Thread: Classic-BC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The only thing official pointing to TBC Classic was a survey emailed out a while back asking questions regarding it. But other than that Blizzard said a word about what happens after Naxx. Nothing has been announced.

General consensus is that the "classic" period of WoW is Vanilla through WotLK. So it kind of makes sense that Blizz is probably looking at doing these 3 expansion at minimum as long as classic stays populated and profitable.

We are supposed to have some sort of Digital Blizzcon early next year. I am betting we will get some news on whats in store for the future of classic. If Blizz follows the release schedule of Vanilla like they have been Naxx Will be out by the end of January so people will be chomping at the bit for news.

TBC implementing question.

Dear classic community how would you like TBC to be implemented, just like classic was implemented with the the starting off 1.12 itemization and talents? And now with TBC patch 2.0.1 talents and itemization and progress forward from that just like retail TBC was?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If they want to preserve Classic as something close to vanilla--I don't know that they want to do that forever but let's assume they do--then BC will need to be something like a standalone.
    Well if they do want to or not probably comes down to how many players will unsubscribe if True Vanilla goes away, and how many private servers pop up to fill that void.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I'd say a non-majority but good chunk quit, and the private servers are up within a week, same ones as before.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly put, we don't know. There's three options here really.

1. All this speculation is for nothing and there is no BC Classic.

2. They do replace Classic with BC.

3. They run Classic and BC side-by-side.
    #3 is what I think they will do. As they launched Classic, they said that they wanted it to run for a long time and would keep it up even if there were only 10k people. It's a museum piece basically. Overwriting Classic servers with TBC would violate that.

Well if they do want to or not probably comes down to how many players will unsubscribe if True Vanilla goes away, and how many private servers pop up to fill that void.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I'd say a non-majority but good chunk quit, and the private servers are up within a week, same ones as before.
    What do you think is going to happen when 99% of the Classic population moves over to TBC?
    Blizzard can definitely keep some Classic servers around, but that's not going to help anyone much when they are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohut View Post
    What do you think is going to happen when 99% of the Classic population moves over to TBC?
    Blizzard can definitely keep some Classic servers around, but that's not going to help anyone much when they are dead.
    That doesnt add up at all - i remember the countless threads saying if wow classic every happened, they would stay in vanilla forever, and enjoy every moment of it. Are you suggesting that they thought they wanted vanilla, but really they wanted tbc/wrath?

I can't imagine a world in which they permanently advance Classic to TBC. TBC Classic is coming, I'm sure, but I'd imagine it would be run in tandem with Classic, allowing players the choice of what experience they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    So I originally thought that Classic was going to be a Evergreen version of Classic forever. There was never going to be a BC or Wrath, and so on.

However, for awhile now I’ve heard people talking about Classic BC and WOWhead has data mined a model of a Outland dragon pet.

So have I always been wrong or did they change their position on Classic? Is Classic simply starting over and marching forward just like retail just 15 years behind.
    They sent out a survey about what people would prefer to do with characters if TBC were to be made, that is no mistake or random question to ask tons of people lol. Also the last time they did a survey like that they essentially told us exactly what the level squish was going to be.

TBC is probably already up and running internally and they are very likely just holding onto it until Naxx is done with, people would be foolish to think they won't do that as it will increase sub numbers considerably just like Classic did and is still doing.

10+ Year Old Account

I don't understand why they would shut down Classic as it is now.

They've said repeatedly that it's there for as long as they have servers up and they don't care how many people are playing it. I expect they will be run separately, hence my comment that Classic BC would act like a standalone.

I don't see any basis whatsoever to make an assumption that with the coming of BC Classic would be shut down.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2020-09-16 at 10:57 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

They've said repeatedly that it's there for as long as they have servers up and they don't care how many people are playing it. I expect they will be run separately, hence my comment that Classic BC would act like a standalone.

I don't see any basis whatsoever to make an assumption that with the coming of BC Classic would be shut down.
    I am confident based on their communication that Blizzard have every intention of keeping classic "as a museum piece". What will be interesting is if they decide to move forward with TBC classic, how will they manage the remaining classic players? Lets be honest, the amount of players moving into TBC would very likely greatly exceed those wanting to remain in vanilla, which will cause issues for those wanting to keep playing group content in vanilla.

Server mergers or some for of connected realms could be an option, but im really not sure how it would work.

Every time I remember Blizzard sending out a survey on something, the thing happened (such as the Shadowlands level squish). BC Classic is a question of when and how, not if, and is as Ion said the logical next step.

