and it gets frustrating asf in some parts.

I don't care what difficulty other people play their games on, but don't say that adding a slider doesn't have any negative repercussions. That's not true, the existence of a slider has literally been the reason that I've not purchased games in the past. I think it's very hypocritical to call players out that want a 'one difficulty' game-play experience selfish when it's that experience that makes them purchase the game in the first place. Saying 'But you can just pick hard or easy' is irrelevant - I don't want the choice.

Sometimes it's nice to have the option, other times I just don't think it works. Having the freedom to make enemies as easy or hard as I want them to be at any moment truly just takes me out of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    I don't care what difficulty other people play their games on, but don't say that adding a slider doesn't have any negative repercussions. That's not true, the existence of a slider has literally been the reason that I've not purchased games in the past. I think it's very hypocritical to call players out that want a 'one difficulty' game-play experience selfish when it's that experience that makes them purchase the game in the first place. Saying 'But you can just pick hard or easy' is irrelevant - I don't want the choice.

Sometimes it's nice to have the option, other times I just don't think it works. Having the freedom to make enemies as easy or hard as I want them to be at any moment truly just takes me out of the experience.
    Then don't make the choice. Play on the default difficulty and don't change it.

I normally play on medium or hard. Some games have a hard difficulty that is just excessively hard to the point of not being fun so in that case I'll normally go with medium (talking about games that just turn enemies into bullet/sword/whatever sponges). There's no shame in playing on an easier difficulty though.

10+ Year Old Account
    So for every game that forces you to pick a difficulty when starting, they just shouldn't play? Because most games that offer multiple difficulty levels also require you to choose a difficulty when starting a game. The very fact that other options exist turns it into a choice, even if you stick with the default you still are making a choice.
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

You're missing my point. It's not about making a choice, it's about the existence of one.

So for every game that forces you to pick a difficulty when starting, they just shouldn't play? Because most games that offer multiple difficulty levels also require you to choose a difficulty when starting a game. The very fact that other options exist turns it into a choice, even if you stick with the default you still are making a choice.
    That isn't what i said. I said they should just play on the default difficulty...which would be, in most cases, "normal".

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't what i said. I said they should just play on the default difficulty...which would be, in most cases, "normal".
    And that is still a choice because, as I already pointed out, most games that offer multiple difficulty settings require you to select a difficulty when starting a game. Choosing default is still a choice, no matter how much you want to pretend it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zypherz View Post
    You're missing my point. It's not about making a choice, it's about the existence of one.
    No, i get your point. My point is that "Normal" difficulty exists for that reason. Just act as though the other choices do not exist and that's the experience you shall have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nope, Gaming is a hobby and is meant to be enjoyed. If you enjoy playing a game on easy mode than go for it. IMO games should always provide a easy mode.

I'm currently playing Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence and about to move over to Eternal.

Play however you want as long as your enjoying yourself.

(Clearly don't cheat in Multiplayer games)
    Just a small tip about doom,there is a difference between 2016 and eternal on difficulty ^^ if you are going for full hardmode be ready :P dont try hardcore (death= game over ) on your 1st run though ^^

And that is still a choice because, as I already pointed out, most games that offer multiple difficulty settings require you to select a difficulty when starting a game.
    But you're "choosing" the default experience...the other options do not matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you're "choosing" the default experience...the other options do not matter.
    They exist, a choice is being made, pretending that isn't the case is nothing more than lying to yourself.

No, i get your point. My point is that "Normal" difficulty exists for that reason. Just act as though the other choices do not exist and that's the experience you shall have.
    Ok, take Skyrim. I'm stubborn, so I will put the difficulty slider to Legendary and do my best to stick to it. I come up to an enemy that's super overtuned and I can't get past him. I have a few options, I can either level up more, find better gear, try to get past him or try to cheese him to death. OR, I can turn it down to easy for that 1 mob and then turn it up again afterwards.

I don't want that choice in my mind, I want to figure the game out and not have the constant temptation to make it easier or harder for myself. When I start turning it down, the question of 'why even get stronger' crops into my mind; I don't like having the option available.

Never needed to, especially in the era of "normal is the new easy", but if it's what you need to find enjoyment in a particular game then go for it.

They exist, a choice is being made, pretending that isn't the case is nothing more than lying to yourself.
    It's not lying to yourself. You aren't saying "those options do not exist". You are just ignoring them because that's not how you want to play. For you, one difficulty is enough...so for you "Normal" difficulty is the only option that matters. For other people, that choice actually does matter.

playing on the easy/story mode/lfr difficulty makes the game feel a bit 'cheap' but normal mode and above is fine imo (and that comes from someone who usually plays the game at the max difficulty available)

BUT in some games the higest difficulty level is plain BS shutting off certain playstyles completely while barely affecting others, for example in the Elder Scrolls game offensive spells were nearly useless but summons scaled with the difficulty, which practically means that as a caster you mostly hid behind some corner and kept resummoning stuff till they eventually kill something...

BG2 EE with the newest Legacy of Bhaal mode is another example, so goblins have the HP and damage of dragons, what do you do? tank with stoneskin (absorbs X attacks regardless of damage) and use insta kill weapons/spells (kill regardless of life) +Greater Malison, that and cheese, that's how you get through most fights, again and again and again...