As to when, mid/late 2021 seems like a good guess, since that will be when Shadowlands subs dip and a new boost is required. As to how, I got no clue honestly. My best guess is that vanilla servers stay vanilla and you can copy your character(s) to new TBC realms, but Blizzard might instead force TBC and allow copy to Classic realms, who knows at this point. I'm pretty sure they won't start TBC servers from level 1, that would suck real donkey balls for those who spent a lot of time in Classic and accumulated so much, which will be a lot of the audience moving on to TBC's Fel-greener pastures.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    Of course they will release TBC, and in a distant future, WotlK. They are just thinking how are they gonna charge us for that. Probably $20 to transfer over your classic characters over the next expansion.
    lol thats extremly silly,no way will they charge for a transfer,classic has other services now to make money that werent back then,also you still need a sub so the profit is there with basicaly zero effort from them

if in any way they ever decide to want to monitise it more,at most they maybe would force you to own the latest expansion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Honestly don’t think I’d play a tbc server, can see the appeal though.
    I rly dont understand how people prefer classic over tbc,i know they do,we have seen it with private server numbers,but what is it?the only thing i can see in tbc being bad is flying,everything else is improved...a much better pvp system and gearing,better classes,better customization with sokets and itemization,much better raiding

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Classic needs some kind of optional seasonality system I guess.
    I'm sure classic BC and LK will happen as they are the most popular old expansions and rightfully so. They would cash in millions of $, they would be stupid not to do it.
    yeah,this would be the best way to keep people playing classic,have 2 kinds of realms,progressive ones and standard,once the progresive ones run their corse,all characters get moved to normal ones and the progresive ones reset,basicaly like path of exile does or diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Driahtvacahtve View Post
    It'll be the end of classic for me at least if a BC announcement rolls out. Half my guild is gonna move there and my interest in classic was specifically that we WOULDN'T be getting these expansion re-releases and power resets that negate the progress so far.
    If they go ahead with that they precisely take away the unchanging predictable world I enjoy playing in and the community I enjoy playing with, so I'll likely just finally throw in the towel and unsub. Plenty of other things to do anyway.
    Half your guild was going to leave once they got the stuff they wanted from Naxx. Expansions especially the next 2 are the only way they are going to get consistent Subs out of this experiment. They already see the exodus between content pushes. It will only get worse when there is no content coming in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling that you will have the option to continue your character in Classic Vanilla or Move your character to a Classic TBC realm to play.It will also give them the venue to do server squish(prune out classic servers to continue with a healthy population) and have a way to balance servers after TBC
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2020-09-17 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    This was never explicitly stated nor implied
    They said they wanted Classic to be a museum piece. Implication is they were not seriously looking at TBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

15+ Year Old Account
    Save the economy first----->On release; make all your current items soulbound. Remove all gold. Problem solved.

So I originally thought that Classic was going to be a Evergreen version of Classic forever. There was never going to be a BC or Wrath, and so on.

However, for awhile now I’ve heard people talking about Classic BC and WOWhead has data mined a model of a Outland dragon pet.

So have I always been wrong or did they change their position on Classic? Is Classic simply starting over and marching forward just like retail just 15 years behind.
    It will be evergreen. They'll launch new servers for BC, they won't use the current Classic servers
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    lol thats extremly silly,no way will they charge for a transfer,classic has other services now to make money that werent back then,also you still need a sub so the profit is there with basicaly zero effort from them

if in any way they ever decide to want to monitise it more,at most they maybe would force you to own the latest expansion

- - - Updated - - -

I rly dont understand how people prefer classic over tbc,i know they do,we have seen it with private server numbers,but what is it?the only thing i can see in tbc being bad is flying,everything else is improved...a much better pvp system and gearing,better classes,better customization with sokets and itemization,much better raiding

- - - Updated - - -

yeah,this would be the best way to keep people playing classic,have 2 kinds of realms,progressive ones and standard,once the progresive ones run their corse,all characters get moved to normal ones and the progresive ones reset,basicaly like path of exile does or diablo
    For me it is just that I did everything in tbc, there is nothing I’d go back and redo. Classic is just a mess to play and thus interesting I guess, one I hit 60 I’ll be pretty done too but tbc it just all seem even more pointless to do.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    My guess Naxxramas will launch around 15th-30th January (so midway through 9.0 SL season) and we will hear about Classic BC soon later - probably on that early '21 Blizzcon replacement.

Launch could be anywhere during Q3/Q4 '21, most likely in lowest point of SL (from subs count POV), something like 9.1 - March, second raid - April, 9.1.5 - June, 9.2 - August, so BC around October '21.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will keep some iteration of Classic servers open as some people are happy with that and it's all they want to play, not everyone is interested in TBC. Even though they are a niche market, they will still keep paying for Classic access so Blizzard will cater to them in some way or form. I'm personally starting to get bored out of my mind with AQ because I hate it, but I can't wait for Naxx. Even then, I can't play Naxx forever and my expected 6+months of it will likely cause me to take a break. Not sure how people will solely play Classic and enjoy it, but each to their own.

I think the best way would be to cause the current servers to progress onto TBC and then have separate new servers for people to transfer/copy off to play Classic if they want to. Some people have played Classic because they wanted to experience it, but also because they were expecting TBC to come after (me included). That seems logical to me. Never know with Blizzard, though.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

curious as to why would you even think a server would be perpetually in classic. This sounds like a nightmare
    You don't understand. Having an unpayed full time job that no one appreciates is the magic of classic.

It's about the journey. The journey into depression. The journey of running a daycare full of middle-aged alcoholics ignoring their SOs and avoiding social engagements to fulfill something they wanted 15 years ago before everyone realized it's not hard at all.